Our Guards can't draw fouls | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Our Guards can't draw fouls

Reaction Score
34 of their points were in the paint and nearly 2/3 of the shot attempts were 2 pointers. This is a weird take on this game specifically.

It's the narrative about why "we suck" that matters to the malcontents...Only the narrative.

I wonder if they even watch the games sometime. Or even look at the box score.

I swear they have a MSWord document with canned posts ready to copy-paste into threads.

For laughs, I always like to watch the progression of "likes" and "thumbs down" responses to these kind of posts. It's the message board equivalent of "Mean Girls".

There are some that must have notifications on for when their ilk drop a post...and if they haven't liked the post within 10 minutes, I worry for their health (because they are almost always "old guard" fans). I'm not being facetious here.

Reaction Score
We don't go hard to the rim. We turn the corner then look to pass or float backwards and throw up a shot.

Jackson did it once and they gave him a path to the basket. You have tom be willing to go hard and take the contact. I don't balme Hawkins because he did it early in the year and got destroyed.
This needs to be an emphasis with coaching, how to take it to the rim more often and draw contact. Even if we don't have the bruising physical kinds of players, I don't see why they can't do what Xavier and Providence did to us- we still have good players even if right now they are just thinking shoot the 3. Man, do I miss Tyrese Martin. It is hard to overcome being outscored on the line by 15-20 points and hope somehow you'll still win against a good team. But it isn't all offense- the defense strategy is letting these teams drive at will and allows them to create one-on-one opportunities. Hurley isn't know as a great offensive coach, his reputation is of being a defensive coach, so I'd like to see him come up with better defensive schemes that eliminate so many chances for opponents to drive to the hoop (and get fouled).

Reaction Score
Tonight our guards drove to the basket, got fouled, but they were not called.
That being said, its pretty obvious they have no "Off hands" and really can't finish at the rim. The scout is definitely out that they will pass it from 3 ft. Jackson sometimes is wide open in the lane at 6-7 ft and tries to pass to Sanogo under the rim, turnover.
Its also pretty obvious that its much easier to get the ball to Clingan than Sanogo in the lane, bigger target and better hands.
Solution?

Reaction Score
Newton needs to drive more. He drove in the first half and got a foul call and or made a basket, toward end of game he drove again. Between that though, not enough. Jackson needs desperately to be more aggressive on offense. He should be driving more since he is so athletic. Feel like one play he drove resulted in a dunk and the other he wasn't 100% if he was going to pull up for a mid range shot or try and 1 hand lob it in but didn't hit. The problem though with driving and kick outs though again was guys missing open shots.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Did you watch the game? We took 22 threes. Pee Cee took 18. That doesn't explain annything.
And that was after we were behind and trying to catch up late. Earlier they had more 3s than UConn. Newton started off driving from the beginning of the game. We all cheered it. Then he got hacked and hammered without calls and went away from it. It changes your mindset.

Reaction Score
This is a bit of a straw man. I’m not saying PC didn’t force the issue more, but UConn drew a lot of contact today. Newton and Hawkins both took it to the hoop multiple times with contact. Hawkins was fighting through a ton of contact and holding off ball. Sanogo played through a lot of contact. The point you’re making was much more valid against Xavier than against PC.
Unbelievable how much their hands were on Hawkins off the ball with no calls. I give him credit for keeping his composure

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tonight our guards drove to the basket, got fouled, but they were not called.
That being said, its pretty obvious they have no "Off hands" and really can't finish at the rim. The scout is definitely out that they will pass it from 3 ft. Jackson sometimes is wide open in the lane at 6-7 ft and tries to pass to Sanogo under the rim, turnover.
Its also pretty obvious that its much easier to get the ball to Clingan than Sanogo in the lane, bigger target and better hands.

Case in point, in the first half, Newton had a clear path to the rim along the baseline, drove in to the lane for an almost uncontested lay up but passed it to the opposite side for a corner 3. Needs to shoot that ball.

Bottom line, I want Newton, Hawkins and Alleyne all thinking shoot and score when they get in the lane. I'd really like Jackson to do that too but I think that boat has sailed. Jackson is the only player I want trying to make plays on the fly (literally and figuratively) while in the lane. Let Sanogo, Clingan and Karaban get the offense rebounds and score. But teams have scouted and learned to back off UConn guards in the lane and sag towards Sanogo or Clingan.

Oh, by the way, old man yelling at clouds. Learning how to jump stop in the lane between FT line and the arc would be dreamy.

Reaction Score
And that was after we were behind and trying to catch up late. Earlier they had more 3s than UConn. Newton started off driving from the beginning of the game. We all cheered it. Then he got hacked and hammered without calls and went away from it. It changes your mindset.
Yep. In the first half, we shot 7 threes vs their 9. We outscored them in the paint by a good margin, pounding it inside. We ended up with multiple players in foul trouble while PC barely hit the bonus.

Reaction Score
Adams, Kemba, Shabazz all drew fouls because they knew how to drive to the hole (under control) and force fouls. I see a lot of team's guards driving on us, and I see a lot of our guards driving and kicking the ball out to the three etc. We don't have guards that are consistently making tough driving layups (under control)

Reaction Score
Newton is, was and will be the answer. His main skill is drawing fouls. Hurley needs to keep mentioning in the press that we just aren't getting the calls. The foul disparity is sickening. Yes, we foul quite a bit, but we get 0 calls at the rim. Newton is historically a foul magnet.

I said weeks ago, Newton needs to be empowered to do his thing and stop deferring to Hawk and Sanogo. We need the Newton that played for ECU. He isn't even trying to be that guy. He's trying to be a pass first guard and he just isn't. You don't go from 18ppg in the AAC to this guy without the coach having something to do with it. They've got to embrace him as the lead guard and get him going.

Reaction Score
Newton is, was and will be the answer. His main skill is drawing fouls. Hurley needs to keep mentioning in the press that we just aren't getting the calls. The foul disparity is sickening. Yes, we foul quite a bit, but we get 0 calls at the rim. Newton is historically a foul magnet.

I said weeks ago, Newton needs to be empowered to do his thing and stop deferring to Hawk and Sanogo. We need the Newton that played for ECU. He isn't even trying to be that guy. He's trying to be a pass first guard and he just isn't. You don't go from 18ppg in the AAC to this guy without the coach having something to do with it. They've got to embrace him as the lead guard and get him going.

Yeah I agree. His strength isn't the PG position, his strength is driving to the hole and scoring. If Jackson isn't going to be aggressive on offense or settle for 3s, have him play point.

Reaction Score
Solution?
My solution would be to bag the "high pick and rolls" and go to way more spacing, get the ball to Hawkins and let him go on on one for awhile or use the spacing to have Sanogo ISO one on one, mix it up.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
The last two games the foul calls seemed very weak in spots - there had to be at least two instances where Sanogo was surrounded by 3 or 4 opponents grabbing at him with no call. I'm sorry there is just no way that's clean. Home advantage and all I guess.

I'm with "Newton needs to go back to early season - drive and draw fouls as his focus" crew. If we look back he wasn't even making shots just drawing a ton of fouls and hitting his FTs.

The 3 is important but it seems like DH has sacrificed everything on the altar of hitting and defending them. Yes, this game the # taken was more reasonable but the philosophy remains.

Reaction Score
The most important play of the game to me was actually the called foul on Newton while driving up 7-2 in the first half. It seemed like a clear shooting foul to me and Newton was confused it was called on the ground. That ensuing inbounds resulted in the missed Andre oop and shortly after, his missed runner and second foul. Imagine being up 9-2 with all of the momentum and Andre still with 1 foul. Game changed immediately after that.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
So does Hurley have to be an angel for 3 years to get a fair shake...seems that way.

No coach needs to be an angel BUT there is a difference in being a name calling annoyance and an effective complainer

Reaction Score
UConn took 22 threes and Providence took 18. Shooting threes wasn’t the reason for the foul disparity. Simply big east home cooking, though Providence was tougher.
How old are you? 12?

Part of game management is understanding how the game is being called and adapting to it.

Anyone watching that game could see that it was PC who was forcing the action. When you do that, good things happen. When you take the ball to the hole, there’s a good chance a foul is going to be called in your favor. Cooley understands that and he kept doing it as long as it was working. Hurley didn’t adapt. He just cursed, whined, and complained.

PC also set the up tempo pace of the game so that it became a track meet. Not only did they force the action on offense, but they employed a 3/4 press much of the 2nd half as well, which disrupted our offense. Hurley had no answers.

The notion of “home cooking” is nonsense. The days when the home team hired the refs are from some time in the last century. These are professional referees, hired, supervised, and evaluated by the league. The idea that they are favoring one team over the other is childish.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The most important play of the game to me was actually the called foul on Newton while driving up 7-2 in the first half. It seemed like a clear shooting foul to me and Newton was confused it was called on the ground. That ensuing inbounds resulted in the missed Andre oop and shortly after, his missed runner and second foul. Imagine being up 9-2 with all of the momentum and Andre still with 1 foul. Game changed immediately after that.
The most important play for me was when Sanogo missed a chippy with UConn gaining momentum and down by five late in the 2nd half - that changed the mojo

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Here's a screenshot of the first 3 txts sent to my sister.

The 2nd was when Tristen's drive to the basket shocked me by being considere non-shooting, and the 3rd was when AJax missed the runner from inside the lane, after the inbounds and before foul #2
Screenshot_20230105-130040.png

Reaction Score

if the national media finally got the message the refs have taken their grudge w/ hurley too far, this guy wasnt one of them

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom