Our Guards can't draw fouls | The Boneyard

Our Guards can't draw fouls

Reaction Score
This is becoming an obvious problem. Our guards have trouble going north/south and don't draw contact. Newtown is the only one who can remotely do so.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This is becoming an obvious problem. Our guards have trouble going north/south and don't draw contact. Newtown is the only one who can remotely do so.
The team isn't built for iso ball. It's built to play a European passing style, which is great when you have leads but problematic when you don't have a go-to guy when down 10.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They drew a lot of fouls this season until they apparently stopped being fouls over the last 2-3 games.

It's because they don't force the issue getting to the rim. They get in the lane and then get lost. Hawkins had a couple of nice drives with clean looks at the rim. Calcaterra isn't going to draw many fouls. Diarra avoids fouls because he can't make FT's. Newton is indecisive and doesn't force the issue enough.

PG play has been abhorrent for all the BE games. Newton is lost right now and Diarra isn't an offensive threat.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
They drew a lot of fouls this season until they apparently stopped being fouls over the last 2-3 games.
That happens when you play cupcakes. We have played one elite team (Alabama) and two others with a pulse (Iowa State and Nova). The rest of our schedule has been garbage (and don't give me UNC-Wilmington, who is a CAA-version of Butler).

Reaction Score
I don’t think our playstyle has changed much from our OOC playstyle which consistently generated 20+ FTA per game

But you’re right, Newton has looked lost in the paint recently. He should know now that he’s not getting the same calls he used to, so he’s just gotta go up strong and force a basket or a whistle. He’s playing a bit scared

Reaction Score
The team isn't built for iso ball. It's built to play a European passing style, which is great when you have leads but problematic when you don't have a go-to guy when down 10.
Thought we had a go to guy..the preseason player of the year. 0 points and 2 rebounds in the second half tonight. I say not only play Clingan more but start him.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I don’t think our playstyle has changed much from our OOC playstyle which consistently generated 20+ FTA per game

But you’re right, Newton has looked lost in the paint recently. He should know now that he’s not getting the same calls he used to, so he’s just gotta go up strong and force a basket or a whistle. He’s playing a bit scared
The level of opponent has though. Outside of Alabama and maybe Iowa State, Xavier and Providence are the two best teams we have played up to this point.

Reaction Score
We don't go hard to the rim. We turn the corner then look to pass or float backwards and throw up a shot.

Jackson did it once and they gave him a path to the basket. You have tom be willing to go hard and take the contact. I don't balme Hawkins because he did it early in the year and got destroyed.

Reaction Score
Hard to draw fouls from outside the arc. Our offense mostly revolves around the top of the key weave and chucking up threes. When the ball is dropped down low it is to Sanogo who at times is more likely to draw an offensive foul.

Reaction Score

Newton needs to Take the ball to the basket to score, not to pass. Must be much more aggressive

Reaction Score
We don't go hard to the rim. We turn the corner then look to pass or float backwards and throw up a shot.

Jackson did it once and they gave him a path to the basket. You have tom be willing to go hard and take the contact. I don't balme Hawkins because he did it early in the year and got destroyed.
That’s what I’ve been saying.

Same problem with Sanogo. He doesn’t go hard to the rim.

Reaction Score
34 of their points were in the paint and nearly 2/3 of the shot attempts were 2 pointers. This is a weird take on this game specifically.
Outside of forcing it down low to Sanogo...Who's guards drove more?

Reaction Score
Outside of forcing it down low to Sanogo...Who's guards drove more?
This is a bit of a straw man. I’m not saying PC didn’t force the issue more, but UConn drew a lot of contact today. Newton and Hawkins both took it to the hoop multiple times with contact. Hawkins was fighting through a ton of contact and holding off ball. Sanogo played through a lot of contact. The point you’re making was much more valid against Xavier than against PC.

Reaction Score
Tonight our guards drove to the basket, got fouled, but they were not called.
That being said, its pretty obvious they have no "Off hands" and really can't finish at the rim. The scout is definitely out that they will pass it from 3 ft. Jackson sometimes is wide open in the lane at 6-7 ft and tries to pass to Sanogo under the rim, turnover.
Its also pretty obvious that its much easier to get the ball to Clingan than Sanogo in the lane, bigger target and better hands.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
They are getting fouled. Just not called

Reaction Score
Scared to throw it inside to our bigs lately. At least consistently so that and maybe they can get fouled because it ain’t gonna happen with our guards not driving.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom