Our great point guards | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Our great point guards

Reaction Score
Joey was also "can't miss" from the free throw line.
If you want to go that far back Al Weston set a record for consecutive free throws Ivthink. And Jimmy Foster led UConn to an upset of St Johns in the NIT when the NIT still mattered. They lost to BC in the next game when Dee Rowe tried to play the 4 corners with a big lead.

Reaction Score
Sorry but KEA is not in the same league as Kemba and Shabazz. Those two were clearly the leaders of their respective Championship teams, and by far the best players on those squads. KEA was great, but Rip Hamilton was the best player on the 99 Championship team. In fact, Rip was a first team All American. Both Kemba and Bazz were consensus first team All Americans. El Amin was not an All American.

Also, take a look at their NBA careers. Kemba is an elite NBA player and Bazz has been in the league for 5 plus seasons and has played in 295 NBA games. Khalid got waived or cut after one season, appearing in a total of 50 NBA games. That should tell you something.

It's Kemba and Shabazz, a gap, and then KEA leads the second group. Behind him are Marcus, AJ, Doron and Boatright, in no particular order. Chris Smith was never a true point, but he probably is the last guy in the second group.

The third group is Taliek, Tate, Ollie, Ricky Moore and Kelly. Moore was never a backup or off guard. We played with two point guards. Hobbs and Adams bring up the rear.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Chris Smith was never a true point, but he probably is the last guy in the second group.
True, he was the prototypical combo guard. But a big chunk of the combo was playing the point. One of the things that made the Dream Season team so tough was their seamless three guard rotation. Smitty started out at SG with Tate then moved to PG when Gwynn came in. The same thing next year, swapping Pikell for George.

Reaction Score
True, he was the prototypical combo guard. But a big chunk of the combo was playing the point. One of the things that made the Dream Season team so tough was their seamless three guard rotation. Smitty started out at SG with Tate then moved to PG when Gwynn came in. The same thing next year, swapping Pikell for George.

My recollection was that at least 75% of Smith's minutes in 89-90 were at the 2. Gwynn spelled Smith just as much as he did Tate, and when Tate was out they employed Nadav as a point foward even more. Then when Smith was asked to be the primary point guard as we moved away from Pikiell late in '91 and in '92, he struggled with it. The lack of a point guard in '92 killed what should have been a very good team.

Reaction Score
It's Kemba and Shabazz, a gap, and then KEA leads the second group. Behind him are Marcus, AJ, Doron and Boatright, in no particular order. Chris Smith was never a true point, but he probably is the last guy in the second group.

The third group is Taliek, Tate, Ollie, Ricky Moore and Kelly. Moore was never a backup or off guard. We played with two point guards. Hobbs and Adams bring up the rear.
Hogwash. Khalid could play with any of them. He was better than all the guys you have in his group except maybe Smith but he was not a true point guard. Boat right couldn’t carry his sneakers. Game on the line you give me Khalid and I’ll take my chances. Guy knew how to win.

Reaction Score
Hogwash. Khalid could play with any of them. He was better than all the guys you have in his group except maybe Smith but he was not a true point guard. Boat right couldn’t carry his sneakers. Game on the line you give me Khalid and I’ll take my chances. Guy knew how to win.

Um, I basically had him third (you know, where I said he leads the second group) so I don't know who you are arguing with. But yes, I think there is a gap between him and Kemba/Shabazz.

Reaction Score
Excellent stuff. Even then knew of Al as a kid and having a chance in a closed scrimmage to see him was a treat when he was in HS. Played baseball and/or basketball with a few Cromwell guys back in the days. Was Al Holowesko a Cromwell guy? Dave Pitruzello I played at MXCC with there were others who's names escape my old memory too.
Yes-both Holowesko and Pitruzello were Cromwell guys.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom