Our great point guards | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Our great point guards

Reaction Score
Sorry but KEA is not in the same league as Kemba and Shabazz. Those two were clearly the leaders of their respective Championship teams, and by far the best players on those squads. KEA was great, but Rip Hamilton was the best player on the 99 Championship team. In fact, Rip was a first team All American. Both Kemba and Bazz were consensus first team All Americans. El Amin was not an All American.

Also, take a look at their NBA careers. Kemba is an elite NBA player and Bazz has been in the league for 5 plus seasons and has played in 295 NBA games. Khalid got waived or cut after one season, appearing in a total of 50 NBA games. That should tell you something.

Maybe my fave UConn story of all-time is that Khalid, on his recruiting visit, started yelling at his teammates during a pickup game. Directing traffic, calling for screens, blasting people for doing the wrong thing. Rip was the best player on that team, no doubt. But Khalid made us a champion with his toughness and heart. For that reason alone he is right there with Kemba and Bazz.

Reaction Score
Sorry but KEA is not in the same league as Kemba and Shabazz. Those two were clearly the leaders of their respective Championship teams, and by far the best players on those squads. KEA was great, but Rip Hamilton was the best player on the 99 Championship team. In fact, Rip was a first team All American. Both Kemba and Bazz were consensus first team All Americans. El Amin was not an All American.

Also, take a look at their NBA careers. Kemba is an elite NBA player and Bazz has been in the league for 5 plus seasons and has played in 295 NBA games. Khalid got waived or cut after one season, appearing in a total of 50 NBA games. That should tell you something.
KEA and Bazz are my favorite Huskys. Never made sense KEA didn’t get the NBA chance. To me he was as good as Bazz and better than KO though different skills. Sometimes you need to be lucky And get the right spot at the right time., but the guy is a champion and it was a loss that someone didn‘t use his leadership and skill. I know the NBA guys are going to say he was too slow, no hops etc.

Reaction Score
And aside from Kemba, I'd say that Marcus W was the most talented PG we've had. Best passer without question. Did not have a better career than many others, but the talent was incredible. I'm still shocked he did not become an awesome NBA PG. AJP is also incredibly underrated.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
In a 1 on 1 I would take Boatright, Kemba, and Doron Sheffer at the top of my list.

Marcus Williams, AJ Price, and Shabazz follow shortly after.

Reaction Score
KEA is Kahlid el Amin and you have him 10th. He is top 3 for sure. That kid was the man on the 1st championship team. Bazz carried his team, Kemba likewise (with a better cast around him) while Taliek had the most talent around him; but Kahlid was a killer on the court.
This was not a ranked list. He has the best handle of the bunch. He and chris smith would be fun

Reaction Score
Al Weston needs to be in the conversation. Graduated as a top-10 all-time scorer in UConn history.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did Ben Gordon disappear from Uconn history?
How can you create a list of top guards at uconn and not have this guy?
he's arguably in the top 3.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Kemba is number one with Bazz and Kea tied in my opinion.
After that I would go with Doron, Smith, Boat, Tate, Macus and the AJ.

Reaction Score

It says "PG's" otherwise he's be all over this thread.

Reaction Score
Al Weston needs to be in the conversation. Graduated as a top-10 all-time scorer in UConn history.

Absolutely loved Al Weston great name to bring up. Saw him when I was about 11-12 in a scrimmage vs my brothers Malonly team while he was at Cromwell HS. A terrific scorer, shooter would've eaten up the 3 pt line with his range. But he wasn't a PG always an off guard despite his size so can't make this list but is a very underrated Husky.

Jimmy Foster could get a vote or 2 I believe for the PGs, tremendous talent also.

Reaction Score
Doron could play, he was drafted by the clippers but chose to go back home and play

Reaction Score
Absolutely loved Al Weston great name to bring up. Saw him when I was about 11-12 in a scrimmage vs my brothers Malonly team while he was at Cromwell HS. A terrific scorer, shooter would've eaten up the 3 pt line with his range. But he wasn't a PG always an off guard despite his size so can't make this list but is a very underrated Husky.

Jimmy Foster could get a vote or 2 I believe for the PGs, tremendous talent also.
Al was a shooting guard, my bad. I grew up in Cromwell, and Al’s a local legend. The high school team won four state championships in a row in the late ‘60s - early ‘70s, with Al leading the Panthers to three of them. Check my avatar.

Reaction Score
Al was a shooting guard, my bad. I grew up in Cromwell, and Al’s a local legend. The high school team won four state championships in a row in the late ‘60s - early ‘70s, with Al leading the Panthers to three of them. Check my avatar.

Excellent stuff. Even then knew of Al as a kid and having a chance in a closed scrimmage to see him was a treat when he was in HS. Played baseball and/or basketball with a few Cromwell guys back in the days. Was Al Holowesko a Cromwell guy? Dave Pitruzello I played at MXCC with there were others who's names escape my old memory too.

Reaction Score
Focusing more on actual point guards. Not combos. Guys who spent well over 75% or so running the offense. Yes I may be off on doron as more of a true 1, but I think the rest are all in the top tier of career assists and so. I would certainly have Ben in any list as he is pretty much one of my 4-5 players ever.

Reaction Score
If this was top guards I would think Ray would be first

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn has been known as a PG university for a long time. I remember catching a segment of Scholastic Sports Academy on Ricky Moore when he was in high school. It said there he was going to UConn to be "their next great point guard."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom