Our "good" losses aren't looking so good... | The Boneyard

Our "good" losses aren't looking so good...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Syracuse and Gonzaga are not exactly helping us lately. cuse dropped to 0-2 in ACC out of the gates, and zags are getting they're a$$es handed to them @ san fran

Going to have to just keep on winning, or we could be DOOOMED

caw

Reaction Score
Cuse wasn't a good loss, but at least their RPI should stay relatively high.

Gonzaga lost their center, they may struggle. I think a competent committee will be aware.

Reaction Score
Syracuse lost a couple road games to good teams without their head coach. I don't know whether they'll make the tournament, but I don't think they'll be considered a bad loss, either. Hopefully the committee accounts for the fact that we had 16 hours rest between the Michigan and Syracuse games (I doubt it, though).

Gonzaga stormed back to beat San Francisco. They've been playing pretty poorly, but I can't imagine a team with Wiltjer and Sabnois falling too far in that conference. You have to think they'll figure it out.

Reaction Score
Syracuse and Gonzaga are not exactly helping us lately. cuse dropped to 0-2 in ACC out of the gates, and zags are getting they're a$$es handed to them @ san fran

Going to have to just keep on winning, or we could be DOOOMED
LOL! Way to talk to soon about the Gonzaga game. Just win baby and UCONN will be fine.

Reaction Score
LOL! Way to talk to soon about the Gonzaga game. Just win baby and UCONN will be fine.
I was hoping that my post would enact some boneyard magic and cause them to pull it out. Glad it worked

caw

Reaction Score
Syracuse lost a couple road games to good teams without their head coach. I don't know whether they'll make the tournament, but I don't think they'll be considered a bad loss, either. Hopefully the committee accounts for the fact that we had 16 hours rest between the Michigan and Syracuse games (I doubt it, though).

Gonzaga stormed back to beat San Francisco. They've been playing pretty poorly, but I can't imagine a team with Wiltjer and Sabnois falling too far in that conference. You have to think they'll figure it out.

Cuse also lost to SJU.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I blame our loss to a mediocre Syracuse team to our inability to beat the zone. Time after time it seems like Ollie's teams really struggle against zone defenses, our offense gets stagnant and our guys resort to taking contested 3's instead of attacking the zones.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Even some of our good wins: Texas lost by 10+ to a bad Texas Tech team.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Even some of our good wins: Texas lost by 10+ to a bad Texas Tech team.
I stand corrected...still disappointed that they lost but it was 8 pts and TTU has won ten in a row

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I stand corrected...still disappointed that they lost but it was 8 pts and TTU has won ten in a row
The RPI is a cruel mistress. Texas Tech has the #4 RPI according to ESPN, but get this: they haven't played a single road game yet, and have only played one P5 school with tournament expectations, who they lost to.

Reaction Score
I blame our loss to a mediocre Syracuse team to our inability to beat the zone. Time after time it seems like Ollie's teams really struggle against zone defenses, our offense gets stagnant and our guys resort to taking contested 3's instead of attacking the zones.
I recall the zone playing havoc with calhouns teams as well. The zone can be effective. That's why teams use it.

It certainly isn't a deficiency specific to Ollie or his coaching ability.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Two sides to every coin...Michigan and OSU have won 6/5 games straight.

beat me too it, both of those teams playing well and Ohio St rolled UK

Reaction Score
Only Michigan will look really good maybe even great at the end. Texas will struggle because the Big 12 teams will dominate the middle, Ohio State will continue to be a mystery. The teams that beat us, well. Maryland will stand as a good loss. Syracuse will continue to struggle and Gonzaga, well they will get to 20 plus wins because of their conference but nothing of quality. Overall, Uconn should not have to bank on any of that as long as we do what we are capable of doing! Win win win!

willie99

Reaction Score
^^^^^^
true, we need to make sure we're not a bubble team

willie99

Reaction Score
I know they all count but our guys just need to take care of business and not allow the committee to decide over their schedule. Last night was almost huge trouble and hopefully they learn

I was thinking that's the type of loss that can put you on the bubble, and we can't afford those losses being in the AAC and not having representation on the committee

those bums are looking for reasons to exclude other teams and land another one of their own, the undeniable proof is in the details

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I was thinking that's the type of loss that can put you on the bubble, and we can't afford those losses being in the AAC and not having representation on the committee

those bums are looking for reasons to exclude other teams and land another one of their own, the undeniable proof is in the details
I would say Cincinnati is more of a bubble team than we are right now. But that goes to show you what 1 loss can do. The conference is worse this year than last year - we cannot afford mistakes or we will be left out. Not to mention the only team that looks like a tournament team is SMU - and that's splendid.

Reaction Score
I recall the zone playing havoc with calhouns teams as well. The zone can be effective. That's why teams use it.

'99 for example. I was confident going in the championship because Duke played mtm. The only games in which we struggled that year were against the zone.

Reaction Score
I can't call any loss to Syracuse a bad loss. Its a rivalry game for all intent. There is a lot of history between the two programs over the last 30 years that lead to the players and fans getting jacked for it. If one team was 10 and 0 and the other was 0 and 10, it would still be a dog fight.

That said, the NCAA will use anything to penalize UConn.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score

We have struggled recently much more than in the past. Calhouns last few years also struggled with the zone, but before that we didn't seem to have much of a problem. After all the UConn-Syracuse series is around .500.

Reaction Score
No such thing as "good losses". We just need to avoid bad losses. And there's no way Gonzaga will be flagged as a bad loss come Selection Sunday.

I do have no problem taking Cuse as a "bad loss" if it means they had that terrible a season.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
No loss is a good loss.
The RPI thing has become a joke and don't think the NCAA even has an idea of how it works or why.
UConn needs to just win and avoid 21-0 runs against them (or whatever that crap was last night)
It starts Tuesday vs Temple who got thumped yesterday and should be out for blood themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom