Our girls were not ready for a Chicago Street fight last night | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Our girls were not ready for a Chicago Street fight last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I never felt like we were going to lose, but I saw there was at least a possibility that we could lose if Depaul kept up their 3 point shooting. More importantly, I never saw anything that made me any less confident that this team is going to win another NCAA championship.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hats off to Doug and his team last night. He did UCONN a huge favor and opened their eyes to toughing them up before the NCAA tournament in March and April. I feel sorry for ND this weekend in Storrs....No mercy!!
DePaul got UCONN's attention that this season will be very tough and every team will come at them swinging, pushing, scratching and fighting....Thanks Doug for the street lesson last night..The good news, we won and no injuries.....
Disagree completely. One, don't think it was a "street fight". That to me would indicate lot's of pushing shoving, lots of fouls. This was organized chaos. Probably best defines it. Two, I think UCONN was ready for it. DePaul, at least for awhile executed it better than anticipated, but it was not unexpected, and UCONN had prepared for it. Three, I don't know if it "got their attention". It think they expected the challenge, anticipated the challenge, met the challenge and won. It may, probably will, give them confidence going forward, in themselves and the coaching staff (for the preps and adjustments).

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Stewie looked in fighting trim to me...
I agree 100%. Stewie played all 40 minutes, always moving, never looked tired. She must be in fantastic condition. There was some mention that some UConn players looked gassed. I don't know who they were talking about, but definitely not the indefatigable Stewie.

Reaction Score
DePaul played a great game that should make Doug and his team very proud. They should rise in the polls and Notre Dame should be concerned about their game next Wednesday. DePaul has the style that could upset N.D. without some of their injured posts. Should be a great game as well.

Reaction Score
Disagree completely. One, don't think it was a "street fight". That to me would indicate lot's of pushing shoving, lots of fouls. This was organized chaos. Probably best defines it. Two, I think UCONN was ready for it. DePaul, at least for awhile executed it better than anticipated, but it was not unexpected, and UCONN had prepared for it. Three, I don't know if it "got their attention". It think they expected the challenge, anticipated the challenge, met the challenge and won. It may, probably will, give them confidence going forward, in themselves and the coaching staff (for the preps and adjustments).

Meyers- Absolutely agree with your 'organized chaos' comment. I've never seen a WBB team sub a full team in and a full team out, every 3 or so minutes. That was inspired, enabling DePaul to throw 5 'fresh' kids on the floor to maintain their chaotic pressing and running game. But I don't agree that UConn 'was ready for it.' DePaul had not done that 5 in/5 out crap in any of its previous 6 games this year, and was only able to do it because 2 Illinois transfers became eligible just that day. Had Geno anticipated anything like that (and how could he?), the team would have game-planned to take control of the tempo and run a patient offense, rather than willingly participate in that frenetic track meet. We crushed them on the boards 47-27, so you would think we did have the ability to control the speed of the game, but we didn't.

I think we have to give lots of credit to DePaul and coach Bruno. They gave us a hell of a game. Like every team we will play this year, our opponents' efforts will be their very best- they will give everything they've got because beating UConn would make any team's season. It's their National Championship game.

Reaction Score
OMG!!!..........I need a nap.........I am tired reading all these great comments.........All in all, we won!!........Now, ND on Sat at 5:15.......

Reaction Score
I agree with all of the comments. Great game, exhausting just watching it. As DT said Stewie will be elite this year and she won't lose. I felt, like Nan, the game was never in doubt but the games are not a coronation and the team had to play hard and smart to win. This is still the best team I've ever seen and last year we lost by 2 when the game didn't go as planned and this year we win by 16. ND has no answer for Stewie and we should have a decisive victory on Sat.

HGN

Reaction Score
Once UConn got the lead to 13 points at the start of the 3rd quarter, didn't think DePaul could come all the way back to take a lead. Even when the lead was down to 5 points at the start of the 4th quarter, I was still comfortable that UConn would win. Of course that feeling was made much easier when Katie Lou hit the three point shot to make it an 8 point game. Didn't think Stewie, Moriah and Morgan would allow the team to lose at that point of the game.

Wrote in the game thread last night, I don't think the Players were over looking DePaul, just think DePaul executed a perfect game plan. There was very little drop off on each Mass Substitution that Depaul had during the game. 10 Players all of similar abilities with outstanding effort.
Wbbfan, I agree.............DePaul played well and kept making shots and kept the pressure on. What DePaul was doing in a sense was asking UConn to crack under the pressure. 'Crack and give them the game'. They kept asking repeatedly by staying close and making plays. UConn , being battle-tested , experienced , and with a great coaching staff , said to our great satisfaction , "No" ! So the Huskies win it by 16 instead of 40.....A 'W' is a 'W'.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Love DePaul ball - love how hard and clean his players play. Still really pissed that the Big East is gone.
54298022.jpg

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
ThisJustIn said:

Love DePaul ball - love how hard and clean his players play. Still really pissed that the Big East is gone.

Amen! ....especially to the pissed part.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Well of course, but UConn is 2 for 2 in the NCs in the AAC, and I kind have learned to love that 100% average. Maybe those AAC teams are the Huskies' lucky charm. Sure, as many learned BY posters have pointed out, the competition is not at the same high level as the Providences of the BEast, but we can move on and learn to love the one you're with. Sure M7 can dig up an old CS&N tune on that.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well of course, but UConn is 2 for 2 in the NCs in the AAC, and I kind have learned to love that 100% average. Maybe those AAC teams are the Huskies' lucky charm. Sure, as many learned BY posters have pointed out, the competition is not at the same high level as the Providences of the BEast, but we can move on and learn to love the one you're with. Sure M7 can dig up an old CS&N tune on that.
The Huskies did pretty well while they were in the Big East, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom