Our backcourt | The Boneyard

Our backcourt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Boatright, Samuel, Cassell, Purvis, Calhoun, Hamilton

May not be as heralded as others we've had, or others in the country this season, but assuming they all stay healthy that seems incredibly deep and tough to me. Obviously Boat and Hamilton are starting and playing 30+ minutes per game. The competition among Samuel, Cassell, Purvis and Calhoun to make the most of their time on the floor for the lion's share of that third slot is going to be intense. I haven't seen enough of Purvis to predict how he'll respond, but I tend to think that it's going to play to the advantage of tough kids like Samuel and Cassell who are fearless. It will certainly be interesting to see how it plays out. For his sake and ours I hope that Omar finally gets to play in full health so he is not hindered in the competition.

One thing is sure: If these guys all stay healthy we have a lot of different options and a lot of different looks we can throw at people, and with which we can make adjustments. Although it was awkward to see us struggle against Bryant, it was great to see KO recognize the adjustments we had to make, and for the team to execute on them. As almost always is the case with us, it all starts with defense. Whatever our shortcomings on long-range shooting may be--and I'm not sure we have shortcomings there...yet--I think our defense can more than make up for it on most nights.

This is a tough group of kids. A perfect group for Boat to lead. March is a long ways away, but no one is going to want to face our backcourt then.

I do have one question for the experts out there: Why weren't we feeding Amidah in the middle more? Was the zone really that effective in shutting down that passing lane? That seemed to be automatic, but to my eyes we didn't attempt to try it nearly enough.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Boatright, Samuel, Cassell, Purvis, Calhoun, Hamilton

May not be as heralded as others we've had, or others in the country this season, but assuming they all stay healthy that seems incredibly deep and tough to me. Obviously Boat and Hamilton are starting and playing 30+ minutes per game. The competition among Samuel, Cassell, Purvis and Calhoun to make the most of their time on the floor for the lion's share of that third slot is going to be intense. I haven't seen enough of Purvis to predict how he'll respond, but I tend to think that it's going to play to the advantage of tough kids like Samuel and Cassell who are fearless. It will certainly be interesting to see how it plays out. For his sake and ours I hope that Omar finally gets to play in full health so he is not hindered in the competition.

One thing is sure: If these guys all stay healthy we have a lot of different options and a lot of different looks we can throw at people, and with which we can make adjustments. Although it was awkward to see us struggle against Bryant, it was great to see KO recognize the adjustments we had to make, and for the team to execute on them. As almost always is the case with us, it all starts with defense. Whatever our shortcomings on long-range shooting may be--and I'm not sure we have shortcomings there...yet--I think our defense can more than make up for it on most nights.

This is a tough group of kids. A perfect group for Boat to lead. March is a long ways away, but no one is going to want to face our backcourt then.

I do have one question for the experts out there: Why weren't we feeding Amidah in the middle more? Was the zone really that effective in shutting down that passing lane? That seemed to be automatic, but to my eyes we didn't attempt to try it nearly enough.

Because Amida can't do much right now with the ball... better to get him right near the basket with the ball where he can go right up... the middle is much better for hamilton, cassell, facey, etc

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Because Amida can't do much right now with the ball... better to get him right near the basket with the ball where he can go right up... the middle is much better for hamilton, cassell, facey, etc
That's what I meant though--getting him the ball under the hoop. He seemed to be very strong with an almost automatic move there, but perhaps the zone was cutting that off. I just thought it looked like it was there for the taking if we worked for it.

Reaction Score
luckily we've got tweeners... guys that can play the 2 and the 3... could clearly see DHam, Calhoun & even Cassell Jr running either spot in 3 guard rotations... they have really good size to be effective... So, EVERYBODY in the backcourt mentioned at the start of this thread will eat...

Reaction Score
luckily we've got tweeners... guys that can play the 2 and the 3... could clearly see DHam, Calhoun & even Cassell Jr running either spot in 3 guard rotations... they have really good size to be effective... So, EVERYBODY in the backcourt mentioned at the start of this thread will eat...

Not only that, but four of them have PG skills, five if you count Purvis. I know we are used to have 2 PGs out there at a time, but there are times we are going to have 3 players out there with handle and passing ability.

Reaction Score
How good does it feel to not be concerned when a second string back court is playing. I mean we had two back court players out and we were still covered. I love it.

Between Boat, Cassell and D-Ham the threes are going to fall. If Omar's shot is there this year, look out.

And the slashing abilities are there in Purvis, Samuel and Boat. The size is there, athleticism and the D tenacity. This back court is so deep and versatile. Run, run, run.

In the exhibitions D-Ham was able to get the ball over the top to Brimah. That's where he needs to get it. Up high, not even bring it down, and flush it.

Facey is going to get his time because he sniffs out those rebounds and moves like crazy when the ball is in the air. This is going to open up his offense. I think we're going to see most improved player throughout the season from him. Cassell and D-ham have proved out of the gate they can play.

D-Ham is showing that he can sew up the middle game. If this front court can compete (Brimah, I'm talking about you staying on the floor), with Nolan and Lubin keeping us from getting pushed around and adding fouls, we're going to have a very fun season.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I wasn't overly impressed with Hamilton's ball handling yesterday. Actually, he made me nervous. I prefer him to work off the ball and not handle it much.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I wasn't overly impressed with Hamilton's ball handling yesterday. Actually, he made me nervous. I prefer him to work off the ball and not handle it much.
he did well, just when he went inside the 3 while dribbling it got iffy... but he pushed the tempo and made some nice passes... he'll be fine

Reaction Score

He seemed to have a couple of possessions where he did get a tad nervous when his lane was cut off but never thought he'd lose it. For his size he's the best ball handler we've had in a long time. The fact he can occasionally get a rebound and push it coast to coast shows you his ability. He's going to be terrific!

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
He seemed to have a couple of possessions where he did get a tad nervous when his lane was cut off but never thought he'd lose it. For his size he's the best ball handler we've had in a long time. The fact he can occasionally get a rebound and push it coast to coast shows you his ability. He's going to be terrific!
I was more afraid he was gonna travel than loose possession.

Reaction Score
Appreciate the sentiment, but not as heralded? We have a legit AA and Cousey nominee, a JUCO AA, a Ferrari, and an NBA talent in DHam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom