Our Assistant Coaches | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Our Assistant Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Agreed. Perhaps Brimah just is what he is and it can't be blamed on Miller. But since Miller took over as bigs coach here are the bigs we have had:
-Michael Bradley
-Tyler Olander (legend)
-Enosch Wolf
-Drummond*
-Alex Oriakhi*
-Roscoe Smith**
-Leon Tolksdorf
-Phil Nolan
-Niels Giffey**
-Deandre Daniels*
-Amida
-Kentan Facey
-Steve Enoch
* = top 40 recruit
**= more of a 3 than a 4 IMO

Miller's track record is alarming. Not saying they should've turned into double double machines but when a guy like Facey (NYS player of the year, top 100 recruit, active on the boards) after 4 years looks so lost, insecure and inept on offense I can't blame anyone else but Miller.

One thing that defines that list is that the majority are players who are glaringly raw. The only guys who weren't Deandre, Oriakhi, Roscoe and kind of Giffey. Rating in high school is irrelevant to how good a basketball player you actually are coming in. Even #1/2 Drummond was super raw coming in.

Oriakhi gave us some good minutes in his time. Roscoe too. Roscoe leaving hurt us more than most on this board want to admit.

C

Chief00

I admit -I could never figure Roscoe out. He was capable of playing hard but had trouble responding to coaching. He explained to me once why he was leaving - I asked a question or two and it made even less sense.

pj

Reaction Score
I do hold Glen accountable for the total lack of Bigs development. It's not only basketball IQ it's shooting and strength - they have been overlooked in our recruiting.

Facey can shoot, Enoch can shoot. The problem is that the kind of shots you need them to take in the offense are different than 15 foot jump shots, and involve a lot of strength/savvy to gain position, practiced coordination of small-space big man moves to get a good shot off, and other skills that our bigs haven't developed. How much of the fault falls on coaches and how much on players I'm not qualified to say, but I don't think our recruiters overlooked shooting ability.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think it all comes down to who you recruit. Can't teach anything to stupid people, they'll make the same mistakes.

Reaction Score
Facey can shoot, Enoch can shoot. The problem is that the kind of shots you need them to take in the offense are different than 15 foot jump shots, and involve a lot of strength/savvy to gain position, practiced coordination of small-space big man moves to get a good shot off, and other skills that our bigs haven't developed. How much of the fault falls on coaches and how much on players I'm not qualified to say, but I don't think our recruiters overlooked shooting ability.

Watch Enoch.

His limitations today are lack of basketball awareness and confidence. HE DOES HAVE exceptional hands. Fast and sure. He is athletic for his size. I don't know what you can do except practice practice at very constant easy post steps and defensive positioning; but more importantly, that KID needs to play a lot of ball. Norwalk HS did not prepare him for other 6-7 to 7 foot opponents.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ok so Brimah can't shoot and he was weak. And even as he is stronger he is still Brimah right? Please Chief it's not shooting or strength it's jut NOT in this case and it's not coaching.

It's fair to notice how much worse Brimah's FT shooting strome looks now compared to his Freshman and Soph seasons.

He actually used to make an occasional face up 10'-12' as a Soph. I fear what that attempt would look like now.

pj

Reaction Score
Watch Enoch.

His limitations today are lack of basketball awareness and confidence. HE DOES HAVE exceptional hands. Fast and sure. He is athletic for his size. I don't know what you can do except practice practice at very constant easy post steps and defensive positioning; but more importantly, that KID needs to play a lot of ball. Norwalk HS did not prepare him for other 6-7 to 7 foot opponents.

Yes, Enoch seems to have all the athletic tools to become a quality post ... he just needs to learn and put it together. He will be a good test case for the ability of our coaches to develop a big man.... And I'm sure the coaches are counting on him to come up big next year, if not this!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
It's fair to notice how much worse Brimah's FT shooting strome looks now compared to his Freshman and Soph seasons.

He actually used to make an occasional face up 10'-12' as a Soph. I fear what that attempt would look like now.
The ball seems to be slipping out of his shooting hand often and he shows less control. I wonder if he is still having a problem with finger(s).

C

Chief00

At some point, the players and coaches are the scoreboard. I firmly believe that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
UConn should offer Karl Hobbs more money to come back. They should beg George Blaney to come out of retirement. We should seek the BEST talent and offer top notch salaries. Heck, raise taxes if you have to! But save this program!!

Reaction Score
Extremely funny that there are some posters on here who think the coaching staff is just peaches. It's not. There needs to be a shake up. These former UConn star players, whom we love and appreciate, are just that- players. They are not coaches. And go ahead and say "they need to grow"....there is zero time to grow. If we let them grow, it will take years, in which our relevence on a national landscape will be none due to football, conference affiliation and scheduling. Recruits won't be coming to us anymore. The time is now. You wanna give Ollie a pass to grow, fine. But dammit find some coaches that can run X's and O's then. The staff needs a shake up as soon as this season ends. It is SILLY to think anything else.
THANK YOU!!! This is UConn - a top basketball program (or at least we once were). This is not where you come unqualified and get to learn how to coach. Our coaches need to come ready.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
UConn should offer Karl Hobbs more money to come back. They should beg George Blaney to come out of retirement. We should seek the BEST talent and offer top notch salaries. Heck, raise taxes if you have to! But save this program!!

Do you think 77 year olds are likely to come out of retirement? Will you be clamoring for the same thing in 10 years when he's 87?

C

Chief00

Do you think 77 year olds are likely to come out of retirement? Will you be clamoring for the same thing in 10 years when he's 87?

Only for Cape Cod Country Club University LOL

Reaction Score
I'm torn on this because Ricky Moore and Kevin Freeman were both a major part of the biggest, and IMO most important win in program history. But, there may have to be a point where we decide that their coaching may not be enough if the development issues continue. Even if they don't end up continuing to be a part of the coaching staff, it would be great to still have them involved in the basketball program somehow, two UConn legends who could teach alot outside of coaching.

Reaction Score
THANK YOU!!! This is UConn - a top basketball program (or at least we once were). This is not where you come unqualified and get to learn how to coach. Our coaches need to come ready.

I just need to know who you think wasn't ready and how you know that? 26 posts in you must have been to a lot of practices and know things we don't here right? I mean Glen Miller must have forgotten how to coach because he's been part of some really good UConn teams too, but that doesn't count right? Ricky is kind of new so I guess I don't know, but Alterique probably liked him a lot and came here.

Again I don't know who wasn't qualified so enlighten me?

C

Chief00

I just need to know who you think wasn't ready and how you know that? 26 posts in you must have been to a lot of practices and know things we don't here right? I mean Glen Miller must have forgotten how to coach because he's been part of some really good UConn teams too, but that doesn't count right? Ricky is kind of new so I guess I don't know, but Alterique probably liked him a lot and came here.

Again I don't know who wasn't qualified so enlighten me?

You need to look at Glen's role on those teams - wasn't the Bigs coach or even up the coaching chain. He kept track of timeouts and fouls, did tours of facilities and broke down film. I think he can do those things. He ain't a Bigs Coach - never was in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Clean house. I know this was brought up last year but can we please clean house with our assistant coaches? Maybe just keep on the new Temple guy because he's a good recruiter with connections. Ollie could sure use some help and the lack of player development and X and O's has to also fall on his staff. I want Ollie to succeed but his blind loyalty to his assistant coaches is only going to be a great disservice to himself if this continues. As far as I know Kevin Freeman and Ricky Moore's coaching resumes entirely entail that they went to UConn and were good players. And enough is enough with Miller. It's like a taking a sleeping pill listening to his SNY halftime interviews.
The thing is you don't have a clue how good or poor the assistants are. None of us do. You are judging a team with 3 key injuries and a 4th (Durham) who can only handle limited minutes. The experienced players are average at best and you expect them to be more than average.

Reaction Score
The thing is you don't have a clue how good or poor the assistants are. None of us do. You are judging a team with 3 key injuries and a 4th (Durham) who can only handle limited minutes. The experienced players are average at best and you expect them to be more than average.

Pretty sure this is the post that sums it all up. :eek:

Reaction Score
Fire Alford. And a few years ago when Villanova won 13 games ... it was fire Jay Wright.

We are going to need Kevin Ollie to get better. I am pretty darn sure that he is far more motivated to get better than any of us in this UConn cult are to desire that to happen. You hired a guy that never stops. We are surrounded by guys that played here and Calhoun that want this to get better; with urgency.

That still leads most of to believe that there is something amiss in the current structure. I do not think I believe the idea that our Talent has dropped precipitously. We - by my eyes - have brought in really good players in the last 8 and I think the 3 coming in September. The fact Brimah's development matched Soulemane Wane ... and not Hilton Armstrong? I guess each person is different. (Brilliant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom