Our 3 Point Shooting Is Unacceptable | The Boneyard

Our 3 Point Shooting Is Unacceptable

Reaction Score
I just went back and looked at the percentages from our last 8-10 games. Games in which we mostly won. Aside for a game or 2 it was just pathetic, shooting in the 20’s and low 30’s from 3 most of those games. This is not exactly news but we desperately need shooters and I do not believe the ones we have in house are the answer. They can be coached up and be better but too much of the game relies on the 3. I’m thrilled with our center going forward but Hurley has some serious work to recruit shooters.

Reaction Score
We need to get some shooters. Just recruiting a bunch of athletes that cant shoot won't get it done. We need shooters that can make 3s. It is not a hard game. We just need to put the ball in the basket. Watching all these NCAA games, it is pretty clear good teams play good defense and can make 3s.

Reaction Score
In looking at our team, we may be a better Rugby or Track team than a basketball team.
Its been obvious for years that we need better 3 point shooting team to better space the floor and give our slashers and low post players more room to operate.
Oh by the way, we can't make lay ups either. ( But rebounding our misses makes us the best offensive rebounding team in the world!!)

Reaction Score
Holy crap, why pay a coaching staff $4m a year, its obvious to posters, someone should tell the staff. I bet they have no idea.
And to add to what you said...the horse is already dead!

Reaction Score
It's tough when 2 of the 3 guys you expect to be good 3 point shooters based upon history are bad 3 point shooters.

Reaction Score
We need to get some shooters. Just recruiting a bunch of athletes that cant shoot won't get it done. We need shooters that can make 3s. It is not a hard game. We just need to put the ball in the basket. Watching all these NCAA games, it is pretty clear good teams play good defense and can make 3s.
It's certainly a deficient area of the team, but the idea that we've just been recruiting athletes and ignoring shooting is not factual. Akok, Bouknight, Gaffney, Hawkins, and Diggins are in the past few classes and either are or are/were expected to develop into good outside shooters when they were being recruited. Clearly the coaching staff is making that a priority in recruiting. Heck, even Samson looks like he can step out and stretch the defense a bit.

Reaction Score
I've been saying this for YEARS. But Hurley has told us that his priority is defense. I doubt that will change. I also think he will pay a little more attention to outside shooting.

Reaction Score
I've been saying this for YEARS. But Hurley has told us that his priority is defense. I doubt that will change. I also think he will pay a little more attention to outside shooting.
I think what we seen this year is really good offense beats good defense. When teams like Creighton and Nova can shoot the way they can, idc how "tough" you are, unless you match that firepower youre at an disadvantage

Reaction Score
Crunched some numbers for today. In games UConn lost the 3-point shooting was 27%. In games won? 36%. That is 3-point shooting. For overall, 37% shooting in losses, 46% overall for win.

The losses are almost all exclusively due to below-average shot making. It isn't rebounds, it isn't turnovers, it isn't defense. Not enough shooting to go with a wing scorer and an inside post threat.

I give you all those numbers and know that of UConn's 8 losses, seven were single digits. They weren't blown out in any game.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Hurley didn't expect both Bouknight and Polley to suck from 3 this year, based upon their history. It was reasonable to expect we would get 3s from those guys and they both basically shot 30%.

Reaction Score
Akok is going to be the starting 4 next season and his shooting is pretty good for his size. So to have that stretch 4 option is gonna be a game changer. We missed him badly this season and understandably because of his achilles conditioning.

Reaction Score
The game has changed. There is still place for toughness in the game, but it shouldn't be the top priority. Need shooters who can space the floor. Not to mention the game is certainly called differently from the refs. I love Whaley as much as most die hards, but when Hurley wants him to shoot more 3s, you know your team is void of shooting. Ollie was actually semi-right that the future is certainly position-less basketball (i.e. Villanova), but he could never implement. Hopefully Hurley will continue to develop his offensive repertoire. Future is still bright folks.

Reaction Score
Crunched some numbers for today. In games UConn lost the 3-point shooting was 27%. In games won? 36%. That is 3-point shooting. For overall, 37% shooting in losses, 46% overall for win.

The losses are almost all exclusively due to below-average shot making. It isn't rebounds, it isn't turnovers, it isn't defense. Not enough shooting to go with a wing scorer and an inside post threat.

I give you all those numbers and know that of UConn's 8 losses, seven were single digits. They weren't blown out in any game.
Some of that bad shooting WAS the wing scorer as well. He took a lot of off the dribble 3's, which are notoriously difficult shots.

But yeah, we definitely needed Gaffney, Whaley, or Martin to be consistent 3 point shooting threats at decent volume. Cole got there. Polley was a little worse than expected, but at least had the volume. But we needed at least one more guy (and that probably could have been Bouk, but the shots that he took -- and the offense asked him to take -- made this a tall task). Oh well. Let's get those guys on the transfer market.

Reaction Score
Isn't it harder to land a quality big man like Sanogo will be than 3 point shooters? The women make open 3's better than the men. The rock is smaller I get but cmon.

Reaction Score
I just went back and looked at the percentages from our last 8-10 games. Games in which we mostly won. Aside for a game or 2 it was just pathetic, shooting in the 20’s and low 30’s from 3 most of those games. This is not exactly news but we desperately need shooters and I do not believe the ones we have in house are the answer. They can be coached up and be better but too much of the game relies on the 3. I’m thrilled with our center going forward but Hurley has some serious work to recruit shooters.
Can not sit our big man based on what the other coach does. Not first time when we were clanging 3s Sanogo sat.

Reaction Score
Jeez we need someone who can make a contested lay up this season has been ridonkulous...When in range dunk it home and you usually get the foul call as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom