Our 2020 Recruits! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Our 2020 Recruits!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just a quick question about the heights listed for each player. Is that with their basketball shoes on (as opposed to wearing flip flops or other footwear or barefoot as is common for non-athletes)?

Good question. To me, it wold seem that all height measurements should be made with their game shoes (or some form of athletic footwear) on since no one plays in their bare feet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pretty much nailed it
That’s what their bios say anyway.

From the pictures, if Paige is 5’11” (well documented), then AE is 6’2.5”, MM is 5’9.5”, Nika is 5’8”, and Piath is 6’4.5”. Just my take... and they aren’t in game sneakers so there’s that.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Mir has smile to be the face of 2021 UConn Women's Basketball!

That would make a good poll question. “Who do you think will be the face of the program next season?” There are several players to choose from. I can think of 4 right off the bat.

Reaction Score
I've seen her play in person and she's not 6'4". My guess 6'2". Big & strong, but not "wide body" big.

View attachment 53544
May not be "wide body" but very strong legs. In many ways, more valuable body type since she is strong enough to guard 99% of the bigs but can run the floor.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
May not be "wide body" but very strong legs. In many ways, more valuable body type since she is strong enough to guard 99% of the bigs but can run the floor.
The ability to bang in the paint relies much more on leg strength than upper body strength. Establishing and holding your position in the lane requires lower body strength. Aaliyah is unique possessing the strength to play inside, as well as the athleticism to be effective outside.

The same thing is true of Aubrey. At first glance Aubrey appears to be quite lean. While her athleticism is unmistakable, you can easily overlook her exceptional leg strength. The combination of athleticism and leg strength allowed Aubrey to defend 1-5.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He’s taking the picture. :D
1588080936187.png

"Smile ladies!"

Carnac

Reaction Score

I was speaking "photogenically" only. There are too many higher profile players in front of her for HER to be the face of the program. My suggestions where using her to be the "front woman" for posters and electronic announcements for the program. I agree with all of your concerns and observations. Aubrey, Paige, ONO, Christyn and Aaliyah will be the face of the program before she will because they are (IMO) higher profile players. Megan Walker was the FOP last year because SHE was the "go to" player, and the team's leading scorer. The cream ALWAYS rises to the top. A player's production on the court will nominate them for the face of the program.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm sure someone will respond to your post by pointing out that Gabby played in the post at that same size.
Gabby had PG like passing skill and an ungauardable 1st step. Mir does not. I agree that she will struggle for post minutes at UCONN and not just next season either.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

"Face of the program," no. But there's ample reason to believe she can be a very good player at minimum. If you're concerned about her height, I'd point to Nina Davis--probably generously listed at 5-11--who was a similar type player to Mclean though Mir might have more all-around skills.

Based on what I've seen, Mclean is not a guard in any way. She is a disruptor, a rebounding machine, and a potential defensive stalwart. There are quite a few similarities between her and Aubrey Griffin.

Reaction Score
I was speaking "photogenically" only. There are too many higher profile players in front of her for HER to be the face of the program. My suggestions where using her to be the "front woman" for posters and electronic announcements for the program. I agree with all of your concerns and observations. Aubrey, Paige, ONO, Christyn and Aaliyah will be the face of the program before she will because they are (IMO) higher profile players. Megan Walker was the FOP last year because SHE was the "go to" player, and the team's leading scorer. The cream ALWAYS rises to the top. A player's production on the court will nominate them for the face of the program.
You think Megan was the FOP last year? I would have said Christyn (or Dangerfield). The first requirement for being the face of the program is that you actually have to want to be there. Megan was like the Mookie Betts of UConn. The broody never really happy to be there type, but knew it was a necessary stepping stone for long term bidness purposes.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You think Megan was the FOP last year? I would have said Christyn (or Dangerfield). The first requirement for being the face of the program is that you actually have to want to be there. Megan was like the Mookie Betts of UConn. The broody never really happy to be there type, but knew it was a necessary stepping stone for long term bidness purposes.

I should have "qualified that comment with "In my opinion". Usually (not always) the best player on a team is the FOP. She did make all three "1st team ALL-America teams", along with being the American Conference player of the year, and the conference tournament MVP. I won't argue if others think Crystal could have been the FOP.
I like Dangerfield, but I just think Walker had a better over-all season. At this point, it's moot. They're both gone.

Let's look to the future. Who will be the new FOP for the 20-21 season? Evina, ONO, or perhaps Christyn? No seniors on this team unless Geno brings in a graduate transfer. Technically Evina is a senior. This will be her 4th year of college with 2 years of athletic eligibility left. I must admit, I'm harboring just a tinge of skepticism that she stays for both. If she gets feedback/opinions from scouts or WNBA coaches that she'll go in the first round if she comes out, I'm guessing she gone. I thought Megan would stay to play with her next season since they're BFF's, and Megan was the main reason she came to UConn.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"Face of the program," no. But there's ample reason to believe she can be a very good player at minimum. If you're concerned about her height, I'd point to Nina Davis--probably generously listed at 5-11--who was a similar type player to Mclean though Mir might have more all-around skills.

Based on what I've seen, Mclean is not a guard in any way. She is a disruptor, a rebounding machine, and a potential defensive stalwart. There are quite a few similarities between her and Aubrey Griffin.
Davis was a terrific player for Baylor but I'm not sure Davis would have worked out for UCONN or that Mir will either. Davis was an offensive liability as evidence by her career A/TO ratio of almost 1 & lack of range on her jumpshot. That lack of a jumpshot is mainly what kept Davis from being drafted into WNBA. Davis made a living off being at the basket and reacting quicker than anyone else. The UCONN offense simply demands more, Mir will have to be mobile, a ball mover, good screen setter and able to deliver pass to open teammates and be willing to shoot when open. Recall that Mikayla had a good enough set of defensive tools but did not see the floor because she was an offensive liability.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Davis was a terrific player for Baylor but I'm not sure Davis would have worked out for UCONN or that Mir will either. Davis was an offensive liability as evidence by her career A/TO ratio of almost 1 & lack of range on her jumpshot.

Davis sure produced for having such poor offensive skills: 15.6 PPG, 56% shooting.

As for the assist-turnover ratio, Swin Cash had 175 assists and 276 TO's in college. Swin was a similar type of player and wasn't half bad. ;)

I know you were a big Asjha Jones fan. She had 194 assists to 253 TO's.

One thing about Mclean I'm not too sure of is her passing ability. But making shots and passes, in my opinion, would be the cherries on top of her game. She's going to make lots and lots of plays with her quickness, athleticism, hustle, and smarts. Developments in the other areas could make her special.

Reaction Score
Davis was a terrific player for Baylor but I'm not sure Davis would have worked out for UCONN or that Mir will either. Davis was an offensive liability as evidence by her career A/TO ratio of almost 1 & lack of range on her jumpshot. That lack of a jumpshot is mainly what kept Davis from being drafted into WNBA. Davis made a living off being at the basket and reacting quicker than anyone else. The UCONN offense simply demands more, Mir will have to be mobile, a ball mover, good screen setter and able to deliver pass to open teammates and be willing to shoot when open. Recall that Mikayla had a good enough set of defensive tools but did not see the floor because she was an offensive liability.
Excellent points made. And from what I've seen, and despite the high ranking from the gurus, she'll need to learn most offensive and defensive fundamentals from scratch to be able to meet the demands of the UConn systems. Being quick and able to jump only gets you so far and her HS preparation was less than optimum in my opinion. Good luck to her and I hope she's a fast learner.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Mir is clearly an exceptionally athletic and multi-talented player. The challenge for Mir is the same challenge that exists for a number of current and future UConn players. Over the next several seasons the Huskies should be loaded with talent at the SF/PF positions.

Potentially, all of the following players could end up at either the 3 and/or 4 spots in the Husky lineup: Anna, Aubrey, Aaliyah, Mir, Saylor, Caroline, Amari & Ice. The battle for PT among this group of players will be absolutely EPIC.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Gabby Williams carved out a nice UConn career playing at the same height as McClean. Rebounding and defense will go a long way in Storrs.

I'm sure someone will respond to your post by pointing out that Gabby played in the post at that same size.
Gabby had PG like passing skill and an ungauardable 1st step. Mir does not. I agree that she will struggle for post minutes at UCONN and not just next season either.

Reaction Score
Once I was chastised by a female HR manager for describing a woman interviewee as well groomed. She said horses are groomed, not people. I can only imagine how she would react to a young woman being thought of as a thoroughbred. ;):rolleyes:
Sometimes words come out of peoples mouth because they've fallen in love with the sound of their own voice. When someone says something like that to me I stare at them for a few seconds before saying "I'm sorry. You thought I was talking to you."

Reaction Score

I agree. I see her getting minutes playing the 3/SF position rather than competing with the guards mentioned in a previous post. I think she can be a really good disrupter and perimeter defender in the Big East conference games where there won't be a lot of big line ups at SF and PF positions. Imagine her against a maybe inch or two taller but slower less athletic Forwards in the Big East. I think she'll be quite succesful. I think willnet crocket when I see her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom