Our 2 freshmen are supremely confident | The Boneyard

Our 2 freshmen are supremely confident

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
“Of course I’m prepared,” Williams said. “I’ve been playing basketball since I was 3. I was born to do this. This is why I came to Connecticut, because I wanted to get better and I knew I was going to have to step up and play because he needs me. So I’m just really excited to do that.”

Reaction Score
not sure why this would be the case if Geno vetted those four:

“One of the big differences between these two freshmen and last year’s freshmen is that these two understand that it’s hard, and they understand that it’s supposed to be really hard, and they accept it and they welcome it,” Auriemma said.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

“One of the big differences between these two freshmen and last year’s freshmen is that these two understand that it’s hard, and they understand that it’s supposed to be really hard, and they accept it and they welcome it,” Auriemma said.

Ouch. ... It damn well better sting.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I found that comment interesting, to say the least. Obviously, last year’s freshmen had some issues.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Geno has said that you really don’t know what you get until the kids show up as freshmen.

Here’s a case of not knowing, but in the other direction. Doug Bruno had coached Maya for Team USA. During October 2007, after practices had started, Doug had a phone conversation with his good buddy Geno. He said something like, “Tell me the truth! She’s even better than you thought, isn’t she?”

Reaction Score
Geno has said that you really don’t know what you get until the kids show up as freshmen.

Here’s a case of not knowing, but in the other direction. Doug Bruno had coached Maya for Team USA. During October 2007, after practices had started, Doug had a phone conversation with his good buddy Geno. He said something like, “Tell me the truth! She’s even better than you thought, isn’t she?”

you certainly never know for sure but to go 0 for 4 after speaking to their coaches and following them around the circuit for a year or two seems improbable......

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
you certainly never know for sure but to go 0 for 4 after speaking to their coaches and following them around the circuit for a year or two seems improbable.
I wouldn’t call it 0 for 4. At least Lexi was recruited to be a role player, so we shouldn’t have expected much. Andi was young and immature, which surprised everyone. Meg’s season was roughly on a par with the freshmen seasons of Tuck, Gabby, and Pheesa. I think think she’ll be a star, maybe a Mega-star.

Last year, there were 6 top-10 draft pics ahead of the frosh. This year, there are 3. Context means a lot.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'd prefer if comments like that were kept in house....
I generally agree and think Geno is too critical and public at times, but this was something all of us knew. His statement is meant more to praise Liv and the Legend.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
“Of course I’m prepared,” Williams said. “I’ve been playing basketball since I was 3. I was born to do this. This is why I came to Connecticut, because I wanted to get better and I knew I was going to have to step up and play because he needs me. So I’m just really excited to do that.”
Mil, we both saw and noted evidence of her strength during the Brand game. One thing that Boneyarders are going to appreciate is that Williams is unafraid to stick her nose in there among the trees and muscle bigs out of the way for rebounds. As you and I have both noted she is willing to do whatever it takes for her team to win: Rebound, pass, play defense, run the floor, set picks, anything. We all remember the last to play here that predicted championships.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

It took Tina Charles 2 years to get it. If only Geno had vetted her properly.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mil, we both saw and noted evidence of her strength during the Brand game. One thing that Boneyarders are going to appreciate is that Williams is unafraid to stick her nose in there among the trees and muscle bigs out of the way for rebounds. As you and I have both noted she is willing to do whatever it takes for her team to win: Rebound, pass, play defense, run the floor, set picks, anything. We all remember the last to play here that predicted championships.
I think she had 4 rebounds in a 4-minute span in the Jordan Brand game. She has the vertical, strength, desire, and nose for the ball to be a stellar rebounder.

Geno has said he looks for kids who want to win. He doesn’t care for kids who play AAU ball, have fun, pile in the minivan for lunch, and don’t care if they win or not. Christyn was steaming after losing an all-star game. She’s like Maya, Dee, Sue, et al. in that regard.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It took Tina Charles 2 years to get it. If only Geno had vetted her properly.
Maybe closer to 2.75 years. She was a supremely talented kid who had enough gifts to dominate at the prep level without pushing herself. In what I regard as a stroke of genius, CD had her room with Maya in 2009-10. Tina observed and emulated her younger roomie. She’s now all-world.

Reaction Score

Someone (maybe the 2 freshmen) should save this and show it to GA when he no doubts will crush them at some point during the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom