Others weigh in on Geno's 800 wins | The Boneyard

Others weigh in on Geno's 800 wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Rich's blog includes quotes from Jamelle, Sherri Coale, Doug Bruno, KBA and Harry. He also includes comments from Geno's wife Kathy:

“It has never been about him,’’ Kathy Auriemma said. “I know that sounds really odd, but it’s absolutely true. He is a team guy. It is not about him. Remember when they changed the locker room to the other side, which he really had nothing to do with? He told me afterward `the best part of this is that I don’t have to walk across the Gampel floor. I never liked that because I feel like people are watching me.’

“The times that he calls attention to himself it is usually to deflect pressure or negative attention from his team or certain players. Our home we have never done that because this is our house. It is not a shrine. We figured out a way to do some stuff in our basement that is really cool. Some important things blended with some pictures that have nothing to do with UConn. Players that come back here get it because they know some of the stuff that is on the wall has to do with them. You would have to see it to understand it. Plus, that is the University of Connecticut’s stuff. All that stuff belongs to the program. It doesn’t belong to him.’’

http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I found it interesting that Doug Bruno also commented on Geno's home:

“One of the things about him getting 800 is that’s something he never talks about,’’ DePaul coach Doug Bruno said. “He never talks about how many wins he has. If you go over to his home, there’s nothing in the home that celebrates him. I guess the wine cellar might celebrate his taste in wine, but it’s all about his teams. It’s even subtle about how it celebrates his teams. It’s all about this team and that team. And it’s really cool the way it’s decorated about the teams. And I think that’s what he’s all about.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When one player participates in 150 wins over her career, they add up fast.

images

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Harry puts it in perspective:

"It’s amazing. It’s like when you get to the point where as a coach, you can’t conceive it in your mind. You know what I’m saying? Like I’ve coached 1,000 games and I’ve got 600 wins. He has coached like 900 games and he’s got 800 wins. It’s extraordinary. It’s beyond belief.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There are a couple more quotes to add to Agnus Berenato's earlier in the year about Geno's being a teacher, an educator. It's great hearing that and I hope it stifles the stuff people say about him screaming at players to get the best out of them.

More from Doug Bruno: "
“He cares about the kids. All the posturing and stuff… he genuinely does care about other people. And, if you know him, that’s something that because he’s got the ability to have a funny shtick, a media shtick, people might get the idea that this is an arrogant human being. He’s not arrogant. He’s confident in what he does, but he cares about people. I think all of that comes together when you’re coaching. And he’s built the program where the kids care about themselves. They want to come back. They don’t want to come back just to see Geno. They want to come back because they’re proud to be part of the UConn tradition. I’m helping him recruit right now, and he needs no help.’’

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
More from Doug Bruno: "
“He cares about the kids. All the posturing and stuff… he genuinely does care about other people. And, if you know him, that’s something that because he’s got the ability to have a funny shtick, a media shtick, people might get the idea that this is an arrogant human being. He’s not arrogant. He’s confident in what he does, but he cares about people. I think all of that comes together when you’re coaching. And he’s built the program where the kids care about themselves. They want to come back. They don’t want to come back just to see Geno. They want to come back because they’re proud to be part of the UConn tradition. I’m helping him recruit right now, and he needs no help.’’
Someone send this to media outlets in Georgia, Oregon, Texas, California, Indiana, etc.

I think they come back for Kathy's cooking and to lobby for a sandwich name in Geno's restaurant. :)

Reaction Score
When you know his story - how he came to the US at age 7 or so, how poor they were (he personally delivered weekly payments throughout his neighborhood) - he was small, was the first in his family to speak English, and has a terror of failing, you come to understand why he feels the need to excel, and why he continues to strive to be better. There was a book (or article, or something) that came out several years ago that talked about his deep-seated fear of failure. I think he can finally relax, but I doubt that he ever will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom