Other top teams. Possible weaknesses | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Other top teams. Possible weaknesses

Reaction Score
I think this is revisionist history. Whaley made himself indispensable, he certainly wasn't that when Hurley got to Storrs.
Disagree. Whaley averaged 13 minutes as a freshman under Ollie, and Hurley relegated him to single digit garbage time and DNP,s his sophomore year. (Hurley’s first)

I may have misremembered the injury part, it wasn’t until his junior year (19-20 season, Hurley’s second season) that coach realized what he had, and started giving Whaley significant time.

If you‘re contending that Whaley didn’t deserve time his Sophomore year, and made marked improvement between his Soph and Junior years, OK, but that’s pretty rare.

Reaction Score
It is not revisionist history and Hurley’s has even addressed this. But go off, per usual.

Coaching staff: has seen a player in hundreds of hours of practice, individual workouts, and dissected every second of game film from high school and college.

Fan: has seen 6 minutes of game film in a blowout win vs. Eastern Idaho technical community college for girls and potatoes.

Coaching staff: "he isn't ready to play yet. Once he earns minutes we'll put him in"

Fan: "these coaches are IDIOTS. Play him!!!"

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
No, you don’t understand Boneyard rules. When a coach in football or basketball calls on a player who wasn’t playing previously and that player then performs, it means the coach was an idiot for not playing them earlier. It does not ever mean that the coach waited until the player was ready to contribute to give him playing time.

You’ve been here long enough to know that.
i don't know much aboot Boneyard rules, but i know a little bit aboot reality.
under early and often direct prompting by harper ('hey girardi - u suck!'), philly dumped him in season, brought in a new guy who actually played the young guys bryce was jawing for, and ......... as they say, the rest is history.
i like mr springs, but i have zero idea aboot his utility for the team becuz im never allowed to see him play, after years of waiting.
weirdorama.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here's the thing. Samson will and should see minutes when back, but it won't always be at the expense of Alex. People talk about AJ as the "glue guy" and he's all that and more, but Alex is simply a player that Hurley can't stand not having on the floor, he is so versatile on both ends he really makes this team tick. He will end up having just about as many minutes per game as any player on our team this year I think. I dont think Coach wants to play him 38, but he is such a security blanket on the floor that its hard to see him ever under 30.
I'd guess he averages more like 28 once Johnson returns, simply because I don't think he has the conditioning to play 30+ and we're deep. But I completely agree that he's going to play with Johnson some of the time. Matchups should dictate some of that.

Reaction Score
For the first time in several years I am watching other games with teams that we may meet down the road. I have yet to see a team that scares me. Houston, Texas and Virginia all seem very similar to me in that they lack any kind of offensive cohesion and they rely on defense, iso and bully ball. They do play very good defense and rebound very well. Other teams do not run offense nearly as well as we do. Purdue looks very good. Something that I worry about with our team, and I said this preseason is interior defense. Alex Karaban is a very good player but can he hang in there against a team with multiple bangers? Will Sanogo stay out of foul trouble when teams begin to attack him more? If I was an opposing coach I would make him play defense. We really need to have Samson back asap to see what kind of physicality he may bring. And we need to cut down on careless turnovers, they could kill us in a close game.
Has turnovers been a significant issue for us thus far? I mean, we can always I improve, but I think we are doing OK thus far.

Reaction Score
There are teams with freshman playing significant minutes. Frankly, with the minutes Karaban and Clingan have played we are almost one of those teams. I'd like to what those become. But as of right now, I like our chances against anyone.

Reaction Score
Disagree. Whaley averaged 13 minutes as a freshman under Ollie, and Hurley relegated him to single digit garbage time and DNP,s his sophomore year. (Hurley’s first)

I may have misremembered the injury part, it wasn’t until his junior year (19-20 season, Hurley’s second season) that coach realized what he had, and started giving Whaley significant time.

If you‘re contending that Whaley didn’t deserve time his Sophomore year, and made marked improvement between his Soph and Junior years, OK, but that’s pretty rare.
Your first paragraph should tell you the answer. You're correct that Whaley averaged 13 minutes a game his freshman year, but I suggest you take another look at what he actually did in those minutes

Reaction Score
No, you don’t understand Boneyard rules. When a coach in football or basketball calls on a player who wasn’t playing previously and that player then performs, it means the coach was an idiot for not playing them earlier. It does not ever mean that the coach waited until the player was ready to contribute to give him playing time.

You’ve been here long enough to know that.
Yeah, FHCRE1.0 waited exactly 'till Easley was ready to start playing him as an offensive weapon.

Reaction Score
Coaching staff: has seen a player in hundreds of hours of practice, individual workouts, and dissected every second of game film from high school and college.

Fan: has seen 6 minutes of game film in a blowout win vs. Eastern Idaho technical community college for girls and potatoes.

Coaching staff: "he isn't ready to play yet. Once he earns minutes we'll put him in"

Stick to coaching 7 year old girls and challenging people to fight on Reddit over Muay Thai arguments. Hurley admitted he didn’t accurately appraise Whaley. But again, go off.

Reaction Score

Pretty sure he outrebounded the potatoes.

Reaction Score
Karaban has won the BE Freshman of the week twice in a month. I'd say it's his job to lose the 4 spot.

Reaction Score
Purdue is really good.

I think Purdue is the best of the bunch that isn't us.
Purdue: All-freshmen backcourt
I think what Adrien says is a major concern. How would that backcourt do against Ajax and Hawks relentless defense and athleticism? I like Purdue but i think theyll get knocked off early. Backcourts win titles.

Reaction Score

Na Yakwe and Cobb were just studs. Hard to get minutes over them. You and Hurley may remember the same but Business Lawyer’s smug self (mis)remembers differently.

Reaction Score
I'd guess he averages more like 28 once Johnson returns, simply because I don't think he has the conditioning to play 30+ and we're deep. But I completely agree that he's going to play with Johnson some of the time. Matchups should dictate some of that.
so where does that leave samson? if he only takes 2 minutes from karaban and 1 or 2 minutes from Clingan (who's already playing less than 15mpg) then that puts samson at 3-4 mpg?? he might as well enter the transfer portal right now like the gtown guy just did.

Reaction Score
Springs not playing more is a crime against humanity. Well placed moles in Storrs tell me he is eating everyone's lunch in practice and coach doesn't want to play him because he wants to get beat every game.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
so where does that leave samson? if he only takes 2 minutes from karaban and 1 or 2 minutes from Clingan (who's already playing less than 15mpg) then that puts samson at 3-4 mpg?? he might as well enter the transfer portal right now like the gtown guy just did.
Huh? If Karaban plays 28, and say 6 of those at the 3, then there are 18 minutes at the 4. Add a few minutes at the 5, and he’s around 20 a game.

Fouls, matchups, will obviously make that flexible game to game. We all love what Clingan has done, but against a team like Villanova he may not be able to play as much.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I didn’t consider AK at the 3 I don’t think I’ve seen him playing there yet
He has. Not much because of circumstances

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
And considering what his defense has looked like at the 4 I doubt we see very much of it
AK? He’s arguably better defending 3s. His struggles come in the paint

Reaction Score
AK? He’s arguably better defending 3s. His struggles come in the paint
Yeah talking about Karaban. Could just be recency bias but strong disagree there. He doesn't have the foot speed to keep up with 3's and can mostly hold his own against 4's. Especially BE 4's

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yeah talking about Karaban. Could just be recency bias but strong disagree there. He doesn't have the foot speed to keep up with 3's and can mostly hold his own against 4's. Especially BE 4's
It’s strong, physical players that give him problems.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom