Other surprising (or otherwise eye-opening) results around WCBB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Other surprising (or otherwise eye-opening) results around WCBB

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Some "power 5" teams losing to mid- (or low-) majors:
  • ACC stalwart Boston College lost at Dartmouth, 68-57.
  • Seton Hall won at Wake Forest, 67-57.
  • Texas Tech fell on its home court to Texas State, 87-70.
  • Washington lost, also at home, to Idaho State, 79-59. It could be a long season in Seattle.
  • Florida Gulf Coast took it to Illinois, 85-61. (But kudos to Illinois for agreeing to a true road game at a perennially tough mid-major.)
A couple of intriguing overtime games (aside from Louisville-Ohio State):
  • North Carolina (playing without an injured Stephanie Watts), after losing to Hampton on Friday, overcame an 18-point first-half deficit to beat Colorado in overtime, 87-80.
  • South Dakota State won in overtime at George Washington, 97-88. This would've been a great win for Jen's team.
Kudos, shmudoes--The Illini get Florida in November. What's not to like?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
UW bounced back w/ an 80-72 win against BYU on Wednesday. I don't know anything about BYU this year, but they are usually fairly solid. Maybe the Huskies won't be as bad as I thought. Soph Amber Melgoza led the way w/ a career high 20 points. They started 3 freshmen, a soph and a Sr. who is a former walk on.
Elise Woodard (sp?), the color analyst on the UW-BYW game, said she'd never seen a more drastic turnaround between a team's first and second games.

UW looked good for 3 quarters and then just hung on in a sloppy 4th quarter. You could really see the style of play that Wynn was known for at LBSU: full-court pressure defense causing turovers and transition opportunities, and frequent substitutions. UW really tightened up in the 4th quarter, and I believe they went without a FG in that quarter. BYU drew to within about 6 points and missed some golden opportunities to close the gap further.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Kudos, shmudoes--The Illini get Florida in November. What's not to like?
Ha, that's a good point, but there are a lot of Florida cupcakes one could visit if the point were simply to get to Florida. FGCU is not one of them.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Elise Woodard (sp?), the color analyst on the UW-BYW game

Woodward. I really enjoy her calling games. She played bball at UW and has been in sports broadcasting for years. Stayed local. Has covered all sports in the Seattle area and has worked for UW. She's low key and knowledgeable.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Woodward. I really enjoy her calling games. She played bball at UW and has been in sports broadcasting for years. Stayed local. Has covered all sports in the Seattle area and has worked for UW. She's low key and knowledgeable.
Yeah, she's one of the better ones. She also does color for the Seattle Storm games, and she does play-by-play for Pac-12 Network volleyball (and perhaps other sports as well, I don't know).

Usually, those campus-produced live streams by Pac-12 schools are very unprofessional, with student commentators who barely know what they're talking about and have trouble forming sentences. But the UW live stream impressed me; it was as good as any broadcast.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Since upsetting Missouri in the season opener, Western Kentucky has suffered a couple of tough losses: first in OT at Iowa, and now at Indiana on a last-second bucket by Tyra Buss:

Neither of these teams is ranked, but IMO they are both strong contenders for an NCAA tournament bid.

Reaction Score
Georgia with some new stars Taja Cole and freshman Morrison beat Virginia 64-61

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm with ya. I really, really like her.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
DePaul beat Okla in OT on a 3 pt buzzer beater 111-108. A 219 affair. Almost 3,000 at DePaul fans going crazy!
Oklahoma played SMU last night and won.

Plebe

Reaction Score
For anyone interested in catching a close finish (albeit not between ranked teams), Vanderbilt and Iowa State are tied with under 2:00 to play.

On the SEC Network.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Any ideas as to why Vandy is struggling under White? I have not seen any of the games.
It is also really early days for her - 2018 class is probably her first full involvement class or maybe not until 2019. Vandy wasn't in good shape when she took the job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom