Other surprising (or otherwise eye-opening) results around WCBB | The Boneyard

Other surprising (or otherwise eye-opening) results around WCBB

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Some "power 5" teams losing to mid- (or low-) majors:
  • ACC stalwart Boston College lost at Dartmouth, 68-57.
  • Seton Hall won at Wake Forest, 67-57.
  • Texas Tech fell on its home court to Texas State, 87-70.
  • Washington lost, also at home, to Idaho State, 79-59. It could be a long season in Seattle.
  • Florida Gulf Coast took it to Illinois, 85-61. (But kudos to Illinois for agreeing to a true road game at a perennially tough mid-major.)
A couple of intriguing overtime games (aside from Louisville-Ohio State):
  • North Carolina (playing without an injured Stephanie Watts), after losing to Hampton on Friday, overcame an 18-point first-half deficit to beat Colorado in overtime, 87-80.
  • South Dakota State won in overtime at George Washington, 97-88. This would've been a great win for Jen's team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks, Plebe.

Boston College should be a mid-major. They are a pretender.

Washington had their glory years. Replacing Plum and Osahor is really tough.

FGCU is solid most years.

Sylvia has 990 career wins. I think she can get to 1,000 this year. But Geno will get there first.

I want to watch GW this year. It's only 20 minutes by Metro.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Thanks, Plebe.

Sylvia has 990 career wins. I think she can get to 1,000 this year. But Geno will get there first.

Sylvia's OOC schedule is SOFT. Colorado and Minnesota figure to be their toughest opponents. If they can avoid losing to any more teams like Hampton, Sylvia might hit 1,000 in December.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Thanks, Plebe.

If UNC lost to a MEAC team, even though Hampton is probably the top MEAC team, they will be lucky to win 10.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This underscores what a sub par job of recruiting Neighbors did his last 3 years at UW. Losing McDonald as a transfer was a killer. Having Romeo and Strother out due to injuries doesn't help. What's left is not a Power 5 conference worthy roster.

Of course Oregon St.'s roster was probably just as bad or worse when Rueck took over. He tied for 2nd in the conference in year 4 and then won the conference the next 3 years. Somehow I'm not really expecting Jody Wynn to be able to do the same.

Plebe

Reaction Score
This underscores what a sub par job of recruiting Neighbors did his last 3 years at UW. Losing McDonald as a transfer was a killer. Having Romeo and Strother out due to injuries doesn't help. What's left is not a Power 5 conference worthy roster.

Of course Oregon St.'s roster was probably just as bad or worse when Rueck took over. He tied for 2nd in the conference in year 4 and then won the conference the next 3 years. Somehow I'm not really expecting Jody Wynn to be able to do the same.

Indeed. Romeo and Strother and Gigi Garcia as well. Idaho State finished 6th in the Big Sky last year. I wonder how many games Washington would win in that conference this year.

It took Jody Wynn eight years at Long Beach State to win the Big West tournament (and finish second in the regular season). She's not the miracle worker that Rueck is.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Texas Tech will probably be predictably awful. Head coach is in 5th season, record 48-75. She was also under .500 at UMKC with one winning season in 10 total years coaching - yeah, you guessed it, her last year at UMKC. Nice season, but . . .

Reaction Score
Some "power 5" teams losing to mid- (or low-)
  • Florida Gulf Coast took it to Illinois, 85-61. (But kudos to Illinois for agreeing to a true road game at a perennially tough mid-major.)

1st game at Illinois for D3 coaching legend Nancy Fahey

Reaction Score
Sylvia's OOC schedule is SOFT. Colorado and Minnesota figure to be their toughest opponents. If they can avoid losing to any more teams like Hampton, Sylvia might hit 1,000 in December.

Washington plays UNC too. She should hit 1,000 in December. UNC had to got to overtime in order to beat a bottom tier Pac 12 team. I know this UNC team isn't as talented as past UNC teams but it's still an indictment on them l

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Didn't watch the UW game. Saw a recap later. UW forced 20 TO's but shot under 30% from the floor, Idaho St. shot 60%. Dawgs only down 3 at the half, grabbed a lead in the 3rd quarter. Down 8 after 3 then got outscored 24-12 in the 4th quarter. Their 5 freshmen scored 38 of the team's 59 points. I would think it's virtually impossible to win a game if your opponent's FG% is double yours.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Washington plays UNC too. She should hit 1,000 in December. UNC had to got to overtime in order to beat a bottom tier Pac 12 team. I know this UNC team isn't as talented as past UNC teams but it's still an indictment on them l
I intentionally didn't mention Washington because they just lost by 20 on their home court to Idaho State. They went from top-12 team last year to cupcake this year.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Western Kentucky is giving Notre Dame a good game in the first half.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Western Kentucky is giving Notre Dame a good game in the first half.

They are well coached and aggressive on defense and rebounding. Their zone has given ND trouble at times.

Western Kentucky only shot 22.5% in the 1st half but stayed in it with 17 offensive rebounds. Other than Shepard (9 rebounds in 11 minutes), ND has struggled on the boards.

ND needs more people to step up besides Ogunbowale and Shepard.

Reaction Score
Rutgers picked up a nice win over Temple yesterday, maybe the knights are back ? They bring in Zippy next year and recruits knowing Strings could be around a few more seasons could give them a decent 2019 class.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Seton Hall has been quietly improving since Tony Bozzella was hired as their Head Coach.

• Has posted three 20-win seasons at Seton Hall, boasting a 83-48 (.634) record over his three seasons as head coach
http://www.shupirates.com/coaches.aspx?rc=225&path=wbball
Seton Hall got a really good offseason pickup in graduate transfer Donnaizha Fountain from Temple. She had 18 points and 13 rebounds in Seton Hall's win over Wake Forest. Temple really misses her this year.

Plebe

Reaction Score
They are well coached and aggressive on defense and rebounding. Their zone has given ND trouble at times.

Western Kentucky only shot 22.5% in the 1st half but stayed in it with 17 offensive rebounds. Other than Shepard (9 rebounds in 11 minutes), ND has struggled on the boards.

ND needs more people to step up besides Ogunbowale and Shepard.
WKU has cut the deficit to 3 in the middle of the 3rd quarter. Shepard has 16 points and 11 boards, and Ogunbowale has 13 points, but Mabrey is having a miserable offensive game so far, 3 points on 1-of-8 plus 4 turnovers.

Reaction Score
ND up 7 after 3q. WK could be a top 25 team. They beat #23 Missouri and lost to Iowa on Iowa's home court in ot.

Plebe

Reaction Score
On ESPN3/watchESPN: Northern Iowa leads Iowa State by 2 points with 10 seconds to play, but Iowa State has the ball. Exciting finish.

Edit: Northern Iowa pulls out the win, 57-53. UNI received a somewhat surprising at-large bid to the NCAA tournament last year.

Elsewhere, Arkansas State edged out Florida in Gainesville, 70-69. Arkansas State plays South Florida on Friday.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Vandy also lost.
92-75 to central Michigan

Things progressing slowly for Stephanie White
And now Tulane, which itself had gotten off to an inauspicious 1-2 start, has now beaten Vanderbilt as well, 71-59. Kolby Morgan scored 27 points to lead the Green Wave.

Vandy is clearly going through its struggles, but it's always nice when an AAC team knocks off a P5 team.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Vandy also lost.
92-75 to central Michigan
Things progressing slowly for Stephanie White

And now Tulane, which itself had gotten off to an inauspicious 1-2 start, has now beaten Vanderbilt as well, 71-59. Kolby Morgan scored 27 points to lead the Green Wave.
Vandy is clearly going through its struggles, but it's always nice when an AAC team knocks of a P5 team.
Any ideas as to why Vandy is struggling under White? I have not seen any of the games.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I intentionally didn't mention Washington because they just lost by 20 on their home court to Idaho State. They went from top-12 team last year to cupcake this year.

UW bounced back w/ an 80-72 win against BYU on Wednesday. I don't know anything about BYU this year, but they are usually fairly solid. Maybe the Huskies won't be as bad as I thought. Soph Amber Melgoza led the way w/ a career high 20 points. They started 3 freshmen, a soph and a Sr. who is a former walk on.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Any ideas as to why Vandy is struggling under White? I have not seen any of the games.
I don't have the answer since I haven't watched them much either, but to be fair, these are not cupcakes that Vandy has lost to. Middle Tennessee State and Central Michigan are both quality mid-majors, and Tulane isn't chopped liver either. Central Michigan was 15-1 in its home gym last year, and they return four starters from last year's WNIT team.

Another thing is that White deserves some credit for taking her team out on the road. A lot of the P5 teams (like North Carolina and Alabama) barely leave their home gym in November and December. Vandy opened against MTSU at home but then 6 out of its next 7 games are on the road.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom