Other Games (11/13) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Other Games (11/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tenn: 649 on directv.....Tenn up by 13 with 1:30 to go in 1st half.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Tenn looks kinda ragged and a lot like last year's team. Ariel sat early with fouls.

Pepperdine doing the right thing: spread the floor and try to take Tenn of the dribble. Pepperdine struggling with shots and fouls. Tenn should overwhelm them in the 2nd half.

36-21 @ halftime

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Georgetown didn't play very well; Sugar Rodgers didn't really even show up until there were only 4 minutes left in the game, and hers was the only name that I recognized. Three players fouled out in the last few minutes, I think partly out of sheer frustration because they knew they could play better; one of the was Rodgers.
Or they finally ran into some refs who actually called all of their pushing, shoving and holding.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Louisville beats Mizzou State 73-64. Again, no shoni today. Maybe an injury? Warren led the way with 18 points and Sara Hammond grabbed 13 boards. I was wrong in earlier post -- game was not at the Yum but at Mo State.

Checked the L'ville board and sounds like shoni will miss a couple of games b/c of some improper summer league games. So, she'll miss the texas A&M game this week.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Georgetown didn't play very well; Sugar Rodgers didn't really even show up until there were only 4 minutes left in the game, and hers was the only name that I recognized. Three players fouled out in the last few minutes, I think partly out of sheer frustration because they knew they could play better; one of the was Rodgers.
Rodgers not showing up is not very unusual. That kid has great ability but does so little with it, must be very frustrating for her coach and team mates.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Tenn now overpowering Pepperdine with Massengale back on the floor. Tenn looks so much better on the break when they get the ball to a guard. Pepperdine breaking Tenn's press pretty well.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It's Nneka for STanford and not much else. She has 18 of 35 points.

Edit: it's Nneka and Chiney and not much else...but enough so far. Stanford up 41-37 under 16 min timeout in second half. The O sisters have 13 of Stanford's 16 baskets.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
It's Nneka for STanford and not much else. She has 18 of 35 points.

Edit: it's Nneka and Chiney and not much else...but enough so far. Stanford up 41-37 under 16 min timeout in second half. The O sisters have 13 of Stanford's 16 baskets.
Sounds like Stanford is having even more trouble on offense than they did vs. Texas. Not surprising, since they lost so much on the perimeter (Pedersen and Pohlen).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sounds like Stanford is having even more trouble on offense than they did vs. Texas. Not surprising, since they lost so much on the perimeter (Pedersen and Pohlen).

Yeah, the perimeter shooting is not the strength it was last year, at least not yet. But Nneka and Chiney are forces inside. The 'ford up 62-48 and Nneka has 30 and Chiney with 13. About 6-7 mins left.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Stanford in control now 73-56 w/ 2 mins left. It's the O sisters and now Kokenis; everybody else pretty much a non-factor for Stanford.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Stanford in control now 73-56 w/ 2 mins left. It's the O sisters and now Kokenis; everybody else pretty much a non-factor for Stanford.
Nneka had 33 points and a billion rebounds in 35 minutes. Looks like Tara is playing her at the 5, so Stef will be matched up with her. I could see both players getting into foul trouble next Monday, which could lead to lots of minutes for Kiah and Heather.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nneka had 33 points and a billion rebounds in 35 minutes. Looks like Tara is playing her at the 5, so Stef will be matched up with her. I could see both players getting into foul trouble next Monday, which could lead to lots of minutes for Kiah and Heather.
Need to stay out of foul trouble. Nneka is very quick.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Need to stay out of foul trouble. Nneka is very quick.

Post foul trouble against Stanford would be a disaster. Geno talked about not fouling in his press conference, plus rebounding of course. I noticed that KML is so fundamentally sound as a rebounder. She boxes out beautifully. She's only 6' but she's very strong.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Post foul trouble against Stanford would be a disaster. Geno talked about not fouling in his press conference, plus rebounding of course. I noticed that KML is so fundamentally sound as a rebounder. She boxes out beautifully. She's only 6' but she's very strong.
Shooter? What shooter? :)

The 3-ball was not falling today, but she still had an impact. She has smarts, strength, and lots of skills, not just shooting.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Re: Louisville game.
It was at MO. State.
Shoni is apparently out for 2 games due to a minor NCAA infraction from this past summer. Will sit the aTm game.
Tia Gibbs and Mo Reid were nursing minor injuries.
I did not get to listen to the game, but what I have read sounds like our newbies took care of business.
Cierra Warren had 18 points in just 12 minutes of play and Sara Hammond recorded her first double-double. Bria Smith scored 10.

Not a great start to the season, but, we got the win. Lots of work to do if we are going to keep ourselves in the top 10(from what I have read). Considering the injuries and Shoni sitting out, I am glad for the win.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Certainly very troublesome, but I'm not at all sure post foul trouble vs. Stanford would be a disaster. Stanford really has only one post player that can score a lot and that's Nneka. Chiney is really more of a perimeter player who can rebound really well, and Tinkle is also more of a perimeter player. That leaves Boothe, who is a competent backup, but not someone who's likely to score a lot.

Against them, we have Stef, who can certainly score as well as Nneka can. Plus a couple of long, athletic players in Heather and Kiah to back her up. And we have some wings with size and strength in Kelly, Tiff and Kaleena to deal with Chiney and Tinkle.

So yes, Stef getting in foul trouble would require Heather and Kiah to come in and defend Nneka. And I think both have the size and athleticism to get it done. But of course they lack the experience, particularly Kiah.

So the answer is for Stef to get Nneka in foul trouble, instead of the opposite.

Reaction Score
Certainly very troublesome, but I'm not at all sure post foul trouble vs. Stanford would be a disaster. Stanford really has only one post player that can score a lot and that's Nneka. Chiney is really more of a perimeter player who can rebound really well, and Tinkle is also more of a perimeter player. That leaves Boothe, who is a competent backup, but not someone who's likely to score a lot.

Against them, we have Stef, who can certainly score as well as Nneka can. Plus a couple of long, athletic players in Heather and Kiah to back her up. And we have some wings with size and strength in Kelly, Tiff and Kaleena to deal with Chiney and Tinkle.

So yes, Stef getting in foul trouble would require Heather and Kiah to come in and defend Nneka. And I think both have the size and athleticism to get it done. But of course they lack the experience, particularly Kiah.

So the answer is for Stef to get Nneka in foul trouble, instead of the opposite.[/quote]

In 33 games last year, Nnemkadi Ogwumike never fouled out, committed 4 fouls in just one game, and committed three fouls in 11 others. From what little I have seen, Nneka, with only 18 blocks last year, does not aggressively challenge many shots as much as she tries to get good position and force her opponent to take an uncomfortable shot. As a point of comparison, Kelly Faris had 22 blocks last year, Heather Buck had 12, and Lorin Dixon had 10.

Reaction Score
So yes, Stef getting in foul trouble would require Heather and Kiah to come in and defend Nneka. And I think both have the size and athleticism to get it done.

Nneka would school either of them.
The key will be team defense, of which UConn is typically good at.

Reaction Score
Or they finally ran into some refs who actually called all of their pushing, shoving and holding.
That, too. They played that way and the refs called a lot of it, which got them into big foul trouble the first half in particular. Then they go and commit frustration fouls when they already have four on them.
I thought Georgetown was fairly talented and very aggressive, but never quite got into the game; lots of early fouls hurt them. MD in my view was just talented.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
VAUConnFan, great info re. Nneka's defense. On reflection, it's not surprising, and it tells me she may not have a lot of success defending Stef.

Reaction Score
So the answer is for Stef to get Nneka in foul trouble, instead of the opposite.

Seems unlikely. Stanford has more bigs - if Nneka did get fouls, they could put her on Faris and move Chiney on Stef.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom