OT - Yard Goats Home Opener Sold Out in 30 Minutes | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT - Yard Goats Home Opener Sold Out in 30 Minutes

Reaction Score
Bees games are horrifically bad. I went two years ago and will likely never go back. Nothing against the stadium, prices, etc but the product on the field was terrible. It’s a bunch of washed out MLB players who are still clinging to their dream or players not good enough to even make it to one of the 100’s of MiLB teams.

At least in MiLB games you have the chance to see future MLB stars or even rehabbing current stars. The game itself is better and more entertaining. The feel of the game at Bees games was just boring.

Sorry to those old Rock Cat fans who hold a grudge against the Yard Goats but the entire Yard Goats experience is light years above the Bees.

So you're basing your opinions on the Bees and Indy baseball from one game you attended 2 years ago? :rolleyes:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So you're basing your opinions on the Bees and Indy baseball from one game you attended 2 years ago? :rolleyes:
Yeah basically I am. Can you tell me why I'd be wrong? There's no reason the game play should be any better. It's washed out players playing because they enjoy it. I can go watch rec softball and get the same feeling. It'd actually be cheaper to drink there.

Cut me a break.

Reaction Score
Yeah basically I am. Can you tell me why I'd be wrong? There's no reason the game play should be any better. It's washed out players playing because they enjoy it. I can go watch rec softball and get the same feeling. It'd actually be cheaper to drink there.

Cut me a break.

At least you actually went to a game. There was a Goats "fan", who was a contributor to a blog called "Bleating Hartford", who talked so much crap about New Britain and the Bees. I know for a fact he's never stepped foot in New Britain Stadium since the Rock Cats left.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's better New Britain has a pro franchise than not. The players are obviously not bad and not all play half-assed. The league also has star power. I've been to plenty of Bluefish games and the only problem I was seeing was no diving for the ball in the outfield, but that was understandable because I noticed that in the last year and the field was in horrible shape, so understandable. Certainly enjoyed the Bluefish.

It's nonsense to shame an organization when they are really trying their best. The Atlantic League does try it's best. Quite an ambitious independent league. The Waterbury Spirit were also fun to watch at that horrible stadium. The Northern League should place another team in CT somewhere.

Reaction Score
Indy baseball isn't the "garbage" some people make it out to be. Yes, it's not the same caliber you would see at the MiLB level but it's also light-years above rec softball.

Reaction Score
I've been to plenty of Bluefish games and the only problem I was seeing was no diving for the ball in the outfield, but that was understandable because I noticed that in the last year and the field was in horrible shape, so understandable.

What was up with the lack of upkeep on the field? Did they run out of money or just stopped caring?

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Indy baseball isn't the "garbage" some people make it out to be. Yes, it's not the same caliber you would see at the MiLB level but it's also light-years above rec softball.
Sure that’s true. However, it’s not worth spending any money to go see in NB when you can go 10 mins up the road to see better baseball in Hartford.

Reaction Score
Sure that’s true. However, it’s not worth spending any money to go see in NB when you can go 10 mins up the road to see better baseball in Hartford.

That's just it, most people (casual fans and families with children) who go to MiLB games don't really care how good or bad the baseball is. If you asked a family that's seen both the Bees and Goats, they probably couldn't tell you the difference between the two.

Reaction Score
What was up with the lack of upkeep on the field? Did they run out of money or just stopped caring?
Uncertainty of the future of the league in Bridgeport. The league wanted to stay in Bridgeport. The city has other ideas.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
That's just it, most people (casual fans and families with children) who go to MiLB games don't really care how good or bad the baseball is. If you asked a family that's seen both the Bees and Goats, they probably couldn't tell you the difference between the two.
Yeah I guess that's true. We went with the camp I run the year the Yard Goats were vagabonds. The kids didn't seem to care much. The adults were bored out of their minds. (Not being able to drink probably didn't help!)

In the end, I'll likely not be going back to a Bees game but that's me. I really like the new stadium and my little ones have a blast at Yard Goat games. Overall great experience.

Reaction Score
The new stadium is why the Yard Goats now exist. Would be nice if we can move up to AAA baseball in Hartford. Gotta really lure the Paw Sox.

Reaction Score
That's a lame excuse for letting the field deteriorate like that.
They were minimizing costs of maintaining the whole stadium. Got to look in the home team's dugout after the last game; was a wreck.

Reaction Score
They wouldn't know the players but they could certainly tell the difference in the experience.

Reaction Score
The new stadium is why the Yard Goats now exist. Would be nice if we can move up to AAA baseball in Hartford. Gotta really lure the Paw Sox.

Crazy to think Josh Solomon was scouting out locations in Massachusetts before Hartford convinced him to move his team there.

Reaction Score
Crazy to think Josh Solomon was scouting out locations in Massachusetts before Hartford convinced him to move his team there.

Crazy to think they'd still be in New Britain if the mayor had simply given Solomon what he asked for, and what she ended up giving the Bees anyway . . .

Reaction Score
Crazy to think they'd still be in New Britain if the mayor had simply given Solomon what he asked for, and what she ended up giving the Bees anyway . . .

Where exactly does it say Solomon reached to Mayor Stewart for anything? Every article I have read over the past few years claims that Solomon never reached out to her once before the move was announced. She wasn't even aware of his intentions until she found out in June 2014 along with everyone else. Not to mention he was already in talks with Hartford city officials in November 2012 about moving his team. Apparently he didn't talk to her until AFTER his intentions were revealed. Hartford Plans $60 Million Stadium; Rock Cats Owner Says 'Opportunity Couldn't Pass Up'

At least he apologized for not contacting her sooner. Problems With New Britain Stadium Put Solomon On The Move

upload_2018-2-4_22-8-16.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The lease was up at the end of 2015. When Solomon took over he began renewal discussions and asked for certain improvements to the ballpark and a share of parking revenue and team control over groundskeeping. He was refused.

Reaction Score
The lease was up at the end of 2015. When Solomon took over he began renewal discussions and asked for certain improvements to the ballpark and a share of parking revenue and team control over groundskeeping. He was refused.

If Solomon was so interested in "renewal discussions", why was he talking to Pedro Segarra and his cronies mere months after purchasing the Rock Cats? You'd think a man like him wouldn't give up that fast. Do you have any sources backing up your claims he actually was communicating with the city at all? Because every single article I've read says otherwise. Oh and having a hatred for Stewart doesn't count.

Reaction Score
If Solomon was so interested in "renewal discussions", why was he talking to Pedro Segarra and his cronies mere months after purchasing the Rock Cats? You'd think a man like him wouldn't give up that fast. Do you have any sources backing up your claims he actually was communicating with the city at all? Because every single article I've read says otherwise. Oh and having a hatred for Stewart doesn't count.

Someone (Solomn?) figured out that Hartford was an untapped gold mine. I don't think it had anything to do with New Britain doing anything wrong.

Reaction Score
Someone (Solomn?) figured out that Hartford was an untapped gold mine. I don't think it had anything to do with New Britain doing anything wrong.

I believe it. Solomon had no intentions on keeping the Rock Cats in New Britain. As soon as Hartford heard he was scouting out locations in Massachusetts, they contacted him about the possibility of moving the team there.

Reaction Score
Blocking HWP was the best move I ever made. He hasn't posted 1 thing pertaining to UConn, except for derogatory comments about the hockey team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom