OT - Yard Goats Home Opener Sold Out in 30 Minutes | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - Yard Goats Home Opener Sold Out in 30 Minutes

Reaction Score
Has there been an discussion of getting UCONN Baseball to play a few series in Hartford?

Reaction Score
It's the first game at a new stadium, of course it sold out. Nobody expects it to sell out every game, they didn't when they were in New Britain. But it was also a well run minor league team with very good attendance.

Everyone complains about how much Hartford sucks and there's nothing to do. Part of helping Hartford turn around means going to some of these games, having dinner downtown, spending some time and money in the city.

Instead of complaining about the stadium, go to some games and support the team. $5 for parking. You can buy tickets online for $6 each.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Okay, I just bought tickets to a Yard Goats game. June game against the Binghampton Mets Rumble Ponies (formerly the Bees). Love the Yard Goat logos and colors, I think they really nailed the look. Gonna be fun. And no, I never would have gotten in my car to drive to a New Britain game. Right or wrong, stadiums and stadium settings are one of the reasons to get out of your house these days.

Reaction Score
I'll go on record. I not only think that the Goats will be a big success. I think it will jump start building on the empty lots that have been there since the 1970s. I predict it will transform the neighborhood.

Reaction Score
I'll go on record. I not only think that the Goats will be a big success. I think it will jump start building on the empty lots that have been there since the 1970s. I predict it will transform the neighborhood.

I think your wrong. The colossal failure that was the on again, off again construction of the stadium is just the opening salvo of bad karma that ensues when you screw one community in favor of another just to create temporary union work. It would have been cheaper for the tax payers to fix up Beehive Stadium. Your so concerned with Hartford? Start by cleaning up the North End and then replace the Civic Center with a multi-use, retractable domed stadium that will attract not just local minor league baseball fans but people through out the region for concerts, a wide variety of sporting events, trade shows and conventions. Sure it would have initially cost more but you'd be able to use it for twelve months a year as compared to six or seven and attendees wouldn't be sitting in the rain or sleet. Why there are domed stadiums in the warm states and only one in the most populated region of the U.S. is baffling. You want to turn Hartford into a gem, bustling with activity? Start by building something no one else around New England has.

Reaction Score

I think your wrong. The colossal failure that was the on again, off again construction of the stadium is just the opening salvo of bad karma that ensues when you screw one community in favor of another just to create temporary union work. It would have been cheaper for the tax payers to fix up Beehive Stadium. Your so concerned with Hartford? Start by cleaning up the North End and then replace the Civic Center with a multi-use, retractable domed stadium that will attract not just local minor league baseball fans but people through out the region for concerts, a wide variety of sporting events, trade shows and conventions. Sure it would have initially cost more but you'd be able to use it for twelve months a year as compared to six or seven and attendees wouldn't be sitting in the rain or sleet. Why there are domed stadiums in the warm states and only one in the most populated region of the U.S. is baffling. You want to turn Hartford into a gem, bustling with activity? Start by building something no one else around New England has.

It's a prediction. Time will tell if I'm right or wrong. Same with your opinion. There will be an objective answer.

But one thing you might notice. The on again off again hotel on Market Street. Stalled for years. Once the ball park began construction, the hotel suddenly sprang back to life and it's time table put the hotel opening at the same time as the ball park opening. Coincidence? Could be. Curious though.

Reaction Score
Competitive venues for trade shows, concerts and conventions already exist. Building another one in the center of the city would be monumentally stupid.

Southern cities have domed/retractable roof stadiums because if they don't the temperature in the stands during the summer would be roughly 2 million degrees.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'll be going to the Bees.
Have you been to a game? I went to one last year and the on the field product was abysmal. At least with MiLB ball your watching players who have talent and are future stars (some). Bees games are just a bunch of has beens and a few guys who are just hoping for a shot. On top of that, the roster is a revolving door throughout the season.

I just felt like going to the Bees game last year was nothing like any of the Rock Cat games I had been to previously. I think being an independent team really hurts the product. Not sure being a short season Single A team would be much better but it might be.

Reaction Score
Have you been to a game? I went to one last year and the on the field product was abysmal. At least with MiLB ball your watching players who have talent and are future stars (some). Bees games are just a bunch of has beens and a few guys who are just hoping for a shot. On top of that, the roster is a revolving door throughout the season.

I just felt like going to the Bees game last year was nothing like any of the Rock Cat games I had been to previously. I think being an independent team really hurts the product. Not sure being a short season Single A team would be much better but it might be.

yes, I do agree the product was much more scaled-back. However I still do not like what Hartford pulled, it was b.s. and karma obviously came back to bite them (as it should).

Reaction Score
Competitive venues for trade shows, concerts and conventions already exist. Building another one in the center of the city would be monumentally stupid.

What are you talking about? There's no other recently built Connecticut Convention Center located in Hartford with an also recently built Marriott attached to it.

/sarcasm

Reaction Score

The Atlantic League does very well in getting players back into the MLB or international leagues. 40 players in 2015 alone. Been to countless Bluefish games. Including the game Pete Rose managed. It's not bad baseball, at all. Rates between AA and AAA.

http://www.atlanticleague.com/about/newswire/index.html?article_id=254

Reaction Score
You typed all that not being aware this stadium was built to help gentrify the North End? Really?

Holy cow.

Reaction Score
You typed all that not being aware this stadium was built to help gentrify the North End? Really?

Holy cow.

I've been a proponent of the stadium for the City of Hartford, but I'm really not sure how the stadium does anything for people living near Tower Ave or Clay Arsenal, or the Granby St projects.

The stadium is north of I-84, that's about all it has in common with the North End. Can you explain?

Reaction Score
yes, I do agree the product was much more scaled-back. However I still do not like what Hartford pulled, it was b.s. and karma obviously came back to bite them (as it should).

This likely would have been prevented had the Fat Chick given the team the same deal she gave the Bees on parking and stadium upgrades. Were they secretive about it? Sure. Too bad.

Reaction Score
I've been a proponent of the stadium for the City of Hartford, but I'm really not sure how the stadium does anything for people living near Tower Ave or Clay Arsenal, or the Granby St projects.

The stadium is north of I-84, that's about all it has in common with the North End. Can you explain?
The stadium is still right by the neighborhood. Consider how sports venues helped gentrify Bridgeport. Place used to be a mess. Shootings, car jackings, etc. Worse than the North End of Hartford. Now, it's actually much safer. And the venues in Bridgeport are not as close to key residential districts as the new stadium in Hartford. In Bridgeport, there's not much on the South End when it comes to residencies. UB and Seaside Park occupy a good percentage of the South End of Bridgeport. Marina Village is being torn down now, though.

Reaction Score
The stadium is still right by the neighborhood. Consider how sports venues helped gentrify Bridgeport. Place used to be a mess. Shootings, car jackings, etc. Worse than the North End of Hartford. Now, it's actually much safer. And the venues in Bridgeport are not as close to key residential districts as the new stadium in Hartford. In Bridgeport, there's not much on the South End when it comes to residencies. UB and Seaside Park occupy a good percentage of the South End of Bridgeport. Marina Village is being torn down now, though.
HUH???

Have you looked at a map? The stadium is by which neighborhood? It's right next to Clay Arsenal, but so is Downtown Hartford, and that's done nothing to help Clay. It's not near the North End, it's 2-3 miles away. It's not near the Mark Twain projects. It's the same distance from there as it is from Frog Hollow.

The Xfinity Theater is close to Clay, closer to the North End, it does absolutely nothing for the neighborhoods.

Nobody going to the games will even have to go into Clay unless they get lost.

I support the stadium, I'm looking forward to bringing my family to some games. But the North End is only going to benefit indirectly through a reduced tax burden if the stadium is profitable and helps revitalize downtown. The north end, clay arsenal, Frog Hollow, and Mark Twain won't be any safer on a Saturday night with baseball, than they were on a Saturday night with a concert at Xfinity or the XL.

Reaction Score
Tearing down Father Panik village did more for Bridgeport than the stadium ever could. That was one of, if not the, most dangerous places (per capita) in the country. The fact it no longer exists certainly helped reduce crime.

Reaction Score
Southern cities have domed/retractable roof stadiums because if they don't the temperature in the stands during the summer would be roughly 2 million degrees.
And in the Northeast for a third of the year it's 2 million degrees below zero so why not try to accommodate the vastly superior population up North like the forward thinking entrepreneurs in the South accommodate their masses?

Reaction Score

Holy cow.
You can't really be that stupid. How does building a stadium in any way "gentrify" Frog Hollow?

Reaction Score
Tearing down Father Panik village did more for Bridgeport than the stadium ever could. That was one of, if not the, most dangerous places (per capita) in the country. The fact it no longer exists certainly helped reduce crime.
That was obviously a start. But the sports venues still did a lot in changing how residents of Bridgeport and surrounding areas perceived the city. Now, we have NCAA regionals and UConn home games here.

I was going by Albany Ave when it comes to what I said about Hartford.

Reaction Score

I just felt like going to the Bees game last year was nothing like any of the Rock Cat games I had been to previously. I think being an independent team really hurts the product.

That and the concessions/tickets are over priced. Why would someone want to spend $20+ to watch an Atlantic League game? You'll be able to go to the Yard Goats for cheaper and it will be better all-around. I also have a better time at the Bristol Blues which everybody should check out if you're in the area.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom