OT: World Cup | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Germany smearing Portugal while Pepe and Coentrao go out was pretty close to a best-case scenario for the US. If they manage to take 3 points off of Ghana, they're probably favored to get out of group.

Reaction Score
Plus if Germany beats Ghana, they could be in a situation where they have the top spot in the group locked up at 2-0 with a huge goal differential before they even play us - and could rest some key players or people with yellow card issues. That could make a difference if we have to beat them to advance.

Reaction Score
Plus if Germany beats Ghana, they could be in a situation where they have the top spot in the group locked up at 2-0 with a huge goal differential before they even play us - and could rest some key players or people with yellow card issues. That could make a difference if we have to beat them to advance.

This is a good point. The goal differential really helps us on two fronts, since now if we manage to beat Ghana and draw Portugal, we probably go through on GD, even with a loss to Germany.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is a good point. The goal differential really helps us on two fronts, since now if we manage to beat Ghana and draw Portugal, we probably go through on GD, even with a loss to Germany.

Meanwhile, Portugal will need to play aggressively against the U.S. if we come into that match with a win against Ghana. Their defense is already suspect, and that could provide some chances for the U.S. Portugal is in a very tough spot.

Reaction Score
The key is beating Ghana. If the US wins, and say it is by a goal, Portugal will go into the match against the US knowing they have to win and win big. As of today, they may not even have enough available bodies left to do so in a location that even before injuries, was expected to test their fitness against a US that seems to thrive in it.

In that scenario, my primary concern is that Portugal concedes they are out, gets all emotional about it, and turns the match against the US into the 2014 version of the Battle of Nuremberg while eking out a tie in the middle of all of those pretty yellow and red cards. A depleted US team then falls to Germany. That leaves the US and Ghana each with 4 points and the US loses out on Goal Differential.

Reaction Score
Portugal only has 6 defenders on their roster, and two are out for the next match (maybe more, in Coentrao's case).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
In that scenario, my primary concern is that Portugal concedes they are out, gets all emotional about it, and turns the match against the US into the 2014 version of the Battle ofy Nuremberg while eking out a tie in the middle of all of those pretty yellow and red cards. A depleted US team then falls to Germany. That leaves the US and Ghana each with 4 points and the US loses out on Goal Differential.

I do not see this Portuguese side rising to the occasion in that scenario though. Ronaldo and crew just don't exude that type of mentality.

Reaction Score
I do not see this Portuguese side rising to the occasion in that scenario though. Ronaldo and crew just don't exude that type of mentality.

For whatever reason, Portugal always manages to reinforce their reputation of being mentally weak. For all of the high-priced talent they carry, they're notorious for dropping points to inferior sides all the time. They had to go to a playoff in UEFA qualifying because they finished second to Russia in their qualifying group.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
How about we beat Ghana before we discuss group scenarios?

Hey, we are taking help where we can get it. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

As I said before, the Ghanaian side scares me, because they are one of the few sides that can out-physical the US. Takes away one of our strengths.

Reaction Score
61cygni said:
Wow, that Switzerland finish, gutting for Ecuador with that good chance on the other end just a moment earlier
Yes, gutting, because one team never stopped playing. Look in the mirror loss for Ecuador!

Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
England needs an entire generation to get off the pitch before they ever have a change of doing anything. This current group (the older guys) just don't have the right mix.
Yes, and leave hair plugs on the bench!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Wow, that was a thrill ride at the end there. So gutting....then so exhilarating. The bar was dead silent when Ghana scored.....and the roof blew off and didn't stop until the game ended.

Man, though, we took some losses. Obviously have to wait for the report (and I'll be happy to be wrong), but I won't be surprised if Altidore is done for the group stage at the very least.

And just to criticize a little bit....Michael Bradley...damn, that was an awful game. D+ only because we won. That said, we beat Ghana while our facilitator/playmaker played with two left feet. That's a good thing. Come on MB, the World Cup started last week!

Oh, and Graham Zusi should play more.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
Wow, that was a thrill ride at the end there. So gutting....then so exhilarating. The bar was dead silent when Ghana scored.....and the roof blew off and didn't stop until the game ended. Man, though, we took some losses. Obviously have to wait for the report (and I'll be happy to be wrong), but I won't be surprised if Altidore is done for the group stage at the very least. And just to criticize a little bit....Michael Bradley...damn, that was an awful game. D+ only because we won. That said, we beat Ghana while our facilitator/playmaker was pretty much non existent. That's a good thing. Come on MB, the World Cup started last week!

Bradley was awful with the ball. We have such little team skill that we need him to be sharp. We couldn't possess or string more than a couple passes together and make them pay for pressing forward. Some of it was perhaps getting conservative after the early goal, but obviously 89:30 is a long time to bunker down and I really thought we might lose 2-1 after they tied it since we had been on the ropes for so long. His decision to boom the ball across the field in the final minute was unfathomably dumb - we had to defend one more attack than we should have and I was thinking "if they get a miracle goal here, Bradley will never live that down" but we handled it ok. He worked hard and was valuable defensively, but geez we couldn't get anyone forward because Bradley would give the ball away so often (Johanssen was pretty bad as a target coming in for Altidore too - he didn't do his job at all. We may need to look at our other options there).

This is all said under a "get the W, style doesn't matter" category, obviously. Just acknowledgement that we need some of our guys to be better. Dempsey didn't play particularly well after the goal and the bloody nose, but we'll take a one-goal, not-much-else game from him. Howard was in a tough spot on the goal, but you'd like to see him protect the near post - far post there's always the chance a defender could get there to clear it. But there were good things too. Jones was excellent in his role, Cameron was steady. I would have rated Fabian Johnson pretty highly but he was toasted on the goal ball watching. Brooks looked shaky at first, but settled in nicely (even leaving the goal out of it). They picked on Beasley for much of the game trying to exploit him and forced us to adjust, but he battled. Hopefully he won't need so much help in the next couple games, but left back has been a trouble spot for us forever.

We also can't give everyone time to pick put their shots from 25 yards when we have 8 guys in position on D. They are low percentage yes, but you at least want to put them under a little bit of duress, since a world class player can pick a corner or put a ball on frame with a lot of movement. One low bullet was put right at Howard and Ghana had two guys crashing unmarked - if Howard spilled that one, it was a goal.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Bradley was awful with the ball. We have such little team skill that we need him to be sharp. We couldn't possess or string more than a couple passes together and make them pay for pressing forward. Some of it was perhaps getting conservative after the early goal, but obviously 89:30 is a long time to bunker down and I really thought we might lose 2-1 after they tied it since we had been on the ropes for so long. His decision to boom the ball across the field in the final minute was unfathomably dumb - we had to defend one more attack than we should have and I was thinking "if they get a miracle goal here, Bradley will never live that down" but we handled it ok. He worked hard and was valuable defensively, but geez we couldn't get anyone forward because Bradley would give the ball away so often (Johanssen was pretty bad as a target coming in for Altidore too - he didn't do his job at all. We may need to look at our other options there).

This is all said under a "get the W, style doesn't matter" category, obviously. Just acknowledgement that we need some of our guys to be better. Dempsey didn't play particularly well after the goal and the bloody nose, but we'll take a one-goal, not-much-else game from him. Howard was in a tough spot on the goal, but you'd like to see him protect the near post - far post there's always the chance a defender could get there to clear it. But there were good things too. Jones was excellent in his role, Cameron was steady. I would have rated Fabian Johnson pretty highly but he was toasted on the goal ball watching. Brooks looked shaky at first, but settled in nicely (even leaving the goal out of it). They picked on Beasley for much of the game trying to exploit him and forced us to adjust, but he battled. Hopefully he won't need so much help in the next couple games, but left back has been a trouble spot for us forever.

We also can't give everyone time to pick put their shots from 25 yards when we have 8 guys in position on D. They are low percentage yes, but you at least want to put them under a little bit of duress, since a world class player can pick a corner or put a ball on frame with a lot of movement. One low bullet was put right at Howard and Ghana had two guys crashing unmarked - if Howard spilled that one, it was a goal.

Bedoya played a really solid game as well. Beasley was teetering there for a while but played smart and recovered when he had to.

Reaction Score
I also thought that Bradley was horrible. The US could not connect and retain the ball in the midfield at all. Hones player hard and avoided car issues, which is good. Beasley played as I thought he would, with pace and experience; but, does make mistakes. Also agree that the US can't sit back and allow Portugal to take shots from 35 yard out because the one thing that Ronaldo can do besides tear his shirt off, wink, and wave at the ref every time he trips over himself looking at his reflection is shoot well from long range. Still , considering I give the US an A for effort and a D for execution, a win is three points and it was at least not handed to the US like Brazil's 3 pints. It was earned with blood, literally.

Very concerned about Jozy for the next match. The US really does not have a person on the bench with that physical, holding capability. Besler, Bedoya, and Dempsey also are dinged. Dempsey could even miss the next match should his broken nose swell-up and becomes a breathing issue. I say let Brooks start for Besler anyway, he earned it. Omar appears to the extra warm body should we have more injury/card issues. Still have no idea if we will ever see Yeldin or Green on the pitch at all. Chandler and Davis may not either. Would have been good to have a Eddie Johnson, head case and all or LD on the bench as an experienced sub. But, I am just a armchair coach.

Thoughts on the Portugal match? They have injury/card issues, too. will they come out trying to piece together a pair of wins to advance or will they give up and just settle for a re-hash of the Battle of Nuremburg? Really concerned about the US keeping everyone healthy in Manaus, which will be a sauna.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
we need to get a win or tie and keep portugal from making up that goal differential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom