OT: With NCAA investigation underway, Arizona's Sean Miller faces complicated future | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: With NCAA investigation underway, Arizona's Sean Miller faces complicated future

Reaction Score
The NCAA isn't monitoring the university's classes for academic quality....only that the athletes meet an APR standard.

If the classes are pure crap, but all students can go to them, it isn't in the NCAA realm. They just want the athletes to make a certain APR even if in a crap class (quality wise).

Reaction Score
The APR exists just to have a "student athlete" in name...so that kids don't go to school to play basketball and blow off going to class or any pretense of being an actual student.

pj

Reaction Score
The NCAA should not have been able to implement any APR (Academic Progress
Rating) in the first place. BUT they did. They put all member schools on the same playing field of APR.
And they punished UCONN. That's why UCONN fans might reasonably expect repercussions for schools with 2 decades of shameful academic fraud. (Assuming a level academic field). Otherwise they should have said "ANY SCHOOL CAN HAVE BOGUS COURSES" to fulfill their APR.

They apparently did say that, with a wink and a nod, which is why the UNCs and Kentuckys knew how to generate perfect APRs from the get-go. UConn just wasn't connected and thought it should be a traditional university with academic standards. Whether it was personal from Emmert or an institutional desire to have a scapegoat so that the NCAA could grandstand before the media pretending that the standards were real, the NCAA seized its chance.

Reaction Score
The best part of the whole UNC thing is they gave separate, completely contradictory responses to the 2 bodies that investigated them. They told the NCAA that the classes were fraudulent, but also available to non student athletes, and thus not an added benefit. At the exact same time, they were being investigated by the Southern Accrediting Board. Losing accreditation would have been a much bigger deal than NCAA sanctions, so their response to the board was the the classes were legitimate but that they had reprimanded the teachers for being too easy. Literally the responses to these 2 groups went out like 6 days apart and are 100% contradictory, and yet both sides just took UNC on their word

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The best part of the whole UNC thing is they gave separate, completely contradictory responses to the 2 bodies that investigated them. They told the NCAA that the classes were fraudulent, but also available to non student athletes, and thus not an added benefit. At the exact same time, they were being investigated by the Southern Accrediting Board. Losing accreditation would have been a much bigger deal than NCAA sanctions, so their response to the board was the the classes were legitimate but that they had reprimanded the teachers for being too easy. Literally the responses to these 2 groups went out like 6 days apart and are 100% contradictory, and yet both sides just took UNC on their word
Interesting didn’t realize that

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
They apparently did say that, with a wink and a nod, which is why the UNCs and Kentuckys knew how to generate perfect APRs from the get-go. UConn just wasn't connected and thought it should be a traditional university with academic standards. Whether it was personal from Emmert or an institutional desire to have a scapegoat so that the NCAA could grandstand before the media pretending that the standards were real, the NCAA seized its chance.
Oh I definitely think it was personal with Emmert stemming from his being let go from UConn due to financial mismanagement of Post 1999 and Y2K funds.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I like when you do that thing where you act like everyone else in an idiot.

I'm more a fan of new words like "accreditation," (post #29) which I imagine in an "Accreditation is to accreditation as mediation is to meditation" sense.

I don't know what it means but there's this sense, given the source, that it's just gotta be right, and woe be to anyone who questions it.

Reaction Score
That doesn’t sound right. They sent the same Wainstein report to both bodies. To the SACSCOC they also provided like 60 reforms as well.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Honestly after what happened to us and then what North Carolina did makes my head explode. There is no justice with the NCAA. And the basketball "experts" and announcers all act like nothing happened.
But they can’t help themselves from burying UConn for not paying a coach who broke rules, his contract, and still couldn’t beat Tulsa at basketball.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think you are pretty far out on a branch that is close to being sawed off. The NCAA isn’t a court and doesn’t have to consider jurisdiction.

ill let it go after this. but my god you people are beyond insane.

the ncaa isn’t a court... this is true.... yet....

OF COURSE THE NCAA HAS TO THINK ABOUT WHAT THEIR LEGAL JURISDICTION IS.

DO YOU THINK THE STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA WOULDN’T FILE SUIT AGAINST THEM IF THE NCAA CLAIMED THEY HAVE JURISDICTION OVER THE LEGITIMACY OF COURSES TAUGHT IN THEIR STATE UNIVERSITIES?

If the NCAA showed up in Storrs and said... YOU GUYS HAVE A PUPPET MAJOR LOL EVERYONE WHO TOOK PUPPET CLASSES IS INELIGIBLE... that the State of Connecticut would say sure organization with no legal right to make that determination - whatever you say is cool.

Seriously - get a frigging clue.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm more a fan of new words like "accreditation," (post #29) which I imagine in an "Accreditation is to accreditation as mediation is to meditation" sense.

I don't know what it means but there's this sense, given the source, that it's just gotta be right, and woe be to anyone who questions it.

omg someone who had eye surgery three times in six months spelled something wrong.

you really got me there hans.

do you want to claim the ncaa has or should have the right to determine if courses offered at state universities are legitimate too?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
omg someone who had eye surgery three times in six months spelled something wrong.

you really got me there hans.

do you want to claim the ncaa has or should have the right to determine if courses offered at state universities are legitimate too?

Don't be so touchy. I found it genuinely fun, and it was intended to piggyback on the other guy's comment about loving when you play the tough guy.

I'm mixed on the bravado, and way more moved by your medical travails than you might be imagining. But, from a modest place, you might wonder if sometimes you aren't trying to have it both ways.

You can be completely correct, and even feel exasperated that others don't get it, but at a certain point, neither the passion of your certainty nor the futile handwringing about certain parties seeming unfairly 'favored' is an appealing posture. It's kinda like me being overbearing here and now. Nobody wins. We all need hugs.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
ill let it go after this. but my god you people are beyond insane.

the ncaa isn’t a court... this is true.... yet....

OF COURSE THE NCAA HAS TO THINK ABOUT WHAT THEIR LEGAL JURISDICTION IS.

DO YOU THINK THE STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA WOULDN’T FILE SUIT AGAINST THEM IF THE NCAA CLAIMED THEY HAVE JURISDICTION OVER THE LEGITIMACY OF COURSES TAUGHT IN THEIR STATE UNIVERSITIES?

If the NCAA showed up in Storrs and said... YOU GUYS HAVE A PUPPET MAJOR LOL EVERYONE WHO TOOK PUPPET CLASSES IS INELIGIBLE... that the State of Connecticut would say sure organization with no legal right to make that determination - whatever you say is cool.

Seriously - get a frigging clue.
So your comments about jurisdiction over public or state universities weren't a mistake? We shouldn't worry about Duke because they are private?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So your comments about jurisdiction over public or state universities weren't a mistake? We shouldn't worry about Duke because they are private?

what in the world are you talking about. every private school in the country would win in court as well - i just thought youd be more able to wrap you head around the idea they could dictate academics to a state entity.

im giving you and a few others way too much credit. you are never going to move beyond i wanted this to happen so i dont want to even consider why it didnt.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
what in the world are you talking about. every private school in the country would win in court as well - i just thought youd be more able to wrap you head around the idea they could dictate academics to a state entity.

im giving you and a few others way too much credit. you are never going to move beyond i wanted this to happen so i dont want to even consider why it didnt.
Just reading what you wrote. I make no assumptions

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom