OT: Windows 8....anyone with experience? | The Boneyard

OT: Windows 8....anyone with experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
In a budget type laptop: How difficult/pain in the ass to learn?

Overall pluses and minuses?

How tech savvy does one need to be to be able to learn to use it ?

I've been looking to get one with Win 7 for someone to avoid what some seem to feel is a big learning curve, but this severely limits buying options.

Thanks for help.

Reaction Score

I've been looking to get one with Win 7 for someone to avoid what some seem to feel is a big learning curve, but this severely limits buying options.

Thanks for help.
It's Windows. Unless you're a developer or a gamer, it shouldn't matter.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I have it at work. It's really similar to Windows 7. The only difference is that the start menu that traditionally is just a menu in the bottom left of the screen is now a full screen thing with icons like you would see on a smart phone or tablet. So basically I would call it Windows 7 designed for touch screens. That's after just 2 weeks of experience with it though.

As for how tech savvy you need to be, it's very easy.

Reaction Score
It's basically Windows 7 with a big new Start screen, a couple of new menus, and a new app store. Some of the new first-party apps you can download from the app store (Mail, Xbox Music mostly) are not as good as the programs they replaced (but will hopefully be improved since they're just apps than can be trivially updated through the store). There are some gotchas that can be annoying when switching between the new "metro" full-screen apps and a regular desktop: for example, opening a PDF by default takes to into a full-screen app instead of opening in the desktop, which I found to be annoying (the fix was easy though: just install Adobe Reader).

On the up side, integration with Skydrive is nice, and you can set up the computer to login with your Microsoft account (assuming you have one), which will then enable you to take you preferences, apps, favorites, etc. to any other Windows 8 PC. Internet Explorer 10 is a nice upgrade from IE9 -- it's incredibly fast. Bootup and shutdown are faster.

One final note: it works a hell of a lot better with a touchscreen than it used to. If you are getting a laptop, consider one with a touchscreen.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
It's basically Windows 7 with a big new Start screen, a couple of new menus, and a new app store. Some of the new first-party apps you can download from the app store (Mail, Xbox Music mostly) are not as good as the programs they replaced (but will hopefully be improved since they're just apps than can be trivially updated through the store). There are some gotchas that can be annoying when switching between the new "metro" full-screen apps and a regular desktop: for example, opening a PDF by default takes to into a full-screen app instead of opening in the desktop, which I found to be annoying (the fix was easy though: just install Adobe Reader).

On the up side, integration with Skydrive is nice, and you can set up the computer to login with your Microsoft account (assuming you have one), which will then enable you to take you preferences, apps, favorites, etc. to any other Windows 8 PC. Internet Explorer 10 is a nice upgrade from IE9 -- it's incredibly fast. Bootup and shutdown are faster.

One final note: it works a hell of a lot better with a touchscreen than it used to. If you are getting a laptop, consider one with a touchscreen.
Pretty good summary. The PDF thing is similar to other things that default to full screen apps. This takes some getting used to but you can also install programs instead of using apps like he said. So if you aren't tech savvy and don't have a touch screen you probably want to go that route.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Thank you for the information. It sounds like it it not that big of an adjustment and that there are ways to work around annoyances.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
If it's for someone frustrated with being an early adopter Win 7 is the way to go.

I have it Win8 on a dual boot and go back to Win 7 now and then when I simply get frustrated with something half-baked on Win 8. Even after a year its still a bit awkward for some power user tasks. I won't go back but hesitate to tell anyone to be an early adopter unless they need to be.

Reaction Score

Thanks for help.

WINDOWS 8: A ‘CHRISTMAS GIFT FOR SOMEONE YOU HATE’ - Boy Genius Reports

http://bgr.com/2012/12/06/windows-8-criticism-android-ios/

“Suppose that you are an expert user of Windows NT/XP/Vista/7, an expert user of an iPad, and an expert user of an Android phone… you will have no idea how to use Windows 8,” Greenspun wrote.

This article I read recently & found helpful may steer you towards Win 7...

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I am bringing my newish laptop to Best Buy for a free upgrade to Windows 8. Unfortunately I may have to upgrade tthe old desktop to Windows 8 , too. A nuisance expense I don't want. Right now with the laptop with Windows 7 and the desktop with Vista we can't be online at the same time.

Reaction Score
I am bringing my newish laptop to Best Buy for a free upgrade to Windows 8. Unfortunately I may have to upgrade tthe old desktop to Windows 8 , too. A nuisance expense I don't want. Right now with the laptop with Windows 7 and the desktop with Vista we can't be online at the same time.
?? can't be on-line at the same time?? Don't you have a router and/or switch? You'll also need to verify you have hardware that is compatible with Windows 8. They didn't drag drivers for all old stuff to it.

Reaction Score
I work at Best Buy and use it every day. It's really not that bad after a day or two. You just have to know where to get all of your options, and they make it simple by putting them in the very corners of your screen. Everything else works the same as previous windows systems: program files, desktop, shortcuts and others. If it takes you a while to figure out the system, just know that the windows button on the bottom left of your keyboard brings you back to your start menu.

Reaction Score
Start menu button for win8: Linky

This should help for the transition (there are other similar addons). As for me waiting for the 2nd edition or win9. I'm just not compelled to upgrade.

Reaction Score
Pretty good summary. The PDF thing is similar to other things that default to full screen apps. This takes some getting used to but you can also install programs instead of using apps like he said. So if you aren't tech savvy and don't have a touch screen you probably want to go that route.
I got a new laptop with Windows 8 and without a touch screen. I immediately had it converted to Windows 7 to save myself a lot of aggravation. With a touch screen, I may have liked it but it was a pain without one.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
?? can't be on-line at the same time?? Don't you have a router and/or switch? You'll also need to verify you have hardware that is compatible with Windows 8. They didn't drag drivers for all old stuff to it.

I do have a router. Apparently each computer needs to be operating on the same OS, I guess. Best Buy told me to check my receipt and the free upgrade is done through Microsoft.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I do have a router. Apparently each computer needs to be operating on the same OS, I guess. Best Buy told me to check my receipt and the free upgrade is done through Microsoft.
Routers know nothing about operating system. They know wireless a/b/g/n. That's all. I have a sprinkler controller connected to my wifi. I can absolutely tell you it ain't running windows. And this computer is. Either you aren't doing it right or someone is telling you bad info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom