OT: Windows 10 Upgrade? | The Boneyard

OT: Windows 10 Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone pulled the trigger? The icon in my task bar keeps calling my name. I'm just scared to do it, because I lost a lot of software compatibility when I went from 7 to 8. However my nature has always been to through caution to the wind.

For those that have, has the upgrade met or exceeded expectations? Likes/dislikes?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I did it. It's better than 8. No problems yet.

Reaction Score
You should have no problem. Back up everything to One Drive just in case.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I personally use a Mac at home and the software that runs my office is not yet compatible with Windows 7, so I hadn't had a chance to see it until this week.

I bought my daughter an HP Stream 360 last week - it's an inexpensive touch computer with a flip-around screen so you can use it as something of a tablet. (It's a raging bargain compared to a Chromebook - $250-ish, touchscreen, year of Office and doesn't feel like complete crap.)

We upgraded that to Windows 10 and as someone who intensely disliked Windows 8, my initial reactions to it are extremely positive.

Reaction Score
Wait for the new cheaper LED (vs capacitance) touch screens at year end - '16. The price will drive adoption.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
You have until next summer to take the upgrade for free. If you don't have a burning desire, wait until the spring to let the bugs come to the surface.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I upgraded both my personal and work laptop. If you're on Windows 8, it's a no brainer. If you're on Windows 7, I agree, wait til spring when bugs are worked out (I have reboot my work lap at least every other day because something stops working). Overall, really happy with it other than the reboots. There's definitely a learning curve, but you'll have to do it sometime, so usually the sooner the better. Once you start getting used to and customizing to your likes it's like the best of Windows 7 and Windows 8 combined with almost none of the downside.

I keep putting off a rebuild of my desktop at home but when I do actually think the pieces are where I want them, I'll be loading Winderz 10 for sure.

Reaction Score
I upgraded both my personal and work laptop. If you're on Windows 8, it's a no brainer. If you're on Windows 7, I agree, wait til spring when bugs are worked out (I have reboot my work lap at least every other day because something stops working). Overall, really happy with it other than the reboots. There's definitely a learning curve, but you'll have to do it sometime, so usually the sooner the better. Once you start getting used to and customizing to your likes it's like the best of Windows 7 and Windows 8 combined with almost none of the downside.

I keep putting off a rebuild of my desktop at home but when I do actually think the pieces are where I want them, I'll be loading Winderz 10 for sure.
Real windows 8, or 8.1? I have 7 at work, and 8.1 at home and just don't see much difference in basic functionality. Is 10 really that much better?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Real windows 8, or 8.1? I have 7 at work, and 8.1 at home and just don't see much difference in basic functionality. Is 10 really that much better?
Both - I had 8 and the 8.1 upgrade. The only thing that made it tolerable was Start8. Windows 10 fixes everything still wrong with 8.1.

Reaction Score
Don't like it and once you have it I'm told you can't go back to Win 7. Part of the problem may be I'm too old and lazy to take the time to educate myself.

Reaction Score
Don't like it and once you have it I'm told you can't go back to Win 7. Part of the problem may be I'm too old and lazy to take the time to educate myself.
I did it and lost my favorite solitaire game. However, it was easy to go back to windows 7 and that is where I am now. I might change over down the road.

Reaction Score
OK I bit the bullet. One thing I noticed is that if you don't customize installation (beginning) Microsoft will continually call home. This is the part where it asks do you want to express install.

With customization you can control what info is sent to Microsoft (errors, software experiences, websites visited, etc..). However I'm not sure by checking 'no' it still won't send/communicate. After all they built and own the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom