OT- Wiltjer (UK) *might* Transfer, Squid Weighs In | The Boneyard

OT- Wiltjer (UK) *might* Transfer, Squid Weighs In

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bizarre.

"Here's what we know: Yes, Kentucky forward Kyle Wiltjer is considering a transfer. No, he's not totally sure if he's going to actually transfer. Yes, he announced the possibility in an open letter to fans on UK's website Monday evening. No, he did not definitively announce his transfer. Yes, coach John Calipari has already weighed in with his support on his personal home page. No, this is not an elaborate joke. Yes, you read that headline correctly.

Confused yet? Join the club."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/85777/kyle-wiltjer-might-leave-uk-maybe

Reaction Score
I was surprised when he announced he was coming back right after the season, doesn't really seem to make much sense to stay when it seems pretty obvious that Cal doesn't really like him as a player because of his poor D & rebounding and lack of athleticism/strength. Randle's gonna start and Poythress is really a college PF but will play SF and slide over when needed, Wiltjer would be 3rd in line behind them and possibly 4th behind Lee. Unless he really loves UK why stay for that?

Reaction Score
I'm surprised at everything about that program and Calipari.......amazed kids like Perkins want to wait for a UK offer? Why if he liked you he would've recruited you and if he takes you late it's because he didn't get who he wants......so many kids who actually believe this guy makes them better it's unbelievable.......how can they, their coaches, their parents all be that dumb? He's scum!

Reaction Score
how can they, their coaches, their parents all be that dumb? He's scum!

Kids want to play for this guy, it's pretty obvious by now. Maybe the people who continue to be shocked every time a kid expresses an interest in UK are the dumb ones?

U

UCONNfan1

I'm surprised at everything about that program and Calipari.......amazed kids like Perkins want to wait for a UK offer? Why if he liked you he would've recruited you and if he takes you late it's because he didn't get who he wants......so many kids who actually believe this guy makes them better it's unbelievable.......how can they, their coaches, their parents all be that dumb? He's scum!
Yet again find myself in total agreement. Not only is the guy scum, but he's one of the most unlikable guys as well, altho that's probably my personal prejudice poking its head out.

And I continue to be mystified why kids would want to go there. Well, other than the obvious to win NC's, but maybe it's the allure of that combined with cakewalk and fabricated classes, the $ $, and the fact that rules don't seem to apply to Squidoo that brings the kids in and causes them to announce "I will wait to see if I get a Kentucky offer before I decide anything".

Seriously? I will wait to see if Kate Beckinsale will shine my knob before deciding whether to go out with my wife tonite. That would make me a pretty huge maroon. And please don't tell the Mrs. I said that...

Reaction Score
Kids want to play for this guy, it's pretty obvious by now. Maybe the people who continue to be shocked every time a kid expresses an interest in UK are the dumb ones?

Ever hear of a personality?....if you need directions I can let you borrow my GPS......wtf?:oops:

Reaction Score
It's the money and other stuff they like better. One-and-done with no college level classes... priceless.

Reaction Score
Guy is very charismatic. I can't stand him; never have liked him. Got a chance to be in the room with him right after he took the uk job. He worked the room like an evangalist. I left there still realizing what he is; but getting why people fall for his BS
Lot of Clinton in him

Reaction Score
Guy is very charismatic. I can't stand him; never have liked him. Got a chance to be in the room with him right after he took the uk job. He worked the room like an evangalist. I left there still realizing what he is; but getting why people fall for his BS
Lot of Clinton in him

Guess it's harder for the Husky fans to understand because we heard the BS when he was a UMass coach......we knew what the world was dealing with as he blamed everything on JC and Chaney and everyone else after he told every kid Louie C had cancer!!..............pricless is right uc68......

Reaction Score

I personally cannot stand the guy, however:

-His history in getting kids drafted in the lottery is undeniable. He's had, I think, seven players drafted in the lottery in the four years that he's been there. Sure, you can play the "anybody could have gotten John Wall drafted..." card if you wish, but the point is Calipari is a proven commodity in the world of college basketball, and somebody kids trust as a developer of talent.

-Regardless of how you pan out as a player, the exposure you receive at UK is in all likelihood going to dwarf what you can receive at almost any other school. They have played deep into March in three of the four years he's been there, they're basically on national TV every week, and they are a gigantic brand people who aren't necessarily die-hard college basketball fans will tune in to see. They have a reputation as an NBA factory, now - If I'm strictly an NBA fan and am looking for a college game to watch, I'm going to watch the team with the most talent, which, in recent years, has been Kentucky.

-They have a rabid fan base. Look, do you want to play in front of 8,000 people in the XL Center, or do you want to play in front of a sell out at Rupp every night? Additionally, UK is one of the few teams in the country who will sell out on the road practically every game they play. UConn doesn't quite have that drawing power.

-UK has some of the nicest facilities in the country, there are plenty of household names in John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Anthony Davis, and Nerlens Noel among others for 18-year-old kids to aspire to, and the ineptitude of their football program coupled with their insane fan base ensures you'll be treated like a rock star on campus.

I don't like it, you don't like it, a lot of people don't like it. But it's not difficult to understand why kids want to play there.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I'm not. At all.

Reaction Score
Calamari is just a Used Car Salesman... he'll say what ever you want to hear, just to make a sale... Some players buy in, others do not. It's those who want to go directly to the NBA after 1 year who see this... Players like Wiltjer will never be featured because there is always another replacement coming in next year. Wiltjer actually had a decent year last year, but once again Calamari replaced him by bringing in 3 PFs (Randle, Lee & Willis), plus another Center in D. Johnson... all players that will decrease Wiltjer's time on the court. Reality in KenSucky... One & Done U.

Reaction Score
Ever hear of a personality?....if you need directions I can let you borrow my GPS......wtf?:oops:

Driving directions to a personality? How would a GPS help? If that's supposed to be an insult at least try to make sense. (Incidentally, given that you melt down as soon as someone disagrees with you and usually end up calling them a "dope," you probably need to lighten up a bit.)

I don't know why your panties are twisted over what I said. Every time a kid expresses an interest in UK, you sit there slack-jawed and dumbfounded that anyone would want to play for Cal. All I'm saying is how many great classes does he have to lock up before you come to terms with the fact that kids want to go to UK to play for Calipari? I mean, it seems like you honestly believed that the kids who go there are somehow fooled into doing so. It's strange.

Anyway, send me that GPS whenever.

Reaction Score
Calamari is just a Used Car Salesman... he'll say what ever you want to hear, just to make a sale... Some players buy in, others do not. It's those who want to go directly to the NBA after 1 year who see this... Players like Wiltjer will never be featured because there is always another replacement coming in next year. Wiltjer actually had a decent year last year, but once again Calamari replaced him by bringing in 3 PFs (Randle, Lee & Willis), plus another Center in D. Johnson... all players that will decrease Wiltjer's time on the court. Reality in KenSucky... One & Done U.

Explain how any of this is any different than any other school. Do you really think that other schools stop recruiting a position when they have someone to play that position? A kid like Wiltjer "will never be featured" because he's not as good as the kids coming in this year. It's not that complicated. You don't reserve time on the court for 4 years when you commit.

Reaction Score
Yet again find myself in total agreement. Not only is the guy scum, but he's one of the most unlikable guys as well, altho that's probably my personal prejudice poking its head out.

And I continue to be mystified why kids would want to go there. Well, other than the obvious to win NC's, but maybe it's the allure of that combined with cakewalk and fabricated classes, the $ $, and the fact that rules don't seem to apply to Squidoo that brings the kids in and causes them to announce "I will wait to see if I get a Kentucky offer before I decide anything".

Seriously? I will wait to see if Kate Beckinsale will shine my knob before deciding whether to go out with my wife tonite. That would make me a pretty huge maroon. And please don't tell the Mrs. I said that...
He puts guys in the league, it's that simple. What don't you see?

Reaction Score
Explain how any of this is any different than any other school. Do you really think that other schools stop recruiting a position when they have someone to play that position? A kid like Wiltjer "will never be featured" because he's not as good as the kids coming in this year. It's not that complicated. You don't reserve time on the court for 4 years when you commit.

Exactly, Calamari is too impatient to develop existing players. Everyone knows he runs them off after one season. He doesn't care about existing players. That's what Wiltjer is noticing. It's one thing to bring in another highly rated player but to bring in 4 players to take time away from Wiltjer, do you not think Wiltjer sees the writing on the wall? Where is the loyalty with Calamari? Calamari really doesn't care about these kids... otherwise, 1/2 of his kids would not have been run off to the NBA before they were ready... See B.Knight, J.Teague, D.Orton, D.Lamb, T.Jones, A. Goodwin...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He puts guys in the league, it's that simple. What don't you see?

Hmm. I'd say he lets guys play. He's an AAU coach basically, and high school kids, especially star players, like that a whole lot, as they get to showcase. Plus, I'm sure its an unspoken 'known' that they don't have to do in terms of school at UK. Win Win for the kids.

For the most part, the kids put themselves in the league.

(nb: I think Cal is a pretty damn good basketball coach. Just a scumbag through and through)

pj

Reaction Score
I don't think kids necessarily want to play for Calipari, but they want to play with the other kids who are going to Kentucky. Talent attracts talent. If the stars go to Kentucky, it's easy to think that if you go to Kentucky, you'll be a star. Kentucky has set itself apart a bit the last few years. ... Kids who are drawn to a coach will go to a place like UConn to play for KO. Kids who want to be on a big stage associating with big name players will be drawn to Kentucky, whether they like Calipari or not.

Reaction Score
See B.Knight, J.Teague, D.Orton, D.Lamb, T.Jones, A. Goodwin...

You mean all the guys he made instant millionaires?

Reaction Score
Wow you guys are also in awe of his "ability" to get them to the next level.........do I need to remind you guys these names/kids are the same kids who could've gone to Moorehead State and been drafted exactly where they were after their one and done adventure at UK?

No denying his ability? C'mon, they aren't getting better they just need to stop somewhere before they're old enough to do what they have strived for! seanmc94..........has it right.

Orton was going somewhere for 1 year then getting out of dodge........unfortunately for him his stop was at UK where they have tons of players and his skills didn't get a bit better........partially on him but let's point a finger at Calipari and his buddy Orlando too huh.........there's quite a few more. And Wiltjer can shoot the out of the ball for his size and could play and start for many of the top programs and probably still should at UK because he will be better than these "heralded" frosh......but Calipari made a deal with the devil to get these frosh there so they have to play.......it's a joke!

Reaction Score
See B.Knight, J.Teague, D.Orton, D.Lamb, T.Jones, A. Goodwin...

You mean all the guys he made instant millionaires?

Completely missed my point... So you're saying it's about the money, rather than being successful NBA players?
B.Knight - Detroit is already looking to replace him at PG.
M.Teague - barely played & when he did it was because N.Robinson Or K.Hinrich were out.
D.Orton - didn't have his rookie option picked up in Orlando and won't be on a roster next season. Out of the league in 3 years.
T.Jones - barely played and spent more time in the D-League.
D.Lamb - barely played. Lamb's contract is not quaranteed next year & Orlando is most likely drafting a 2G tonight.
A.Goodwin - is most likely a 2nd round pick tonight, but he left because the Harrison twins were coming & Goodwin knew they would time away from him.

Reaction Score
Completely missed my point... So you're saying it's about the money, rather than being successful NBA players?
B.Knight - Detroit is already looking to replace him at PG.
M.Teague - barely played & when he did it was because N.Robinson Or K.Hinrich were out.
D.Orton - didn't have his rookie option picked up in Orlando and won't be on a roster next season. Out of the league in 3 years.
T.Jones - barely played and spent more time in the D-League.
D.Lamb - barely played. Lamb's contract is not quaranteed next year & Orlando is most likely drafting a 2G tonight.
A.Goodwin - is most likely a 2nd round pick tonight, but he left because the Harrison twins were coming & Goodwin knew they would time away from him.

Yep good call Bear, forced Goodwin out for sure - this is who he is.........Goodwin needed to stay another year or 2, probably would've transferred to play college ball but didn't want to sit out. His next best option is to leave too early and hope someone has the patience.........think Calipari really gives a duckk, he has the Harrison Twins!! Go all the way back to Cousins and Wall not even listening to him in the huddle while in a tourney game........he gets the best players and coaches them to win games so he can make money, not so he can make them better and prepare them for the next level......he could give a rats a** about them when they leave!

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I gotta hand it to Calipari, in his case, don't hate the playa, hate the game. His pure salesmanship matched with Kentucky's obsession results in dominance. He's in a conference that doesn't give a hoot about educating its athletes, so you can drop any hope of them being investigated. He has an army of "academic support staff" to make sure all the paperwork is filed according to the million page NCAA rulebook. He's found the king of all loopholes and he's wisely exploiting it - the fact that a player only needs to complete 9 credit hours (to be eligible for the spring part of the year) and if that player then moves on to the NBA the next season he never counts against your APR score. If you turn over your whole team every year, academics simply doesn't matter. And you only need a C+ in those 3 classes...

Reaction Score
Interesting, I believe Kyle Wiltjer “would have been” the first Calamari recruited player at KenSucky to stay more than 2 years from his first 4 recruiting classes.

2013 – 2014 Class
Aaron Harrison – Freshman – Expected to be One & Done
Andrew Harrison – Freshman – Expected to be One & Done
Julius Randle – Freshman – Expected to be One & Done
Dakari Johnson – Freshman – May be One & Done
Marcus Lee – Freshman – May be One & Done (Most likely not)
James Young – Freshman – May be One & Done (Most likely not)
Derek Willis – Freshman – Expected to be 4 Year Role Player
Dominique Hawkins – Freshman - Expected to be 4 Year Role Player
8 incoming players. 6 High School All Americans

2012-2013 Class
Nerlens Noel – 1 Year – Departed for NBA
Archie Goodwin – 1 Year – Departed for NBA
Willie Cauley-Stein – 2 Years - Returning
Alex Poythress – 2 Years - Returning
Ryan Harrow – 2 Years total - 1 Year (playing), 1 Year (transfer sat out) – Departed via another transfer
Julius Mays – 1 Year – Departing – Used up eligibility (was a Senior Transfer)
2 of 6 players are returning.

2011 – 2012 Class
Anthony Davis – 1 Year – Departed for the NBA
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist – 1 Year – Departed for the NBA
Marques Teague – 1 Year – Departed for the NBA
Kyle Wiltjer – 2 Years – Most likely transferring
0 players remain.

2010 – 2011 Class
Brandon Knight – 1 Year – Departed for the NBA
Terrence Jones – 2 Years – Departed for the NBA
Doron Lamb – 2 Years – Departed for the NBA
Stacey Poole – 1 Year – Transferred
0 players remain.

2009-2010 Class
John Wall – 1 Year – Departed for the NBA
DeMarcus Cousins – 1 Year – Departed for the NBA
Eric Bledsoe – 1 Year – Departed for the NBA
Daniel Orton – 1 Year – Departed for the NBA
Would have graduated this spring, but left 3 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom