OT: will someone here please explain why we must be exposed | The Boneyard

OT: will someone here please explain why we must be exposed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
every evening to an hour or so of beach volleyball? i really don't get it. is it simply the obvious, or am i just missing something ?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I actually love the game - even though I blew out my ACL playing it. In fact I prefer it to watching a lot of the other sports, including the gymnastics. (Sorry but a 'sport' where you are old at age 16 and retired before age 20 has something wrong with it!)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Going to guess people enjoy seeing this:

Kerri%20Walsh%20and%20Misty%20May-Treanor-IOS-007114.jpg

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Its an exciting game. Now the question is still out to boontonbomber...who is forcing you to watch the game. That person is obiously a real jerk.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Going to guess people enjoy seeing this:

Kerri%20Walsh%20and%20Misty%20May-Treanor-IOS-007114.jpg

Yes, that is the most interesting pattern of black tape I have ever seen.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That's KT Tape - I am sure they're paying her to wear the stuff. She wrapped herself up with it even worse last time around.

Beach volleyball is NBC's way of keeping the male audience from changing the channel until the female audience takes the remote control away from them when gymnastics starts. The wedgies lull us into complacency and before we know it, some 12-year old is on a balance beam and we're stuck watching - it's genius.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Some people like watching Team Handball, which I loathe. Others never tire of watching individuals swim back and forth, back and forth. Still others are thrilled by the spectacle of horses jumping over assorted hurdles. To each his/her own.

Speaking for myself, I especially like watching Misty and Kerri. I started using that old quote (below, by Rudy Tomjanovich) about "the heart of a champion" when Diana was still at UConn, since she personified the intent of the quote.

I'm glad I kept it as my signature line because these two ladies indeed have hearts of champions.

So I'll watch them go (again!) for the gold. The OP is free to switch to another event or another channel.

Go Misty! Go Kerri! GO USA!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It's 2:04 a.m., and I just watched the replay of the match point of Kerri/Misty vs. the Chinese. Amazingly, within seconds of the match being won by the Americans, the PBP announcer said, "Never underestimate the heart of a champion!"

Honest.

I couldn't make this up. Surely others heard it. Too bad the OP missed it.

Reaction Score
Who's forcing you to watch it?
i should not have implied that i actually watch it. but there is exposure( excuse the use of that term) when i check back to see if it's over.

Reaction Score
The only event I was disappointed in was ping pong... the camera angle made it look like they were playing on a 4 ft table. A side view makes it more exciting when you can see how far back they can play from..

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Personally I prefer the real volleyball. Much more exciting. I mean you can only do so much with 2 people. And you can't really jump that high in sand. Makes for a much slower game. But I suppose if one wants to watch skinny women in bikini's then sure why not? Personally I prefer more curves in the bikini's I watch (when my wife let's me :cool:) . But it's still a sport, so of course I have watched it.

Other than just catering to a male audience, I see no reason to wear the bikinis as a uniform. I suppose they can if they want, it just seems a little degrading???

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Beach VB is an exciting game, men or women, especially in person. The Golden Girls have a nice story. I was among the very loud crowd yesterday. Two great come-from-behind wins against a very good Chinese team.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Who's gonna win, 3rdbass?

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
i should not have implied that i actually watch it. but there is exposure( excuse the use of that term) when i check back to see if it's over.

If you don't actually watch it, then you are really missing out. I play indoor volleyball and I personally prefer indoor over beach. However, at its highest level, beach volleyball is really exciting. Any of the semi-final matches produced high-quality play and plenty of drama. Beach volleyball has a lot more rallies and when the ball is hit as hard as it is, it is really exciting to see the rallies go back and forth.

Honestly, if you haven't really given it a shot, the gold medal match might be a good one to pay attention to. Either way, the US gets another gold, but I want Misty and Kerri to go out with a bang!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I
Personally I prefer the real volleyball. Much more exciting. I mean you can only do so much with 2 people. And you can't really jump that high in sand. Makes for a much slower game. But I suppose if one wants to watch skinny women in bikini's then sure why not? Personally I prefer more curves in the bikini's I watch (when my wife let's me :cool:) . But it's still a sport, so of course I have watched it.

Other than just catering to a male audience, I see no reason to wear the bikinis as a uniform. I suppose they can if they want, it just seems a little degrading???
I actually think both men and women prefer playing in small suits - with all the diving on the sand, the less clothing to get filled with sweat and sand the better. (Yes it probably doesn't hurt viewership, but when playing for money/gold medals, you can bet they wear whatever they think gives them an edge!)

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I

I actually think both men and women prefer playing in small suits - with all the diving on the sand, the less clothing to get filled with sweat and sand the better. (Yes it probably doesn't hurt viewership, but when playing for money/gold medals, you can bet they wear whatever they think gives them an edge!)

I kinda thought the swimwear was somehow related to the tradition of volleyball on the beach. Go figure...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I kinda thought the swimwear was somehow related to the tradition of volleyball on the beach. Go figure...
Just watched the BRA/CHI match and I certainly appreciated the Brazilian team for labeling their tops - otherwise I might have been confused!

Reaction Score
Who's forcing you to watch it?

Of course, it's not a question of anyone being forced to watch it, but rather
a disappointment that limited prime time is being spent on beach volleyball
rather than something else the viewer might wish to see.

I, for one, was a little miffed at not being able to see at least the last few
laps of the men's 10K when an american, amid all those Ethiopians and
Kenyans, actually won a silver medal.

Reaction Score
Prime time broadcast is geared to the more well known/popular sports, and especially those where the USA athletes are favored - or more appropriately won or was a compelling loser. I noticed that in the gymnastic event finals. If the USA athletes did not perform well or medal (which of course by primetime they know exactly what the results were), it was in the last two hours of the extended primetime broadcast and was heavily abbreviated. I don't think I saw any of the men's individual gymnastic event finals. The main NBC network, being covered by basic cable as well as over-the-air (digital converter, bunny ears, etc.) gets the glamour sports. The sub-networks are where the other less glamorous sports are broadcast.

Yeah, it stinks if you don't have expanded basic cable to catch the coverage on CNBC, MSNBC, and the other step-networks. But ratings and advertising dollars drive the double-decker bus during the prime time hours on the mother ship network. Beach volleyball is a popular Olympic sport - especially Misty and Kerri. They will always get the most and best exposure.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Just watched the BRA/CHI match and I certainly appreciated the Brazilian team for labeling their tops - otherwise I might have been confused!
But I was confused as to why they kept labeling their cap as a bra, too.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Of course, it's not a question of anyone being forced to watch it, but rather
a disappointment that limited prime time is being spent on beach volleyball
rather than something else the viewer might wish to see.

I, for one, was a little miffed at not being able to see at least the last few
laps of the men's 10K when an american, amid all those Ethiopians and
Kenyans, actually won a silver medal.
Hmmm. I saw the entire race. Now I wonder what channel I saw it on. The last few laps, and especially the finishing sprint, were exciting indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom