OT: will someone here please explain why we must be exposed | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: will someone here please explain why we must be exposed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Of course, it's not a question of anyone being forced to watch it, but rather
a disappointment that limited prime time is being spent on beach volleyball
rather than something else the viewer might wish to see.

I, for one, was a little miffed at not being able to see at least the last few
laps of the men's 10K when an american, amid all those Ethiopians and
Kenyans, actually won a silver medal.

if you're not able to watch the coverage on nbcsp or msnbc, which does include sports like archery, team handball, table tennis and badminton, then, yes, it is a shame that prime time is so into beach volleyball , women's gymnastics and swimming.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I suspect that you all are anti-wedgie.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Gilbert & Sullivan. Ruth & Gehrig. Simon & Garfunkel. Holmes & Watson. Abbott & Costello. Tracy & Hepburn. Spahn & Sain. Many names in all fields of human endeavor demand that they be paired with another.

Add Misty and Kerri to the list.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The short answer, of course, is that NBC airs beach volleyball because people want to see it. NBC's prime time programming is designed to capture as much of the market as possible, an they've learned that the gymnastics-women's beach volleyball package appeals to a good cross section of demographics.

Reaction Score
Don't know how ya don't get this yet but you can watch any event in its entirety at NBC sports web site. Avoid what you don't want to see and just watch what you want and quit bitching. Customize your Olympic experience! I have an LG 60 inch w/ wireless internet and watch whatever I want whenever I want in 1080p hi def w/surround sound. At work I watch on my wireless xfinity on my laptop whatever I want everyday!!!

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
NBC runs a business, not a public service...yet, one can watch whatever if they are willing to pay for it(cable, wireless, etc). Great country we have, but we all have to cover the piper …when did we begin to think otherwise? We are not entitled to watch and view whatever pleases us.

Sorry for the mini rant.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I watched the volleyball final yesterday along with millions of of others. There were 15,000 screaming fans in the stands to watch USA Teams 1 & 2 in a win win situation.

My guess is that there was a lot more interest in that volleyball game than there was in a 10K run. More athleticism, more emotion, and simply a better story.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'm sorry but there was absolutely nothing in Lauren's game that conveyed she needed to play more minutes, especially not meaningful ones. There are only 200 minutes a game to dole out, and I'd be far more interested in the development of players like Kiah and Banks, who have way higher ceilings, than I would be getting Lauren more time.

She's good enough to play meaningful minutes on a lesser team. She's not good enough to do so on a team that has been to five straight Final Fours and is a near mortal lock for six in a row. I bear her no ill will whatsoever and hope she enjoys the end of her collegiate career, but that's the reality of the matter.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
551082_3620604888037_529547779_n.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Gilbert & Sullivan. Ruth & Gehrig. Simon & Garfunkel. Holmes & Watson. Abbott & Costello. Tracy & Hepburn. Spahn & Sain. Many names in all fields of human endeavor demand that they be paired with another.

Add Misty and Kerri to the list.
LOL. Good one Kibs. :D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I watched the volleyball final yesterday along with millions of of others. There were 15,000 screaming fans in the stands to watch USA Teams 1 & 2 in a win win situation.

My guess is that there was a lot more interest in that volleyball game than there was in a 10K run. More athleticism, more emotion, and simply a better story.
Probably was. But there was not more athleticism. Emotion and better story? Eh depends on the viewer.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
OK, Lets review the bidding. Beach volleyball players run and jump and serve and dig. They block shots and stuff their opponents with guided missile spikes. The distance runner - well he runs, slowly for most of the way. They play a 3 set match of near constant motion and excitement while the distance runner - well he runs.

And this year we got to share in the drama and emotion of two American legends as they quite likely played in their last Olympic meet.

The distance runner is still running and if memory serves there may actually be some excitement over the last 50 meters - sometimes. Somebody at the finish line might actually burst into a cheer. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom