OT: Why do people consider South Carolina a tourney team? | The Boneyard

OT: Why do people consider South Carolina a tourney team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They have the RPI (37 before the loss), but their SOS is 168, their best win is Texas A&M, they have only 3 Top 50 wins, and they have 3 sub-100 losses...one sub-200.

Their best OOC win is Tulsa.

Despite the 23 wins, this team should not be in.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
They're a P5 team who got off to a hot start. I can't think of any other reason.

Reaction Score
In all fairness, somehow we are still being referred to as a tournament team. Including repeatedly by the announcers while getting blown off the floor and down by 25.

It's a bad year for college hoops.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
A loss is a loss the committee isn't taking margin of victory/defeat into account. Most bracketologists expected a loss here but the margin for error is now razor thin. Optimistically beating UCF and Cinci is enough but who knows, we'll see how the team responds Sunday.

Reaction Score
In all fairness, somehow we are still being referred to as a tournament team. Including repeatedly by the announcers while getting blown off the floor and down by 25.

It's a bad year for college hoops.
Compare resumes. Despite this humiliation, we have a much better one.

Reaction Score
A loss is a loss the committee isn't taking margin of victory/defeat into account. Most bracketologists expected a loss here but the margin for error is now razor thin. Optimistically beating UCF and Cinci is enough but who knows, we'll see how the team responds Sunday.
Stop being rationale and looking at things objectively.

Reaction Score
You are right they would probably have 8 or 9. They lost to 6 teams in the SEC who are not even in consideration for the tournament.

So they would have more losses in the mighty AAC than they currently have in the SEC? I can't tell if you're being serious or just clueless.

Reaction Score
You are right they would probably have 8 or 9. They lost to 6 teams in the SEC who are not even in consideration for the tournament.
They have 7 losses in the SEC despite only playing Kentucky and A&M once each.

Their advanced metrics (KenPom) are worse than SMU, Cincy, UConn, Tulsa, and Houston, and they just lost, at home, to a Georgia team lower in the RPI than all Top 6 AAC teams. Hell, they lost to a Mizzou team worse than Memphis, and in the general ballpark of East Carolina (barely better KenPom, worse RPI).

So they'd have fewer losses than UConn because it fits a narrative, I guess.

Reaction Score
So they would have more losses in the mighty AAC than they currently have in the SEC? I can't tell if you're being serious or just clueless.
Do you even look at who they've played, who they've beaten, and who've they've lost to?

You're talking about a team whose best OOC win was Hofstra. Their second best was Clemson.

They'd be a middle of the pack AAC team, and are only where they are in the (crappy, to be clear...although not AAC bad not as far apart as you think) SEC because they played the 3 best SEC teams once each: H-Kentucky (L), H-Vandy (W), H-A&M (L).

Reaction Score
See Andrew's post above, some of us actually look at numbers and/or the team, and not make generalizations with no basis other to fit ones own clueless narrative. South Carolina's SOS is 162, I could go on and on, but that won't help someone like you

Reaction Score
See Andrew's post above, some of us actually look at numbers and/or the team, and not make generalizations with no basis other to fit ones own clueless narrative. South Carolina's SOS is 162, I could go on and on, but that won't help someone like you
Just an add-on: South Carolina was actually swept by Georgia, who has a worse RPI than all Top 6 AAC teams, and worse advanced metrics than all but Temple (although they're close).

Reaction Score
Just an add-on: South Carolina was actually swept by Georgia, who has a worse RPI than all Top 6 AAC teams, and worse advanced metrics than all but Temple (although they're close).
But but but they play in the SEC they have to be better than us and all other AAC teams!!!

Reaction Score
Their numbers suck because they played a weak OOC. The fact that they have won conference road games at Texas AM, Ole Miss and Vandy at home tells me they would be just fine in the AAC. Our big conference wins are Tulsa and SMU at home. That's it. And I never said they would dominate the league but to assume they would have 8-9 losses in the American as Jerry said is a ridiculous assumption.

Reaction Score
Their numbers suck because they played a weak OOC. The fact that they have won conference road games at Texas AM, Ole Miss and Vandy at home tells me they would be just fine in the AAC. Our big conference wins are Tulsa and SMU at home. That's it. And I never said they would dominate the league but to assume they would have 8-9 losses in the American as Jerry said is a ridiculous assumption.
SMU is better than any team you listed South Carolina beating. If you consider beating Ole Miss, 85th Kenpom team a good win, what do you think about beating Houston the 50th ranked Kenpom team on the road? Oh yea Houston is in the AAC so they have to suck according to you.

My answer of 8-9 losses was tongue and check to your ridiculous unsupported claim they would not lose 6 games in the AAC.

Oh and their Kenpom numbers do not suck because of their OOC schedule, they suck because they are not a good team.

Reaction Score
It's good we can disagree it's a message board. Just know that Joe Lunardi agrees with me and he gets paid to have an opinion on this stuff.
Can you link the article saying South Carolina would not have 7 losses in the AAC? Thanks.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's all good we can disagree it's a message board. Just know that Joe Lunardi agrees with me and he gets paid to have an opinion on this stuff.

I'm just giving you a hard time man. You're not a bad dude or anything. How Lunardi got his job is beyond me. I feel like a quarter of the guys on here could do a better job. He's not bad, but nothing special in my eyes.

FWIW, the SEC has been a dumpster fire in recent memory, so I don't think too much of most teams that play in that league in general. On a year in year out basis, it's pretty much UK.

Reaction Score
SMU is better than any team you listed South Carolina beating. If you consider beating Ole Miss, 85th Kenpom team a good win, what do you think about beating Houston the 50th ranked Kenpom team on the road? Oh yea Houston is in the AAC so they have to suck according to you.

My answer of 8-9 losses was tongue and check to your ridiculous unsupported claim they would not lose 6 games in the AAC.

Oh and their Kenpom numbers do not suck because of their OOC schedule, they suck because they are not a good team.
If they played UConn's schedule in conference (x2 SMU, x2 Houston, x2 Temple, x2 Cincy, x2 Tulsa), I think they have more losses. They lost to teams worse than Memphis and equivalent to East Carolina.

When you add in the OOC, they'd probably be closer to .500. I mean, to repeat, their best OOC wins are Hofstra and Clemson.

Reaction Score
Can you link the article saying South Carolina would not have 7 losses in the AAC? Thanks.

Link the article where they would have more wins. You said they would have 8-9 losses in the AAC. Back it up! Dope. Just stop its pathetic on your part

Reaction Score
Link the article where they would have more wins. You said they would have 8-9 losses in the AAC. Back it up! Dope. Just stop its pathetic on your part

Impressive lack of self-awareness in calling someone else pathetic after you were so thoroughly dismantled in this thread.

Reaction Score
Impressive lack of self-awareness in calling someone else pathetic after you were so thoroughly dismantled in this thread.
Yet South Carolina is throughly in the field. But Boneyard clowns like you have them out.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
South Carolina is also 8-4 vs. the RPI Top 100. We are 6-10 vs the RPI Top 100.

I agree playing a tougher schedule is very important, but you have to win your games...I think their losses vs. Missouri, Tennessee, and Mississippi State should keep them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom