OT: Who's your hockey team? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Who's your hockey team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
[Qwould "FDNY99, post: 1872255, member: 683"]A good solid trade scenario would be a 3-way trade between the Stars, Pens and Rangers....Stars get Lundqvist and Staal, Rangers get Fluery and Klingberg, Pens get Sharp and Lehtonen[/QUOTE]
I would love that. Flurry is the name mentioned most around here as the top target for the Stars.

Reaction Score
[Qwould "FDNY99, post: 1872255, member: 683"]A good solid trade scenario would be a 3-way trade between the Stars, Pens and Rangers....Stars get Lundqvist and Staal, Rangers get Fluery and Klingberg, Pens get Sharp and Lehtonen[/QUOTE]
I would love that. Fluery is the name mentioned most around here as the top target for the Stars.

Reaction Score
This thread certainly hasn't got me running back to the NHL. That's for sure.

Reaction Score
I was born in Boston and was a Bruins fan for the first 25 years of my life. After moving to Central Mass I gradually started going to Whalers games and found them more fun. That was reinforced when we moved to Connecticut nearly 25 years ago and I went to about a 10-15 games per year. After the Whalers left I gradually took some interest in the Bruins again, but not with any real fervor (catch the occasional TV game when they are on here in Fairfield County and attended 2 games in 19 years). The NHL hasn't been the same for me since Brass Bonanza was silenced.

Reaction Score
My last year at the Daily Campus was 97 - turns out the Whale's last year.
I covered women's hoops and asked my editor - might have been Ostrout unless he had just left the year before can't remember - if I could cover the Whale on nights the women weren't playing instead of having us just take the AP feed like we usually would.
It was basically a fan's dream come true. Got to go to most home games in the press box surrounded by other reporters, scouts, scratched players. Got to the locker room after the game and ask a few questions to players who you always watched on TV. When the game was over I drove back to the paper and had to bang out a story as quickly as I could. I'm sure only a few kids read it but who cares. The whole experience was awesome.
Rick Ley sat in front of me most times - I think he was a scout for Toronto at the time, he might still live in the area.
Heard a few good stories up there. My memory is a little foggy but I think it was Steve Smith, the big defensemen from Chicago who was scratched and I overheard him telling someone that Stu Grimson would get so worked up before the Detroit games that he'd yak. Reason being he knew everyone going to the game was just waiting for the big Grimson/Probert fight that was just a matter of time.
Also think I remember a story where Grimson basically dared Coffey to a fight during a practice when Coffey was halfassing it with the Whale when he didn't want to be here. Coffey skated away smartly. Stu was a good teammate.
Also remember a few drunk Marchment stories, but that's not surprising. I. loved when Marchment was traded here only to be lost when Rutherford stupidly signed Steven Rice. Marchment was a ridiculous open ice hitter (sometimes borderline illegal but hey, you have to keep your head up when you're a forward).

That was basically my way of going out on top. Haven't watched the NHL since really. From what I understand the NHL isn't the same. Not much fighting. Blah. Of course a few years later the Hurricanes win it all with jackass Karmanos grinning from ear to ear. Just awful. As if Whalers fans needed a greater kick in the nuts already.

so anyway, F-off NHL and I'm all about UConn now. Couple years ago I watched UConn up at Freitas the year before we went to HE and was surprised at how good hockey was at the college level - I literally had stopped watching hockey cold outside of the one lame attempt to watch the Islanders.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Switched allegiance to the Bruins by default because I'm a Boston sports fan (Revs, Pats, Sox, Celtics) despite growing up in Fairfield County where all my friends supported NY teams.

I only saw the Whalers once at the Civic Center but my first hockey game was an amazing experience.

April 2nd, 1994. Whalers trailed 5-0. I was 7 years old, shell-shocked and miserable. I remember my Dad actually apologizing to me because this was a birthday gift. But then the Whalers made an incredible comeback to tie it up 5-5. Pure ecstasy and wonder. Of course they broke my heart by conceding a late winner. 6-5 Flyers.
Philadelphia Flyers at Hartford Whalers Box Score — April 2, 1994 | Hockey-Reference.com

Attachment: my prized possession

Attachments

• whalers.jpg
    whalers.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 23

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I didn't have a team... moved to Philly area but never really got into the local teams, Philly fans misery has become a excellent source of entertainment though... I married a girl from Winnipeg, my kids have grown up playing hockey, and Winnipeg built a nice little NHL arena, and got a team back... now I'm a Jets fan.

I think Hartford could get still get the Devils or the Islanders if they had an NHL quality arena.

Reaction Score
Clint Malarchuk, baby!!

Been watching sports for nearly 4 decades and have seen some gruesome injuries (Joe Theismann's leg, The UL player whose leg snapped in half on his own weight in the 2013 FF, many others), but absolutely nothing topped this. It's amazing he didn't bleed to death right on the ice.

Reaction Score
I was a diehard Whaler fan since the early 80s - once they left I gave up watching hockey on a regular basis. Still miss the sport but was too angry at the NHL for everything that went down. Occasionally follow during the playoffs and the Cup finals. Usually find myself rooting for the smaller market teams, and many of the Canadian teams over the southern transplant teams. Can't stand Gary Bettman to this day.

Glad we have UConn in Hockey East now - will focus my hockey interest on that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom