OT: Who are the best coaches in college basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Who are the best coaches in college basketball

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Jay Wright was playing modern 4 out offense in the early 2000s, way before it had any real traction.

He’d get my vote, although he and Sampson are the best I’ve seen at getting players on the roster to fill the exact roles needed in their systems.

Also, hard not to love how business like Wrights teams are. They seem incapable of falling prey to their opponents getting momentum.

Reaction Score
List of HOF coaches in today’s game.

Already in: K, Pitino, Izzo, Nose picker, Self

Locks: Wright, Few, Huggins, Sampson, Pearl, Barnes

Reaction Score
List of HOF coaches in today’s game.

Already in: K, Pitino, Izzo, Nose picker, Self

Locks: Wright, Few, Huggins, Sampson, Pearl, Barnes
Jay Wright is in the Hall of Fame.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Jay Wright
Kelvin Sampson
Rick Pitino
Mark Few
Leonard Hamilton
Jim Larranaga
Musselman
Drew
Painter (eventually at the top)
McDermott (no 1 on uconn fans list:)
Cooley
Self
Pearl
Bennett (if his O philosophy had any semblance of excitement)

Reaction Score
I think you gotta define what makes a great coach, cause i would say recruiting is absolutely an important part of coaching, I think that is Hurley's best attribute, not that I think he is on this list anyway

Reaction Score
Sampson has to be up there. Has his team on the verge of another final 4 with a completely different starting 5 from last year after losing his best player earlier in the season.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Sampson has to be up there. Has his team on the verge of another final 4 with a completely different starting 5 from last year after losing his best player earlier in the season.
2 best players probably!

Reaction Score
I think Jay Wright is the best overall coach in the game right now. If I’m picking who I’d want to lead UConn other than him, here are some: Kelvin Sampson, Rick Pitino, Musselman, Few, Self, Bennett, Drew, Cronin, Beard, Pearl.

August_West

Reaction Score
I think Jay Wright is the best overall coach in the game right now. If I’m picking who I’d want to lead UConn other than him, here are some: Kelvin Sampson, Rick Pitino, Musselman, Few, Self, Bennett, Drew, Cronin, Beard, Pearl.
It’s a good list. I’d add Oats.

But you know what? Hurley can be as good or better than most of them. He does something’s better than some of those coaches already. I want to believe with his devotion and work ethic he will do even more.

Reaction Score
It’s a good list. I’d add Oats.

But you know what? Hurley can be as good or better than most of them. He does something’s better than some of those coaches already. I want to believe with his devotion and work ethic he will do even more.
I like Oats too, especially had you asked me last season. His style just scares me a little bit. I’m not necessarily saying this is the case, but sometimes it seems like coaches who have a certain style get away from recruiting to that specific style. Oats is now going after big time 5 star, athletic players who don’t necessarily shoot it very well. There’s pressure on these guys to recruit that way, Shaka was kind of like that too at Texas. Need to see a little more from Oats before I put him in that group. I want to believe that Hurley can get into that group, but he’s basically ten years in at bigger programs and still hasn’t made a second weekend. That’s a little concerning.

August_West

Reaction Score
I like Oats too, especially had you asked me last season. His style just scares me a little bit. I’m not necessarily saying this is the case, but sometimes it seems like coaches who have a certain style get away from recruiting to that specific style. Oats is now going after big time 5 star, athletic players who don’t necessarily shoot it very well. There’s pressure on these guys to recruit that way, Shaka was kind of like that too at Texas. Need to see a little more from Oats before I put him in that group. I want to believe that Hurley can get into that group, but he’s basically ten years in at bigger programs and still hasn’t made a second weekend. That’s a little concerning.
It took jc time to make that shift too. From running the press with athletes to 4 and 5 stars . I think oats will be a force over next 10 years at Bama.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What Kelvin Sampson has done at Houston over the past 5 plus years is amazing being they are AAC. He is in top 2 or 3 with Jay Wright. Maybe McDermott is with them. I like Bob McKillop in the top 10

Reaction Score
What Kelvin Sampson has done at Houston over the past 5 plus years is amazing being they are AAC. He is in top 2 or 3 with Jay Wright. Maybe McDermott is with them. I like Bob McKillop in the top 10
facts, the AAC is still a mid- major imo

Reaction Score
Musselman is having a lot of success and watching his team play it is confident chaos and don't look back. May be missing something but I don't see any pros on his roster they are just a pain in the rear to play. Sampson is on a run and knew what he saw in Josh and snapped him up and improved his game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom