OT: Who are the best coaches in college basketball | The Boneyard

OT: Who are the best coaches in college basketball

Reaction Score

I thought this would be an interesting discussion. What are the boards thoughts on the best coaches currently in the game (not in terms of all time rank but current coaching ability). Until Duke is knocked out I'll include Coach K in this.

Just off the top of my head I'd say:

1) Jay Wright
2) Coach K
3) Mark Few
4) Tom Izzo
5) Scott Drew

Honorable mention: Kelvin Sampson, Eric Musselman, Matt Painter.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think Rothstein is on to something. Its Kelvin and Jay Wright neck and neck. Wright has built an incredible system at Nova and coaches the hell out of it. But there is no one in the country that gets more out of less than Kelvin Sampson. And that has to be THE hallmark of judging coaches.

Reaction Score
Ill leave off K since he's leaving but probably is deserving of the top spot otherwise..

1. Jay Wright
2. Bill Self
3. Scott Drew
4. Izzo
5. Sampson
358. Boeheim

Reaction Score
I’m sorry, Mark Few does not belong on a list where he has not won a single national championship with decade plus talent.
Going to the title game twice is more impressive than winning 1 title from a coaching perspective. Different from a fan enjoyment perspective, though.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry, Mark Few does not belong on a list where he has not won a single national championship with decade plus talent.

I always felt that this is an unfair standard, one which brought unfair criticism to Jim Calhoun prior to '99. Supposee you're such a good coach that you get your team to overperform enough that they get further than anyone had a right to expect? Does that make you a bum?

Reaction Score
I don't know how you can possibly say that someone is unequivocally the best coach in college basketball but what Sampson is doing this season is certainly among the more impressive coaching jobs I've ever seen.

Reaction Score
Jay Wright is undoubtedly the clear #1. I don't think there is a better system in basketball than Villanova. They are a machine.

Perfect roster construction, his players execute, they don't foul, don't turn the ball over. Probably most importantly, he understands that having multiple 3 point shooters and spacing the floor is how you win games in 2022.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I thought this would be an interesting discussion. What are the boards thoughts on the best coaches currently in the game (not in terms of all time rank but current coaching ability). Until Duke is knocked out I'll include Coach K in this.

Just off the top of my head I'd say:

1) Jay Wright
2) Coach K
3) Mark Few
4) Tom Izzo
5) Scott Drew

Honorable mention: Kelvin Sampson, Eric Musselman, Matt Painter.

One interesting thing is that nearly the entirety of that list (including honorable mention) already has qualified for an AARP membership card.

Reaction Score
Bruce Pearl has to be up there made a final four win everywhere he has gone, made a sweet 16 with UW Milwaukee, can definetly recruit.

Rick Barnes consistently wins everywhere he has gone, you just don’t want him coaching in March, didn’t even make a sweet 16 with Durant.

Right now it’s clearly Wright and Sampson, can’t wait to see that chess match on Saturday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom