OT: Where in CT can I buy silver queen corn? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Where in CT can I buy silver queen corn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Nah. You're covering up the deliciousness of the corn. Mayo, cheese, chipotle powder, lime and cilantro? You could cover a flip flop in that and it would taste good. I go straight up corn. No butter. No salt.
I eat it that way too. Gotta have variety, phan. I ( like you it sounds ) eat a lot of corn this time of year.

I boil it, grill it, hell I nuked a single ear in the husk for 3 min 10 seconds at 1 am last night. Cut off the bottom , squueze it from the top and it is cooked, husked and de-silked in one motion.

Have some traditional elotes some time. Will change your life. Mexicans know how to eat.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I go straight up corn. No butter. No salt.
Same here. And we steam it, not boil. Just enough so that it's hot, and then we pull it.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Heln Farm in Farmington used to have it. I moved away from CT a few years ago but it's worth checking.

Reaction Score
Thats probably very similar to mine, but the way I was taught (and swear by) is even simpler. Boil a pot of water until rolling boil. Do not shuck corn until ready to drop into the boiling water. When the corn hits the water it stops boiling and simply bring the water back to a boil, when the water hits a the boil, its done. Dont leave it in any longer. Usually it takes only about 5 minutes for the water to hit boil again.

Same way I have always done it. About 5 minutes is how long you want to boil it for.

arch

Reaction Score
Butter is cow bacon. Makes everything better.
Rosedales white corn isn't called silver queen any more. Silver maize or something or other. I dont get it until there's nothing else left.
If your pot is smallish break corn in two? If you don't have a pot, roast it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Scott Cole and son (UConn grad) in Madison has it
Bought it Friday

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
My braces keep me from going all Royal Typewriter on my corn cobs for now. So I will simply have to cut the kernels off with a knife. I'll stop by Coles this week. The spaces are all full when I cruise by.

Reaction Score
If anyone wants amazing CT produce I would go to the Coventry farmers market. Everything is a little pricy, but you are getting the best.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Roger's Orchard on the Southington / Wolcott line has white corn out now. Took a 6 rack to the face this weekend. Best corn of the year. The summer peaches were pretty solid after a day on the counter too.

Reaction Score
Is there any way to freeze corn on the cob to eat during the winter without it turning into mush like frozen corn on the cob from the supermarket when cooked ?

Reaction Score
Roger's Orchard on the Southington / Wolcott line has white corn out now. Took a 6 rack to the face this weekend. Best corn of the year. The summer peaches were pretty solid after a day on the counter too.
Probably were NJ peaches. The CT crop was almost entirely wiped out this year

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Probably were NJ peaches. The CT crop was almost entirely wiped out this year

Quite possibly. My 4 year old wolf cheesed all 3 of them before I could even get my hands on one. What beat up the crop? No rain?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If anyone wants amazing CT produce I would go to the Coventry farmers market. Everything is a little pricy, but you are getting the best.

I thought I read that Coventry farmers market ended its run at the close of last year's season. Is there a successor?

Reaction Score
Quite possibly. My 4 year old wolf cheesed all 3 of them before I could even get my hands on one. What beat up the crop? No rain?
Huge temperature drops at wrong time of peach formation.My parents are farmers, so they were disappointed with that result

Reaction Score
I thought I read that Coventry farmers market ended its run at the close of last year's season. Is there a successor?
It is back. Same location, but run by town of Coventry. Just as big, and really great. I help my dad out there because it's so busy.

Reaction Score
Don't roll your eyes. This is a serious question. Anyone know where silver queen corn is sold?
In SE Ct there is Whittle's Willow Spring Farm in Mystic. They planted to having it now and will continue to have it into October

Reaction Score
Omg time flies. I remember this thread from last summer like it was from memorial day '16.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom