OT: Where in CT can I buy silver queen corn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Where in CT can I buy silver queen corn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Dove,
yeah its late season. But right here where we are at work in Essex. That farm stand on 153 has it. Im sure they dont yet though. Got it there a few times last year. (in between route 9 on ramp and Colonial Market) you know where Im talking about? Forget them name.

Scott's Farms. I never stop there. Guess I will now.

No idea what Cole calls his, but he usually has two types of corn and both are very good. He only sells what he grows.

I'm usually doing 60 there and never stop. I'll slow down now.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm usually doing 60 there and never stop. I'll slow down now.
You'll be glad you did. They are a great family and they sell really great produce and flowers. It's very close to us and is a frequent stop--and almost always a highlight of the day, however brief.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Cole's Farm and Greenhouses in Madison is famous for their Silver Queen corn.
Scott and his son have the best veggies. The asparagus (sic) this spring was amazing

Reaction Score
http://www.rosedale1920.com/

Silver Queen Corn (was/is *ATM) available this week at the world famous Rosedale Farms. This afternoon we picked up seven (7) ears of what amounts to some of the best Silver Queen corn on the cob in the world. Please enjoy your corn with family, good cheer and of course continued prosperity.

I am 1 of the few that likes my SQ corn very heavy on the salt and butter. It isn't necessary at all so chalk it up to a bad habit.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
http://www.rosedale1920.com/

Silver Queen Corn (was/is *ATM) available this week at the world famous Rosedale Farms. This afternoon we picked up seven (7) ears of what amounts to some of the best Silver Queen corn on the cob in the world. Please enjoy your corn with family, good cheer and of course continued prosperity.

I am 1 of the few that likes my SQ corn very heavy on the salt and butter. It isn't necessary at all so chalk it up to a bad habit.
I don't know how can judge an ear of corn if you go very heavy on the salt and butter, or why you would waste time, effort and money tracking down "the best" just to cover it up with salt and butter, which could make Indian corn taste good.

I eat mine with nothing, barely cooked--just lightly steamed. If I have to put butter on it, it's a sub-par ear imo.

Reaction Score
I don't know how can judge an ear of corn if you go very heavy on the salt and butter, or why you would waste time, effort and money tracking down "the best" just to cover it up with salt and butter, which could make Indian corn taste good.

I eat mine with nothing, barely cooked--just lightly steamed. If I have to put butter on it, it's a sub-par ear imo.

I spent a lot of money flying all over the world sampling SQ corn. It was a hobby more or less. I created a Top 25 SQ ranking based on kernel consistency and texture. Many exciting corn excursions were spent with the likes of Fluedyslipcon, Giada De Laurentiis, Aida Mollenkamp, Nigella Lawson and even 1 with Padmaoxoxooxoxo except we sampled corn not a burger. Just sayin it was fun Brodie. :)

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Scott and his son have the best veggies. The asparagus (sic) this spring was amazing

Now that Dan is grown he looks like a mirror image of Scott from 20-something years ago.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
BLUEDOGHOUSE said:
I spent a lot of money flying all over the world sampling SQ corn. It was a hobby more or less. I created a Top 25 SQ ranking based on kernel consistency and texture. Many exciting corn excursions were spent with the likes of Fluedyslipcon, Giada De Laurentiis, Aida Mollenkamp, Nigella Lawson and even 1 with Padmaoxoxooxoxo except we sampled corn not a burger. Just sayin it was fun Brodie. :) YouTube Video

Would.....................................

.............. Demolish that burger

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Now that Dan is grown he looks like a mirror image of Scott from 20-something years ago.
Thought the same exact thing when I stopped there yesterday. Felt like a flashback.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Thought the same exact thing when I stopped there yesterday. Felt like a flashback.
I stopped at Cole Farms. White, sweet corn is due in 9 days.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I stopped at Cole Farms. White, sweet corn is due in 9 days.
Bummer--we'll be away on vacation that week. Hope it lasts longer than a week.

Had a couple ears of their sugar and butter corn on Sunday it was very good. No salt, no butter, lightly steamed--perfect.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
FYI, @Dove and other fresh corn fans in the Madison area, Cole's has their white corn in now and it's excellent.

But I hate to admit that we've come to prefer the corn from the guy who sells produce in Zhang's parking lot, near the Madison/Guilford line. He hasn't had white corn yet, but his butter and sugar corn is amazing. The rest of his produce has been top notch too (cantaloupe, plums, peaches, watermelon, potatoes, etc., etc.). Much wider selection than Cole's.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
FYI, @Dove and other fresh corn fans in the Madison area, Cole's has their white corn in now and it's excellent.

But I hate to admit that we've come to prefer the corn from the guy who sells produce in Zhang's parking lot, near the Madison/Guilford line. He hasn't had white corn yet, but his butter and sugar corn is amazing. The rest of his produce has been top notch too (cantaloupe, plums, peaches, watermelon, potatoes, etc., etc.). Much wider selection than Cole's.

I got bunked at Scotts yesterday. Been buying white corn for a week.
Went there early yesterday picked up 6 more white ears and 3 butter sugar. Got home and the White corn was actually Yellow Candy corn. It was OK, but I hate the bait and switch. The Butter Sugar was beyond excellent and has been for a few weeks.

Reaction Score
Farmstand for Eddy Farm, Willard Ave, Newington. Sprinkle on a liitle salt and you've got a sweet and savory delight.

Eddy Farm

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Anyone try grilling the corn? I don't own a pot big enough for corn, so I was thinking about giving grilling another try.

What's the best way to do so?

Reaction Score
I just read a great Cooks Illustrated article about how to properly boil corn.

Corn has stuff like gelatin and starches in the kernels that optimize between 150-170 degrees. When you drop corn in a boiling pot of water, the temp drops from the boiling point to that 170 degree range but then, if you let it continue to boil, it eventually gets back up to 210+ degrees. At temps that high, you break down and dissolve that "good stuff" inside and your corn gets chewy. You should get the pot of water to a boil, drop in the corn, put on a cover and remove it from the heat. It's ready to eat after 10 minutes and stays good up to 25-30 minutes because it sits in that 150-170 range most the entire time. Almost like a sous vide method of sorts.

Thank me later. I've eaten Rosedale Silver Queen the last 3 nights.

Reaction Score
Anyone try grilling the corn? I don't own a pot big enough for corn, so I was thinking about giving grilling another try.

What's the best way to do so?

Put it on grill, indirect heat. Baste corn with melted butter that has chopped garlic, salt, and pepper mixed in it. Towards end, shake some parm cheese on it. Let that melt.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I just read a great Cooks Illustrated article about how to properly boil corn.

Corn has stuff like gelatin and starches in the kernels that optimize between 150-170 degrees. When you drop corn in a boiling pot of water, the temp drops from the boiling point to that 170 degree range but then, if you let it continue to boil, it eventually gets back up to 210+ degrees. At temps that high, you break down and dissolve that "good stuff" inside and your corn gets chewy. You should get the pot of water to a boil, drop in the corn, put on a cover and remove it from the heat. It's ready to eat after 10 minutes and stays good up to 25-30 minutes because it sits in that 150-170 range most the entire time. Almost like a sous vide method of sorts.

Thank me later. I've eaten Rosedale Silver Queen the last 3 nights.

Thats probably very similar to mine, but the way I was taught (and swear by) is even simpler. Boil a pot of water until rolling boil. Do not shuck corn until ready to drop into the boiling water. When the corn hits the water it stops boiling and simply bring the water back to a boil, when the water hits a the boil, its done. Dont leave it in any longer. Usually it takes only about 5 minutes for the water to hit boil again.

and Tom, grilling? yes grilling is my preferred method. (because Im an Elotes addict)
peel back the husks (but dont remove), remove the silk put the husks back up to cover, tie off with the hust or twine. Soak in water about 15 minutes and then to the grill (can can also brush a light amount of olive oil or seasoning. on corn before putting the husk back up.

Grill 20 minutes or so at 350 ish. Over direct heat for a few(keep rolling them so you dont char a side) than over indirect heat with cover on until done.
LOVE roasted corn.
Brush it with some mayonaise, roll it in some cotija chees, sprinkle with some chipotle chile powder, squeeze some lime over it and then some chopped cilantro, used the pulled back husk as a handle, and boom. Mexican street corn (Elotes)

Reaction Score
By the way,

Most likely you are getting bunked on silver queen :)

Nobody really grows it anymore.

I'm sure a few mom and pop stands have some, but no farmers are growing it.

They are passing off white hybrids as silver queen.

Silver queen is not a viable grow for farmers anymore. It's sugars convert to starch within 24 hours after picking.

Sorry to ruin your thread. Discuss

100% correct. Silver Queen is an old standard (I grew it 30 years ago). Newer supersweet varieties have up to 4 times the sugar and can retain that sugar for 2 or more days. The old farmer's adage with Silver Queen and standard corn was don't pick it until your water is boiling. Silver Queen has become somewhat of a generic name for white corn, like Kleenex for tissue.

Reaction Score
Brush it with some mayonaise, roll it in some cotija chees, sprinkle with some chipotle chile powder, squeeze some lime over it and then some chopped cilantro, used the pulled back husk as a handle, and boom. Mexican street corn (Elotes)

Nah. You're covering up the deliciousness of the corn. Mayo, cheese, chipotle powder, lime and cilantro? You could cover a flip flop in that and it would taste good. I go straight up corn. No butter. No salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom