OT: Where in CT can I buy silver queen corn? | The Boneyard

OT: Where in CT can I buy silver queen corn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Don't roll your eyes. This is a serious question. Anyone know where silver queen corn is sold?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Spencer Hill Farm in Killingworth grows it. Not sure if consumers can buy it direct but worst case you could contact them and see what stores they sell to.

Dove

Reaction Score
Spencer Hill Farm in Killingworth grows it. Not sure if consumers can buy it direct but worst case you could contact them and see what stores they sell to.

This is excellent as I drive through Killingworth twice a day. Thanks, mets.

Well that was a random question. Just curious, do you have a bitter metallic taste in your mouth?

Nope, but queenie corn sounds like an antedote.

Dove

Reaction Score
Just found out Spencer Hill Farm sold the property to someone who has abandoned farming.

ALSO...I just Googled "silver queen corn, ct" and this thread was Link #3.

Reaction Score
My parents are farmers and sell at farmers markets. Those are the best places to get any corn or produce for that matter. If anyone has corn now it is certainly not local. Watch out for shady folks who buy it wholesale and present it as if they grew it

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Don't roll your eyes. This is a serious question. Anyone know where silver queen corn is sold?

Don't say that near a Narc...I think it has a whole new meaning now. Hey kid, wanna try some of this silver queen? Its straight out of Columbia. Best I ever had

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Cole's Farm and Greenhouses in Madison is famous for their Silver Queen corn.

Reaction Score

Way too early in the season for that.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Dove,
yeah its late season. But right here where we are at work in Essex. That farm stand on 153 has it. Im sure they dont yet though. Got it there a few times last year. (in between route 9 on ramp and Colonial Market) you know where Im talking about? Forget them name.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Dove, sign up for the e-mails from Cole's farm. He'll let you know when he has it.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
By the way,

Most likely you are getting bunked on silver queen :)

Nobody really grows it anymore.

I'm sure a few mom and pop stands have some, but no farmers are growing it.

They are passing off white hybrids as silver queen.

Silver queen is not a viable grow for farmers anymore. It's sugars convert to starch within 24 hours after picking.

Sorry to ruin your thread. Discuss

Reaction Score
Rosedale Farms in Simsbury sells it but not til later in the year.

Rosedale has some of the finest Silver Queen known to mankind. In the last 2 days I have had 11 ears of Rosedale Farms corn. Day off tonight. The over/under for tomorrow is 5 ears eaten. Hopefully 1 day we run into each other at Rosedale! Now don't change that over/under on the message board to 10! lol ;)

Have a beautiful evening filled with joy and good health! :) lol

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I just want to find corn that tastes like corn, not some super sweet facsimile. Other than shopping in Mexico, haven't found it lately.

Reaction Score
By the way,

Most likely you are getting bunked on silver queen :)

Nobody really grows it anymore.

I'm sure a few mom and pop stands have some, but no farmers are growing it.

They are passing off white hybrids as silver queen.

Silver queen is not a viable grow for farmers anymore. It's sugars convert to starch within 24 hours after picking.

Sorry to ruin your thread. Discuss

That's some pretty deep corn analysis there. Interesting! :)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No idea what Cole calls his, but he usually has two types of corn and both are very good. He only sells what he grows.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
8893 said:
No idea what Cole calls his, but he usually has two types of corn and both are very good. He only sells what he grows.

Oh yeah, all that stuff is delicious for sure. Fresh picked, super sweet. Whether the white stuff I bought in Essex at the end of last summer was silver queen or a white hybrid ( silver King, or white magic or argent or the a host of other white strains) it didn't matter. It ruled.
Freshness with corn is way more important than strain.

It's just that corn has been bred now to be super sweet and hold their sugars for up to a couple weeks now rather than less than a day.

Reaction Score
Don't buy from Niko's, he got bad tomatoes, he tried to buy corn on the c*ck

arch

Reaction Score
Rosedale has some of the finest Silver Queen known to mankind. In the last 2 days I have had 11 ears of Rosedale Farms corn. Day off tonight. The over/under for tomorrow is 5 ears eaten. Hopefully 1 day we run into each other at Rosedale! Now don't change that over/under on the message board to 10! lol ;)

Have a beautiful evening filled with joy and good health! :) lol
Thanks, didn't know corn was in yet. I'll be there tomorrow for sure. Go there every day I'm in the area during summer. Super Sweet in yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom