OT Where are the Yanks+Sox fans? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Where are the Yanks+Sox fans?

Reaction Score
How can there be UConn fans that don't like the Red Sox or the Yankees? I mean the only other option is the Mets, and no one ever admits to being a Mets fan.
Actually, there are some interesting comparisons between the Yankees and the UCONN WBB team.
Not judging the two entities with the same yardstick.
Mostly perception and fan expectation.
The Huskies have won so many NC's and have just flat out won so often, that fans of other WBB REALLY dislike them for being so consistantly good. Knoxville, Greensboro, and South Bend come to mind.Just like lots of baseball fans reqarding NYY.
Also, here in the BY, as elsewhere in HuskyNation, the expectations are so high, that anything less than a NC, no matter the circumstances, is greeted with condemnation, second guessing and the vague feeling that "something ain't right".
Any time NYY don't win the World Series, it's considered a disgrace to the hallowed franchise by the faithful.

Reaction Score
Actually, there are some interesting comparisons between the Yankees and the UCONN WBB team.
The Huskies have won so many NC's and have just flat out won so often, that fans of other WBB REALLY dislike them for being so consistantly good. Knoxville, Greensboro, and South Bend come to mind.Just like lots of baseball fans reqarding NYY.
Also, here in the BY, as elsewhere in HuskyNation, the expectations are so high, that anything less than a NC, no matter the circumstances, is greeted with condemnation, second guessing and the vague feeling that "something ain't right".
Any time NYY don't win the World Series, it's considered a disgrace to the hallowed franchise by the faithful.

I've seen this phenomenon with Patriots fans, especially those who can't remember what a God awful mess that team used to be. Anything less than a Super Bowl win is an absolute calamity. Some Red Sox fans are like that too, they only remember the 4 WS wins since 2004 & nothing of the 86 year long drought.

People get spoiled when their teams win so often, hopefully we UConn fans don't come across as arrogant jerks. And let's face it, when Geno & CD retire that will probably be it- with very few exceptions when a legendary coach who has built a program from the ground up moves on or retires, that program takes a nose dive. Just look at what has happened to Tennessee since Pat Summitt had to retire. Or UCLA since the Wooden years. Believe me I'm enjoying the ride while it lasts.

Reaction Score
I
Yankees WIN a series?
They haven’t played in a series game in 12 years.

Reaction Score
I've seen this phenomenon with Patriots fans, especially those who can't remember what a God awful mess that team used to be. Anything less than a Super Bowl win is an absolute calamity. Some Red Sox fans are like that too, they only remember the 4 WS wins since 2004 & nothing of the 86 year long drought.

People get spoiled when their teams win so often, hopefully we UConn fans don't come across as arrogant jerks. And let's face it, when Geno & CD retire that will probably be it- with very few exceptions when a legendary coach who has built a program from the ground up moves on or retires, that program takes a nose dive. Just look at what has happened to Tennessee since Pat Summitt had to retire. Or UCLA since the Wooden years. Believe me I'm enjoying the ride while it lasts.
Very true. You're obviously a Bruins fan based on your avatar and my guess is you like Celtics too. I'll bet Boston fans would have never believed looking into a crystal ball:

Celtics - One title since 1986, which is considered one of the best teams ever. Bird, DJ, Chief, and McHale got old all at once and deaths of Len Bias and Reggie Lewis were devastating. If McHale didn't throw Ainge a bone in 2008 with Garnett trade, the drought would still probably be going.

Bruins - One Cup since 1972, where the team was made up of Orr, Esposito, and other stars.

Point being Celtics fans in 1986 and Bruins fans in 1972 would have probably never believed at that point in time that championships would be few and far between from that point on seeing how good the franchises were at that time. Same could be said for a lot of other franchises. Championships become expected and teams just fall off a cliff in the blink of an eye and never recover.

Reaction Score
Realist here.
It’s HOW you spend the Benjamins.
At least they keep it ‘interesting’ into September.
Now the Orioles and the Mets....

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
How can there be UConn fans that don't like the Red Sox or the Yankees? I mean the only other option is the Mets, and no one ever admits to being a Mets fan.
I've done it on numerous occasions. I've no fear of honesty.

Reaction Score
I am not one, but have all the Yankee and Red Sox fans given up already? No discussions????
Why would you expect alot of baseball fans to comment on a basketball blog? Plus, this was only a Wildcard Game. Exciting but still just a Wildcard.

Reaction Score
Why would you expect alot of baseball fans to comment on a basketball blog? Plus, this was only a Wildcard Game. Exciting but still just a Wildcard.
True, but there actually is an active thread since yesterday on the men's board:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Greensboro???

Reaction Score
Hi, I've been a NYY fan since the Dodgers ran to LA.
Before the season the "talking suits" picked the NYY to win the Eastern Division of the American League and get to the World Series!
It is frustrating to watch that much talent play the way this year's team has!
Near the top in MLB in outs made base running, hitting into double plays, dropping popups, getting struck-out in huge numbers (Jim Gallo struck out 213+ alone)!
I blame management for worrying about the $ over the product on the field!
The worst thing that happened to the NYY was George Steinbrenner's passing.
He wouldn't have stood for the BS that passed off as a MLB team! It used to be the ONLY goal was winning the World Series now it's the financially bottom line!
The NYY sealed their fate this past off-season by not signing the best catcher in BB, free-agent J. T. Realmuto!
Instead they re-signed the human passed ball/.187hitter, Gary Sanchez!
I knew then the Yankees were doomed!
With both the NYY and UCONN WBB they don't have to win a Championship every year for me to be happy just be competitive and not beat themselves!
Until this year I've NEVER changed channels when the Yankees start to throw away a game but it drives me crazy!
Can you tell I'm pi---ed off?

Reaction Score
Gotta tell you.
Watching a baseball game on TV is like watching paint dry.
Until they institute changes to speed up the game, my interest will continue to fade.

Reaction Score
I was a Mets fan. But just too many years of pathetic management and poor play has left me behind. Al UConn!!

Really tremendous "30 for 30" film about the 1986 Mets on ESPN.

Yankees? Who cares?

Reaction Score
Very true. You're obviously a Bruins fan based on your avatar and my guess is you like Celtics too. I'll bet Boston fans would have never believed looking into a crystal ball:

Celtics - One title since 1986, which is considered one of the best teams ever. Bird, DJ, Chief, and McHale got old all at once and deaths of Len Bias and Reggie Lewis were devastating. If McHale didn't throw Ainge a bone in 2008 with Garnett trade, the drought would still probably be going.

Bruins - One Cup since 1972, where the team was made up of Orr, Esposito, and other stars.

Point being Celtics fans in 1986 and Bruins fans in 1972 would have probably never believed at that point in time that championships would be few and far between from that point on seeing how good the franchises were at that time. Same could be said for a lot of other franchises. Championships become expected and teams just fall off a cliff in the blink of an eye and never recover.

Spot on.

I'm still crushed about the Bruins' 2019 Cup defeat, it was their best chance since 2011 to win it all. :(

Reaction Score
First we had Bucky "Bleeping" Dent,
Then Aaron "Bleeping" Boone.
What would you do with $324 million?
This was the back cover of the NY Post:
1633542019356.png

Reaction Score
Hi, I've been a NYY fan since the Dodgers ran to LA.
Before the season the "talking suits" picked the NYY to win the Eastern Division of the American League and get to the World Series!
It is frustrating to watch that much talent play the way this year's team has!
Near the top in MLB in outs made base running, hitting into double plays, dropping popups, getting struck-out in huge numbers (Jim Gallo struck out 213+ alone)!
I blame management for worrying about the $ over the product on the field!
The worst thing that happened to the NYY was George Steinbrenner's passing.
He wouldn't have stood for the BS that passed off as a MLB team! It used to be the ONLY goal was winning the World Series now it's the financially bottom line!
The NYY sealed their fate this past off-season by not signing the best catcher in BB, free-agent J. T. Realmuto!
Instead they re-signed the human passed ball/.187hitter, Gary Sanchez!
I knew then the Yankees were doomed!
With both the NYY and UCONN WBB they don't have to win a Championship every year for me to be happy just be competitive and not beat themselves!
Until this year I've NEVER changed channels when the Yankees start to throw away a game but it drives me crazy!
Can you tell I'm pi---ed off?

I think the salary cap & its requirements have strangled the Yankees- they can't just go out & buy the best players damn the cost anymore. I won't be surprised if Cashman gets the axe, I read somewhere he's spent close to 3 BILLION dollars on players during his tenure and he's only got one WS in 20 years to show for all that money. Boone will probably go too.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think the salary cap & its requirements have strangled the Yankees- they can't just go out & buy the best players damn the cost anymore. I won't be surprised if Cashman gets the axe, I read somewhere he's spent close to 3 BILLION dollars on players during his tenure and he's only got one WS in 20 years to show for all that money. Boone will probably go too.
Read this in an article, FWIW. I'm a born and raised Yankee fan that can't get up the interest to watch unless they are deep in the postseason. As others said, it isn't all that exciting to watch baseball on TV, and I have no rooting interest in the Diamondbacks, which passes for local being only 2 hours or so away.

There is still a WS expectation mostly because they are (largely) fairly competitive year in and year out. That they never get over the hump, that's the rub, but as someone who followed them in the dead zone that was the later 60's and beyond . . .

To the sundry Boston fans, which I never was - yes, the Celtics and Bruins in the day were great, I didn't particularly dislike the Bruins and never followed the NBA, but when I hear those teams discussed on programs like PTI, wow, you had something special. And the Patriots were, likewise, great for an extended run (although I am a Giant fan, so I wasn't rooting).

Reaction Score
I attended last night @ Fenway and am a reasonably travelled baseball fan having gone to ALL active MLB parks, plus some in Japan, etc.

Let me admit my heritage as a Midwest guy tainted by several decades in the Northeast. What I like about baseball is it is outside and as a Minnesota child my Dad took me to see the Twins (Twinks) in their 1965 World Series vs LAD.

Typically baseball STILL is a great family outing. Sit in the sun, chat with fellow fans, buy the kiddies a hot dog and enjoy universal sights & sounds of baseball - hawking vendors, the smell of hot dogs, colorful people, peanuts and a late-inning rendition of Neil Diamond. Almost always you're welcomed as a guest when locals learn you're an out-of-towner. They are proud of their team, their ballpark and are eager to help you find the best restaurant and things to do during your stay. No animosity if you clap for the visiting team.

So anywhere from San Diego to Toronto, Milwaukee to Tampa Bay, even Anaheim baseball fans are great folks and attending a game as a visitor is family friendly and safe. No thrown beer, no jeers, no "Yankees suck" catcalls or insults per the visiting team's cap you're wearing. PLUS - you can afford to park and buy the family a hot dog and soda without a 2nd mortgage.

But like most rules there are exceptions and in my experience there are 4 definite and 1 maybe exceptions where friendliness is not the rule: New York Yankees, New York Mets, Philadelphia, BOSTON - and arguably Chicago White Sox. I've been to all including Playoff games at Yankees, Mets, and 30+ at Fenway. Civility is not the norm.

Fenway is better than in the 90s & early 2000s where NYY/RS matchups needed heavy police presence. Drunkenness is down and last night was reasonably cordial with no fights near me. Pedro vs Don Zimmer altercations are less common.

But I'm a fan and these are my area teams, so I go. For those who been jaundiced by the ridiculous salaries, off-field antics, entitled attitudes or questionable safety of the Yankees/Red Sox in particular - you have cause. However I do think baseball is a better kid attendance sport than the other majors and I would encourage even the doubters to let their kids experience what can be a lifetime memory for the positive.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I guess you haven't been reading the posts in all the past off-seasons: songs, pizza, beer photos, TV shows, and yes, BASEBALL has been discussed. I know I have only been on the site for 6+ years, but I can't remember when baseball was NOT a topic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom