OT - What You Don't Get in Your Yard in CT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - What You Don't Get in Your Yard in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
@Hoophound I don't think your Eastern Rattlers are close to being that big. I'm in L.A. It was about 4 feet long and really thick.

Eastern diamondback rattlesnake, the ones down south, are the largest snake, in the lower 48. Of course the deadliest ones are the smallest ones too, coral snakes or Mojave rattlers. Never had to fight of rattlers in my yard in San Jose, but we had black widow spiders nearly everywhere. Ran into many snakes, venomous and nonvenomous, in the park behind the house. Didn't see any mountain lions, but saw scat and prints enough times. They see us before we see them.

If you're in LA, why is your grass green? Water waster! I'm calling Uncle Jerry on you... (actually I'm in NYC now, to returning to Ess soon.)

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I screamed like a girl and ran back into the house yelling 'SNAKE SNAKE SNAKE'

Then I got my neighbor who isn't afraid of snakes to deal with it. I wanted him to kill it but he use a household broom to get it out of the yard. I got a new tub of .22 pellets to put in my air rifle the next time one comes back in my yard because it isn't going out alive....

Update: Here's a picture of jleves' neighbor

b640x600.jpg

Reaction Score
CL82 said:
One of the streams that I let my dog swim in has one these bad boys last weekend. It was right next to the spot she usually jumps in. I moved her up stream and let her go in but I guess I should avoid that area with her. It looked pretty mature so it's probably been around for a while. People always think of the east coast as developed but copperheads, water moccasins (and of course bear) are pretty prevalent. My son took a picture of eastern rattler while hiking, so they are out there as well

That's a Northern Water Snake. Water Moccasins are no further north than southern VA. That snake is big and fat and scary looking, but your dog can swim with her. (Females are bigger, so I'm guessing that's a female).

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Eastern diamondback rattlesnake, the ones down south, are the largest snake, in the lower 48. Of course the deadliest ones are the smallest ones too, coral snakes or Mojave rattlers. Never had to fight of rattlers in my yard in San Jose, but we had black widow spiders nearly everywhere. Ran into many snakes, venomous and nonvenomous, in the park behind the house. Didn't see any mountain lions, but saw scat and prints enough times. They see us before we see them.

If you're in LA, why is your grass green? Water waster! I'm calling Uncle Jerry on you... (actually I'm in NYC now, to returning to Ess soon.)

Yah, water waster, water waster, water waster!!! Mother nature is sending snakes to punish water wasters.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's a Northern Water Snake. Water Moccasins are no further north than southern VA. That snake is big and fat and scary looking, but your dog can swim with her. (Females are bigger, so I'm guessing that's a female).
Thanks, I just Googled to confirm. That picture is off the internet but its a pretty good match. We called all swimming snakes water moccasins as kids, so I assumed that the range extended farther north than it does.

All snakes can swim, but only the northern water snake and queen snake rely heavily on waterbodies. Northern water snakes are frequently found swimming in waterways and basking on embankments, and are often mistaken for water moccasins, which do not occur in New Jersey.

Good PDF on NJ snakes

Reaction Score
Pulled a 5 ft rattlesnake out of a shed at Limerock years ago.

Reaction Score
Get Ted Cruz to take care of it. Wrap it around his AK, shoot it and eat it Texas style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom