OT: What now for Foles? | The Boneyard

OT: What now for Foles?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wentz will be the starting QB again next season; meanwhile the MVP of the Eagles' lone Super Bowl win goes back to the bench?

I know that it makes sense, but it seems that Foles redeemed himself a bit here and may have a better use elsewhere. Curious what the thinking is about his future now.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
He has a year left at like 5.5 million.

This is a tough call.

What if Wentz has a setback?
That is fairly cheap insurance at 5.5 mil

Take care of him and ask him do you want to be released and become FA - we owe that to you.
Is there a team your agent can help facilitate a trade to.

I would let him dictate his fate as much as possible, he brought it home for the org.

Last edited:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
He has a year left at like 5.5 million.

This is a tough call.

What if Wentz has a setback?
That is fairly cheap insurance at 5.5 mil

Take care of him and ask him do you want to be released and become FA - we owe that to you.
Is there a team your agent can help facilitate a trade to.

I would let him dictate is fate as much as possible, he brought it home for the org.
Went tore 2 ligaments, I believe. They might want to hold on to Foles.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Wentz has more than just a sprain. I see Foles starting at QB until Wentz is ready. 5 games in? 10 games? Then he will start and Foles will be a great back-up through 2019.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
He'll definitely get calls but he himself has tied his success to going back to Philly. He's only in the league now because Pederson went and got him and Pederson is a student of Andy Ried. Any team that picked him up
Would have to totally adjust the offense to
him. Hopefully they'll compensate him and he stays. No matter what happens, he has Rocky status in Philly forever.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Trade Foles for some high-value draft picks, sign a backup and move on. Can't have that kind of value sitting on your bench in case...

I'm a Philly fan but I understand that the business of the NFL usually leads to this scenario happening.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Kinda wild career with Foles?

Came on the scene and put up an absurd partial season, kind of floundered around a bit, comes to Philly as the back up and throws absolute dimes in the SB to beat the Patriots.

The TD throws to Jeffrey and Clements were perfect balls. You have to imagine some team is going to cough up a decent pick for him; that said would you really want to run him out of town at this point?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Wentz will be the starting QB again next season; meanwhile the MVP of the Eagles' lone Super Bowl win goes back to the bench?

I know that it makes sense, but it seems that Foles redeemed himself a bit here and may have a better use elsewhere. Curious what the thinking is about his future now.

Yeah I'd say he redeemed himself!

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Came on the scene and put up an absurd partial season, kind of floundered around a bit, comes to Philly as the back up and throws absolute dimes in the SB to beat the Patriots.

The TD throws to Jeffrey and Clements were perfect balls. You have to imagine some team is going to cough up a decent pick for him; that said would you really want to run him out of town at this point?
Exactly. That’s why I think it’s such an interesting question/dilemma.

And yeah those passes were amazingly accurate.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

When I went back and looked at it in detail (because my fellow Pats fans were selling Foles short), I saw a guy who was much better than people thought.

He came in as a rookie and filled in when Vick was hurt. Played very well. That was for Reid. Next season, same thing, Vick got hurt early and Foles came in and lead them to a playoff berth (last one before this season). Before his third season, Chip Kelly decided to clean house, brought in Bradford to run his system and traded Foles to the Rams in that deal. Now Foles is with Jeff Fisher, who never met a QB he couldn't ruin. He was not good, and they gave the job to Case Keenum (now with Vikes). After that, Andy Reid remembered how he played and signed him with the Chiefs. But Alex Smith was healthy all year and he didn't play. Then we have this season.

So except for his stint with the Rams, he has been quite good, certainly above average, whenever given a shot to play for anybody but Jeff Fisher.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Eagles fan here. He wants to retire? Cool. Wants to start somewhere else? Cool. Wants to stay as backup? Cool. Whatever he wants, Philly owes him. Its for one year @ 5 million, anyway.
The minute I saw Eagles fan it answered a whole slew of questions
Anyway, Congrats on the victory

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
When I went back and looked at it in detail (because my fellow Pats fans were selling Foles short), I saw a guy who was much better than people thought.

He came in as a rookie and filled in when Vick was hurt. Played very well. That was for Reid. Next season, same thing, Vick got hurt early and Foles came in and lead them to a playoff berth (last one before this season). Before his third season, Chip Kelly decided to clean house, brought in Bradford to run his system and traded Foles to the Rams in that deal. Now Foles is with Jeff Fisher, who never met a QB he couldn't ruin. He was not good, and they gave the job to Case Keenum (now with Vikes). After that, Andy Reid remembered how he played and signed him with the Chiefs. But Alex Smith was healthy all year and he didn't play. Then we have this season.

So except for his stint with the Rams, he has been quite good, certainly above average, whenever given a shot to play for anybody but Jeff Fisher.

Good points. It's not like this was a few game aberration where a guy played over his head and you would be expect an eventual regression to the mean.

Eagles are obviously dealing from a position of strength, even if it's a difficult decision that needs to be made. I'd imagine Foles wouldn't want to be a backup and if Wentz comes back and doesn't light the world on fire like he was doing this year, you're going to have a hell of a controversy on your hands.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Eagles fans, great game to watch from a fan of a team with only a commercial.

As for Foles, they should pay him some more to say next year while their QB heals, then let him figure out on his own. He seems like a kid who is very comfy in Philly and needs that to succeed so he may be a wild card even after showing he can be very very good.

Reaction Score
He played fantastic yesterday. Tough situation for the team and for him as far as the future is concerned. I hope he gets the opportunity to shine again. He will always be a larger than life Legend in Philly. He was a treat to watch yesterday, and that's coming from a Patriots fan.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Congrats to Eagles fans, great game to watch from a fan of a team with only a commercial.

As for Foles, they should pay him some more to say next year while their QB heals, then let him figure out on his own. He seems like a kid who is very comfy in Philly and needs that to succeed so he may be a wild card even after showing he can be very very good.

If they are smart, they trade him. I think he's a legit NFL starter. But Wentz is better, and younger. I also think both of the benefited from the running game and great OL. Foles' value is as high as it will get. Several teams need QBs.

If they think Wentz may not be healthy, keep him, and take another shot at a Superbowl. But Philly can use some upgrades at CB.

Reaction Score
Foyles should capitalize and take as much of the owners money he can find offered. Loyalty in the NFL is meaningless unless you are a franchise type player.

Just saying his value is very high right now, and in the League it actually fluctuates game by game (i.e. risk of injury). Go get paid!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If they are smart, they trade him. I think he's a legit NFL starter. But Wentz is better, and younger. I also think both of the benefited from the running game and great OL. Foles' value is as high as it will get. Several teams need QBs.

If they think Wentz may not be healthy, keep him, and take another shot at a Superbowl. But Philly can use some upgrades at CB.

Yeah I'm going with many saying Wentz will not be ready so why no go into the season ready to win rather than hope ou can with a "real" back up. He likes it there, although he can get some serious cash right now if they let him talk to a team about an extension of his contract.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's a rich man now. I kinda feel for him that his wife wouldn't kiss him after the game. That was messed up.

Reaction Score
The guy is a superbowl MVP. I doubt he'll want to stick around in Philly and keep Wentz's seat warm. The eagles should be able to get some good value for him and help continue to build around Wentz. It would be too much of a distraction to keep him around anyways. What if Wentz isn't ready by week 1 and Foles goes out there and balls out? It's a good problem to have for the Eagles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom