OT: What now for Foles? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: What now for Foles?

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Foyles should capitalize and take as much of the owners money he can find offered. Loyalty in the NFL is meaningless unless you are a franchise type player.

Just saying his value is very high right now, and in the Leagues it actually fluctuates game by game (i.e. risk of injury). Go get paid!

I think he'd be a good fit for the Giants.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think he'd be a good fit for the Giants.
I was thinking that, too. But timing is off just a bit, as I expect Eli to be the presumptive starter next season and I don't think Foles would leave Philly for a non-starting position elsewhere.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He's a rich man now. I kinda feel for him that his wife wouldn't kiss him after the game. That was messed up.
?? I missed that. What happened?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I don't think they can keep both. They had to rebuild the offense around Foles after Wentz went down before he started producing on offense. It took a couple of weeks. Wentz seems to be the QB of the future for Philly, so as many have said, get what you can get now for him particularly with teams needing a QB. Arizona has to rebuild everything anyway so that would be a great landing spot for Foles. He really impressed me throughout the playoff run. Anyone who can play QB at that level under the brightest lights has a future as a starter somewhere. He made himself a ton of future money over the last 4 weeks.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Love these two tidbits from the NYT article today about the trick play:
Because there were so many reporters around during Super Bowl week, the team practiced the play in the ballroom of the team hotel.

It should not come as a surprise that Foles looked like natural catching a pass. He was an excellent basketball player in high school, capable of dunking over defenders. His mother said he was a star baseball player and nearly earned a black belt in taekwondo. He was also a standout at ultimate Frisbee.

How Nick Foles and the Eagles Tricked the Patriots

Reaction Score
Eagles fan here. Not sure there is a player in recent memory who got more of a raw deal from the league than Foles. Follow the timeline and ask yourself whether he actually needed to redeem himself or if he simply never got a fair shot.

April 2012 - Drafted in the third round out of Arizona by Andy Reid.

Nov 2012 - Starts his first game as a rookie behind a ravaged roster starting virtually all second stringers. Finishes the year 1-6 with mediocre but respectable numbers given the circumstances (61% comp, 79.1 passer rating, 1,700 yards). Andy Reid is fired following the season and Chip Kelly is hired shortly thereafter (in other words, the guy who drafted him is out and somebody who wanted nothing to do with him is in).

Oct 2013 - Takes over for Mike Vick on a team that is 1-3 and presumably re-building. Proceeds to go 9-2 as the starter over the final 11 games, posting MVP numbers and dragging a mediocre defense to an NFC East crown. Plays very well against New Orleans in the playoff game, leading a go-ahead touchdown drive with just two minutes to spare before a very good Saints team wins it on a walk-off field goal.

Nov 2014 - Foles suffers a season-ending injury against the Houston Texans. Foles had regressed from the previous season due in no small part to the loss of star receiver DeSean Jackson, the suspension of star tackle Lane Johnson, and the assortment of other injuries along the offensive line. Despite all this Foles is on pace to throw for nearly 4,500 yards and has the Eagles at 6-2. Mark Sanchez comes in, thought of to be a better fit for Chip Kelly's system, the season implodes and the Eagles miss the playoffs.

March 2015 - Foles traded to the St. Louis Rams for former #1 pick Sam Bradford, a guy who, you guessed it, fit Chip Kelly's system better. Foles finishes at 15-5 under Chip Kelly.

Sept 2015 - Foles begins his short tenure in St. Louis by dethroning the two time reigning division champs. However, it is mostly all down hill from there as he proceeds to finish 4-7 as the starter and with more interceptions than touchdowns. He had inherited the 25th ranked offense from the year before and a mostly disastrous personnel group, paired with quarterback killer Jeff Fisher, but nonetheless he played poorly and understandably compelled the Rams organization to go in another direction.

Dec 2015 - Chip Kelly is fired by Philly after a 6-9 season with protege Sam Bradford (he did not coach the final game that season). Kelly finishes his tenure 15-5 with Nick Foles at quarterback and 11-17 with everyone else.

Jan 2016 - The Eagles hire Doug Pederson, an Andy Reid disciple, as head coach.

Aug 2016 - Andy Reid and the Chiefs sign Nick Foles to a one year deal.

Oct 2016 - Alex Smith injures himself in a game against the Colts. Foles comes on and relief, throwing for 223 yards and a 135.1 passer rating. The following week he gets the start and the Chiefs beat the Jaguars, 19-14.

I can keep going but most know the rest. Never have I seen a larger divide between how a player was perceived nationally and how he was perceived locally. The majority of the Eagles fan base loved this guy, and they're certainly not a crowd that is easily won over. Suffice to say, it's astounding to still be hearing the "I can't believe we lost to Nick Foles" sentiments from Patriots fans and people around the league. I think people just make up their mind on a guy and refuse to allow any counter evidence to sway their opinion. If he's a system quarterback, then I would like to see who isn't. Some of the throws he's made the last couple weeks threw me for a loop and I've been the guys biggest fan forever. I hear folks talking as if he's just been the recipient of some plug and play system, it's like no actually he is the system that's why Chip Kelly is out of the league and he's the Super Bowl MVP, and even though the right move is to give the franchise back to Wentz, it's so remarkable to me that Foles will probably have to end up re-locating again when he continues to do the one thing that is said to prevent that from happening.

Reaction Score
Hopefully he goes to New England. They’re going to have a huge turnover in the very near future, not counting losing O and D coordinators. Belichek is mid 60s, OLine coach is 70. Lots of players have had concussions (Gronk, Brady, etc). Lots of change coming.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
He'll definitely get calls but he himself has tied his success to going back to Philly. He's only in the league now because Pederson went and got him and Pederson is a student of Andy Ried. Any team that picked him up
Would have to totally adjust the offense to
him. Hopefully they'll compensate him and he stays. No matter what happens, he has Rocky status in Philly forever.

Good call Horatio. Read that Foles stopped playing for a bit. He decided to come back but only if he could play for Andy Reid. The rest is, well you know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom