OT - What lives rent free in your head? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - What lives rent free in your head?

Reaction Score
Just in general people who don't respond to emails or phone calls within 24 hours.

Reaction Score
That's a name I haven't heard in a few years.
He died back in 2008. I met him at work in 1988, during the 3 or 4 year stint he had in between prison terms. I had no idea about his past, but just got a weird feeling from him. He'd grumble and glower at you and act like he hated you, then turn around and randomly give you a heap of salmon that he'd caught. He was the ultimate Jekyll and Hyde guy.

Reaction Score
You win. Why/how did you meet a cannibal?
I briefly had a night job at a Dunkin' Donuts in Rochester and he would hang out in there. I think he must've worked nights too. The first time I ever saw him, he was at a table with a coffee that he appeared to be talking to, but I think he was just mumbling something to himself. He looked up, saw me, and looked really mad, but didn’t really say anything to me. I worked there maybe 5 more weeks after that and saw him a handful of times. The last time was when he gave me all the salmon after overhearing me say I couldn't cover groceries for the week. He must've been a pretty good fisherman, because he had a ton in the basket on his bike.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Just in general people who don't respond to emails or phone calls within 24 hours.

I'll get back to them sooner or later.
IMG_0115.jpeg

Reaction Score
When a Grateful Dead fan comes up to me and says “dude Cornell 1977 was the best show ever.”

And then in my head the first thing that pops up is when Donna comes in a verse too early on St Stephen and completely ruins it. I can’t never unhear it.
Overall the music is tight, but Jerry mangles the lyrics on Fire also. Decent show but not best ever.

Reaction Score
I briefly had a night job at a Dunkin' Donuts in Rochester and he would hang out in there. I think he must've worked nights too. The first time I ever saw him, he was at a table with a coffee that he appeared to be talking to, but I think he was just mumbling something to himself. He looked up, saw me, and looked really mad, but didn’t really say anything to me. I worked there maybe 5 more weeks after that and saw him a handful of times. The last time was when he gave me all the salmon after overhearing me say I couldn't cover groceries for the week. He must've been a pretty good fisherman, because he had a ton in the basket on his bike.
Wow, that's unreal. Thanks for sharing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Are you sure it was salmon?

Reaction Score
Pharmaceutical commercials that warn, "do not take this medication if you are allergic to this medication."
this is a great one. I wonder if gun dealers tell their customers “do not load this and aim it at your head and pull the trigger”

Reaction Score
This a little bit because it was pre-emptive n from a Husky fan :eek:
IMG_4473.jpeg

Feelin like McNulty…the did I do??

Reaction Score
Are you sure it was salmon?
Thankfully they were whole, so I can say for sure it was salmon. I didn't much enjoy having to gut them, but it provided me with a week's plus worth of meals.

His personality and behavior would turn on a dime. He'd go from jovial to enraged and back again in a span of mere minutes. As weird as it feels to say this, there were genuinely likeable aspects to the guy. He had almost no money, but if he ever saw someone worse off, he'd go out of his way to help. In his more stable moments, he had a good sense of humor and could be funny as hell. He was in prison three times. Ironically, he was granted early release the first time after saving a CO's life during a prison riot. He also seemed to gravitate toward police officers and would talk to them more than anyone else.

As I (years) later learned, he was pumping them for information on the killings, more or less trying to see if they were onto him and trying to throw them off trail.

Of course, there was also the dark side of his personality, which was downright intimidating. He'd tell bizarre stories about Vietnam that were filled with cartoonish acts of violence. He also had an extreme aversion to wrinkles in his shirt. If he thought his shirt was anything less than perfect, he'd have to go home and change. He also had a laundry list of conspiracy theories, most involving either outer space or chemical tampering.

I never felt fully at ease when he was around. I wasn't close with him and never once saw him outside of work - I'd estimate I maybe saw him 9 or 10 times total, always in the wee hours of the morning. He was just one of those repeat customer types and that was the extent of our association. By the time he was apprehended, I'd already left Rochester and had seldom if ever thought about him since moving.

When the news broke, it was a surreal feeling. I was shocked, but at the same time, I wasn't. Maybe it's just a case of hindsight being 20/20, but from the small amount of time I spent around him, I feel as though I should've been more tipped off as to the fact that he was such a dangerous person. I do carry some degree of guilt for not telling the cops to keep an eye on him or something, considering how many lives he took.

There are plenty of videos of him on YouTube. He cones off as really simple in most of them, but in person, he didn't strike me as unintelligent.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Brooke Nevin

A bit of info that @August_West likely already knows: her father Bob was a Ranger back in the late 1960's-early 1970's with the GG line, a very young Brad Park and Eddie Giacomin playing goalie with no face mask.

NYR-1.jpg
+

NYR-2.jpg

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Stores that don't really open when they say they open.

"We open at 8 am, but it takes a little while for the cashiers to count their drawers, service desk to boot up their computers and lottery ..."

"I'm looking to replace a carpet."

"Oh, customer service reps don't get here until 9."

Then you DON'T OPEN AT 8 AM

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
"I'm looking to replace a carpet."

"Oh, customer service reps don't get here until 9."

Then you DON'T OPEN AT 8 AM
This is what lives in my head every time I think of carpeting...

temery

What?
Reaction Score
If you transpose in Deep (like I just did) it ends up being the same thing!

Episode 1 Mind Blown GIF by The Office

Some comedian has a bit about calling customer service to tell them they spelled his name wrong.

"You spelled my name wrong. It's J-o-n-e-s, you spelled it J-o-o-n-e-s. You need to take one of the Os."

"Ok, which one."

Reaction Score
I've never broken 90. Consistently between 90-95 on the courses I played most often. Then one day I went out and shot 37 on the front nine. This was going to be the day, no doubt about it. Hell, I might even break 80!

Naturally, shot 53 on the back.
Never broken 80. Shot a 38 on the front 9 of Smith Richardson in Fairfield last year. 10th hole, block my driver OB right, finish with an 81…

I know the pain.

Reaction Score
I was weirdly obsessed with the movie Hot Rod when I was in high school, watched it probably 75+ times. Among the many quotes that are perpetually still stuck in my head almost all the time, I have the hardest time not saying "My name is _____ and I like to party," whenever I introduce myself to someone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom