OT- What is Texas Doing?! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT- What is Texas Doing?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually, it's higher. It's 3.7 million (base pay only):

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/01/04/texas-coach-charlie-strong-louisville/4315315/

And I know, I know...what's 1.3 million between friends? But still, to be a legend in an area; priceless. Geno Auriemma already has two area restaurants (Mohegan, Storrs), and Calhoun used to have the bar "Coach's" in Hartford. Buildings and fields get named after you. Your name becomes synonymous with the university (like Wooden and UCLA, or like Bowden and FSU). How much is something like that worth? To me, it's not worth the 33% raise...

I'm going to apply for copyright on TexasStrong.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Strong is absolutely out of his mind if he doesn't accept it. A coach needs to get all he can, while he can. Two bad years at Louisville and they will run him out of town just like any other coach. You've got to take 1.5mil raise whenever you can get it.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Strong is absolutely out of his mind if he doesn't accept it. A coach needs to get all he can, while he can. Two bad years at Louisville and they will run him out of town just like any other coach. You've got to take 1.5mil raise whenever you can get it.

I'll go out on a limb and say that if he takes the job (and I'm sure he's already taken it), he's not taking it for the money. He's taking it for the prestige and for the bright lights. There's no doubt in my mind about that...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I'll go out on a limb and say that if he takes the job (and I'm sure he's already taken it), he's not taking it for the money. He's taking it for the prestige and for the bright lights. There's no doubt in my mind about that...
Huh? If that was the case Texas would offer him half his current salary for the honor of being their coach. Yes it's prestigious but it's also 1.5 mil per year.

Reaction Score
“@SIPeteThamel: High ranking Texas official said Texas and Charlie Strong have agreed to terms. Five years, $5 mill per. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...ie-strong-agrees-texas-longhorns-head-coach/”

And...

“@BlueDevilLair: I can report that #Duke head coach David Cutcliffe has been contacted by Louisville to replace Charlie Strong http://duke. /Article/Duke-head-coach-David-Cutcliffe-was-contacted-by-Louisville-169427”

LMAO!

Cutcliffe should stay at Duke. He's got something going on there. They'll erect a statue very shorty if he keeps winning. If Stanford can do it, Duke can do it.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Huh? If that was the case Texas would offer him half his current salary for the honor of being their coach. Yes it's prestigious but it's also 1.5 mil per year.

No they can't. Because if they do the old "discount strategy", they are taking away from their own prestige. They know that. Most high-end product producers know that. You can price a Lamborghini for less to move more units and get more on the road, but it takes away from the mystery of it all. The price tag is just an affirmation of the prestige...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
No they can't. Because if they do the old "discount strategy", they are taking away from their own prestige. They know that. Most high-end product producers know that. You can price a Lamborghini for less to move more units and get more on the road, but it takes away from the mystery of it all. The price tag is just an affirmation of the prestige...
Whatever. He's going for prestige and a big raise.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Cutcliffe should stay at Duke. He's got something going on there. They'll erect a statue very shorty if he keeps winning. If Stanford can do it, Duke can do it.

EXACTLY! That's what I'm talking about. Cutcliffe is essentially on his way to becoming legend at that school. That has to be worth more than a 33% or even a 50% raise....at least it is to me. Once you are in the 1.5 to 2 million range per year, what the hell is the difference anyways...

(smart answer: 50%)

Reaction Score
Actually, it's higher. It's 3.7 million (base pay only):

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/01/04/texas-coach-charlie-strong-louisville/4315315/

And I know, I know...what's 1.3 million between friends? But still, to be a legend in an area; priceless. Geno Auriemma already has two area restaurants (Mohegan, Storrs), and Calhoun used to have the bar "Coach's" in Hartford. Buildings and fields get named after you. Your name becomes synonymous with the university (like Wooden and UCLA, or like Bowden and FSU). How much is something like that worth? To me, it's not worth the 33% raise...
Thats just too much money to leave on the table. Bridgewater is leaving, and he is not going to go 24-2, in the ACC over any two year stretch.

Reaction Score
I think Charlie Strong makes Texas and immediate favorite in the Big 12. He appears to be a great recruiter and Louisville has played well under him the last three season.

Reaction Score
FDNY99 said:
Medic there is ZERO chance Jurich can retain Strong if Texas decides he is their guy. It will be interesting to see what Jurich does if Strong leaves.

We know he won't hire a search firm.

Reaction Score
Jurich is hitting Facebook pretty hard. He just sent a friends request to Lembo.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Texas better hope that the deal with Strong gets signed.

Otherwise they have lost complete control of the narrative and the selection process.

Huge difference between how Manual handled the process and how Texas' new AD is handling it. (With the huge caveat that Texas has about 10,000 boosters who feel they are important enough to be "in the loop" making it much more difficult to control what is leaked to the media).

It does call to mind the article that was linked here about a month ago about the new AD at Texas. It was from a Portland area journalist that covered him when he was running the TrailBlazers. The writer stated that no matter how Texas did on the field the guy was a buffoon as an administrator. Seems to be on target so far.

Reaction Score
That job is a beast. Expectations are out of control, and if Charlie Strong turns them down, it will be the biggest diss since RichRod left Bama at the altar.

Reaction Score
“@ericcrawford: Charlie Strong is meeting with #UofL president Jim Ramsey and AD Tom Jurich right now.”

Even the Ville beat writers/reporters were just "talking aloud on twitter" last night hoping to be right.:

rickbozich10:21am via Twitter for iPhone
Charlie Strong and Tom Jurich hope to meet today. Jurich in Colorado on vacation. Commercial travel issues. Private plane might get him.

Must have been Skyping again ;)

Reaction Score
ChipBrownOB2:48pm via TweetDeck
#Texas is good w/ Charlie Strong wanting to talk to #Louisville AD Tom Jurich before any next step. Jurich traveling. Might take all day.

“@CardChronicle: Tom Jurich is still in Colorado, which means it's doubtful anything is resolved tonight. Sit back and enjoy Louisville/Rutgers basketball.”

On the limb...

“@ChipBrownOB: #Texas officials confident agreement with Charlie Strong nearly done. Announcement may not come until Sunday - presser likely on Monday.”

Reaction Score
"Hello Coach Petrino, this is Tom Jurich..." :)

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
“@CardChronicle: Tom Jurich is still in Colorado, which means it's doubtful anything is resolved tonight.”
They don't have phones in Colorado ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate