OT Watsco Center | The Boneyard

OT Watsco Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Sitting waiting for the U of Miami Law School graduation of my nephew being held at the basketball arena. What an old dump. Old uncomfortable seats. No matter complaints about Gampel or Hartford, they are deep luxury in comparison.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It’s not even that old….I think early 2000s.

Semi-related note - went out with friends last night and their daughter goes to U of MIa I. They pay $92,000 a year.

Like, no. No, no, no.

Reaction Score
The building is almost 20 years old. I was there once in the first season (2003) to see UConn play Miami. It was known as the Convocation Center back then. It wasn't even completely finished. The City of Coral Gables wouldn't let them install all of the seats because they thought large crowds would cause traffic problems! Obviously, the city council knew nothing about UM basketball.

In any case, I attended the infamous game where a mediocre Canes team got 40 pts out of Darius Rice including a 2 pointer at the buzzer to beat us. Happened right in front of me. Not sure how we lost that one, but it seemed to me that whenever the team played in a warm climate, they lost more often than not. Distractions?

I don't miss those CT winters.

Reaction Score
The building is almost 20 years old. I was there once in the first season (2003) to see UConn play Miami. It was known as the Convocation Center back then. It wasn't even completely finished. The City of Coral Gables wouldn't let them install all of the seats because they thought large crowds would cause traffic problems! Obviously, the city council knew nothing about UM basketball.

In any case, I attended the infamous game where a mediocre Canes team got 40 pts out of Darius Rice including a 2 pointer at the buzzer to beat us. Happened right in front of me. Not sure how we lost that one, but it seemed to me that whenever the team played in a warm climate, they lost more often than not. Distractions?

I don't miss those CT winters.
You can't paint a fence in Coral Gables without going through hell and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom