OT: Veterans Day Today | The Boneyard

OT: Veterans Day Today

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I want to thank all the veterans that served this great country. Be it Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, or the Coast Guard, we are all family. On a side note, as I'm writing this I am eating a free Little Caesars Lunch Combo, while chasing it down with a free Starbucks Iced Coffee, after having a free Denny's breakfast, getting my free semi annual haircut and getting a free car wash. Stay save, enjoy the freebees, and again thanks for your service, be it active, retired, or served but didn't retire.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Proud to be a US Navy Vietnam era veteran that completed 8 Poseidon C3 patrols aboard the USS Simon Bolivar, SSBN 641G. I was honorably discharged as a MT2(SS).
Without Fear, Without Reproach.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Independence Day Summer GIF by Creative Courage
Proud US Army veteran.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
cbe3141956c8770f3877e37c67525ae3.jpg

war blows, yet eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
thanks all.
please consider giving a contribution to the homeless and wounded warrior groups. remember the past by helping those present. today would be a great day to do that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I want to thank all the veterans that served this great country. Be it Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, or the Coast Guard, we are all family. On a side note, as I'm writing this I am eating a free Little Caesars Lunch Combo, while chasing it down with a free Starbucks Iced Coffee, after having a free Denny's breakfast, getting my free semi annual haircut and getting a free car wash. Stay save, enjoy the freebees, and again thanks for your service, be it active, retired, or served but didn't retire.
Thanks @MMSGRET... As a 30year Coast Guard Veteran myself, I Thank You, and all those who served with honor in support of our Country. ... especially my brothers and sisters here on the BY.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
My father was very proud of his WWII service. He didn't join any veteran's organizations except for the specific 388th Bomb Group Association (the unit he was in) which was formed in 1949 and is still going (although they seem to have also added their corresponding groups from later wars, but one of the members of their board of directors just passed at age 102 so a few are still alive).

In 1969 they celebrated their 20th year with a return to England, tour of the old base ruins, and an American Veteran's Cemetery. A wonderful opportunity for 12 year old me to meet these folks who fought for our world. A friend's father is well into his 90s and was part of the D-Day landings.

Thank you all veterans.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Our family has an history of military service. My father and father-in-law both served in the Navy during WWII. I had an uncle who served in the Army during WWII. My wife's uncle (in his mid 80's) served for 20+ years in the Navy. My oldest brother-in-law served in the Army Medical Corp.

Today we have our youngest son serving in the Navy. He will be a 20 year man. Part of his reason for enlisting in the Navy was our family history.

Reaction Score
Great grandfather, Union Army, Shenandoah campaigns protecting the B&O railroad.
Uncle, US Army Paratrooper - Japanese occupation
Father, USMC - Korean War, stateside posting at Camp Lejeune, New River MCAS - Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighter
Uncle, USMC in county, Vietnam War
Cousin, US Army MP posted to Germany, Cold War
Cousin, Captain, US Navy
Great Aunt, US Navy posted in DC during WWII and into the Cold War

Reaction Score
Thank you, veterans!

My father and uncles served in WWII. My father was a Navy man, and then after the war joined the Air Force as a staff doctor. I was born on an base in Texas and we moved around a bit.

By a quirk of time, I missed the draft. As it happens, I have written several novels about the Navy, one of which was set on the USS Bonhomme Richard. As part of the research, my wife and daughter and I visited the base at Sasebo, Japan and were invited to take a tour of the 'Bonny Dick.' This was a great moment for me.

Reaction Score
I actually had to go to Groton to work on some classified electronic gear twice during my time in the Coast Guard. Would have been 71-72 time frame. I was stationed in Manasquan, NJ in the electronic/Telephone shop from 1970 -1973. Visited just about every lighthouse from Groton to Fortesque during that time.

Reaction Score
I have three signs on my lawn separated about forty feet apart. The first is THANK the next is YOU and the third is VETS.....
I know why I am able to speak English is due to the sacrifices of those who protected our and many other countries freedom.
Thank you veterans of any and all conflicts. There are so many situations around the globe and so many that do not realize so.
Heart out to not only to the veteran but also their family's who obviously had to endure extreme anxiety during any tour of duty.
That and to all that gave all. May they be RIP.............

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ted920

Top Bottom