OT: Vaughns Public House | The Boneyard

OT: Vaughns Public House

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm sure many of you have gone there. It's one of my favorite, if not my favorite, restaurants in the city. Their homemade Irish creme is to die for. I wish I could buy it by the gallon.

Reaction Score
Had breakfast there this morning before the game....2 Black & Tans.. :)
Place was packed..
What time did they open? I was going to go before the game but the website said they opened at 1130.

Reaction Score
I go to the games with a group of 6-8 guys in Hartford. We used to try to grab some food before the games and it usually ended up in a fail.

I am surprised on the amount of restaurants on game nights that are unprepared. I can't believe with only 10 to 20 big events in the city that the people who manage these places are not ready on event night. I hate showing up at a place that has a Tuesday special, but then after the first beer or a happy hour appetizer revoke that when they realize it is a game night. Or you get there at 5 order food and they get overwhelmed by the crowd and you get your food an hour later and have to rush into the game because they can't process your tab in the rush.

Hartford needs it's restaurants to be ready to deal with the crowds. Plenty of staff, a quick game night menu of 5 to 8 things to get people in and out. It just isn't there.

On game night I usually just bring an extra sandwhich to work and head to a drinks only bar for a few before the game. If someone can point out another option I would be grateful.

Reaction Score
Beerfan is spot on.....I am part of his 6-8 guys group. His story is exactly why we've ended up at The Rockinghorse Cafe for beers before all games...quick service, good beer selection....good prices. Done.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Beerfan is spot on.....I am part of his 6-8 guys group. His story is exactly why we've ended up at The Rockinghorse Cafe for beers before all games...quick service, good beer selection....good prices. Done.

I love Vaughn's, but the place isn't set-up for packed, pre-game fun (unless you get a seat at the bar early). For me, Vaughn's is more of a pre-Wolfpack, Hartford Stage place.

Reaction Score
Johnny the owner is a great guy. I'm at this pub more than I care to admit. The food is underrated great. Best Irish pub fare you'll find in my opinion. Please keep packing place because if this one ever closes I'll be forced to spend a lot more time at home.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I go to the games with a group of 6-8 guys in Hartford. We used to try to grab some food before the games and it usually ended up in a fail.

I am surprised on the amount of restaurants on game nights that are unprepared. I can't believe with only 10 to 20 big events in the city that the people who manage these places are not ready on event night. I hate showing up at a place that has a Tuesday special, but then after the first beer or a happy hour appetizer revoke that when they realize it is a game night. Or you get there at 5 order food and they get overwhelmed by the crowd and you get your food an hour later and have to rush into the game because they can't process your tab in the rush.

Hartford needs it's restaurants to be ready to deal with the crowds. Plenty of staff, a quick game night menu of 5 to 8 things to get people in and out. It just isn't there.

On game night I usually just bring an extra sandwhich to work and head to a drinks only bar for a few before the game. If someone can point out another option I would be grateful.
@beerfan...remember that hot dog joint on the corner. 10 minutes after opening he was so overwhelmed he was giving out free dinners.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@beerfan...remember that hot dog joint on the corner. 10 minutes acter opening he was so overwhelmed he was giving out free dinners.

That would be Woodie's at the end of Pratt St. Attached to the Fish Tank bar right next door....We used to hit that place religiously for a few years before every game. 6 or 8 of us....Let's just say he needs to work on his customer service skills and leave it at that. We will never go back there,

Reaction Score
Vaughn's was packed after the game. I got 3 rounds of beer and a few apps and was out within an hour.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
That would be Woodie's at the end of Pratt St. Attached to the Fish Tank bar right next door....We used to hit that place religiously for a few years before every game. 6 or 8 of us....Let's just say he needs to work on his customer service skills and leave it at that. We will never go back there,
Nope. We met at Woodys once, right? This place was right across the street...west of xl

Reaction Score
Johnny the owner is a great guy. I'm at this pub more than I care to admit. The food is underrated great. Best Irish pub fare you'll find in my opinion. Please keep packing place because if this one ever closes I'll be forced to spend a lot more time at home.
I couldn't agree with you more. The Shepherd's Pie and Farmhouse Pie are out of this world good. I have no idea what he seasons his beef with, but it is incredible. Also, like I said in the initial posting, the irish creme is ridiculously good. I would use it as milk for my cereal.

Reaction Score
Nope. We met at Woodys once, right? This place was right across the street...west of xl

Okay....that was the Hartford Room which had East Coast Dog in back. He lasted a year or so. I was thinking about the previous hot dog place we used to hit (woodies)....the Hartford Room would have been cool if he had made it work. Perfect location on the corner of Asylum and Ann St.

Reaction Score
What time did they open? I was going to go before the game but the website said they opened at 1130.
they opened at 10am...called the night before to make sure...by 10:30, it was 3 deep at the bar..

Reaction Score
What happened to The Federal for pre-gamers? Lots of good Yard meetups there back in the day.

Reaction Score
What happened to The Federal for pre-gamers? Lots of good Yard meetups there back in the day.

Yeah liked the Fed good pre game stop for sure. Met alex first there and began a couple years stop there not sure what happened. Good news though one of the bartenders ended up being the head pro at The Orchards in South Hadley and getting to know him at the Fed (lots of purchases and good tips) gave me the opportunity to play that private course a lot until he left recently.

Reaction Score
I couldn't agree with you more. The Shepherd's Pie and Farmhouse Pie are out of this world good. I have no idea what he seasons his beef with, but it is incredible. Also, like I said in the initial posting, the irish creme is ridiculously good. I would use it as milk for my cereal.

I was going to comment that the Shepherd's Pie is really good, but you beat me to it. Excellent pub fare.

Reaction Score
Johnny Vaughan was my middle school soccer coach - well before he opened the bar. The guy was a great soccer coach, good all-around guy and one of the funniest dudes I've ever met.

Reaction Score

I've hit the Fed a few times after games in recent years. I still park on the street down their on Hoadley Pl. But you can't count on the Federal opening at 10:30 AM anymore for noontime games like the old days.

The Fed was pretty much packed after the G-town game Saturday since it was barely snowing and fans stuck around to celebrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom