OT: Usain Bolt... | The Boneyard

OT: Usain Bolt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
to try the 100 and 200....and I presume the 4 by 1 relay in Rio in 2016. I think he will be about 30.
He ran great times in the 1 and 2 in London...not quite to the world record levels he set in China in 2008. By 2016 his countryman Yohan Blake may be ready to take him down. Bolt said he wouldn't be trying any new events.....like the long jump or the 400? Too bad about the 400....with his length of stride he would be dynamite. He has often said the training for that event is too hard.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i wonder what he will be like in 4 years. He's the best by a wide margin right now. At 30 it will be interesting to see if anyone can beat him.

Reaction Score
It would be nice if, over the next three years, he dipped his fast feet into the 400m waters, because I, also, would like to see him pursue the 400. As much as I like the shorter sprints, the 400 has been my favorite since Alonzo Babers of the Air Force Academy won the Olympic 400m in 1984.

Reaction Score
to try the 100 and 200....and I presume the 4 by 1 relay in Rio in 2016. I think he will be about 30.
He ran great times in the 1 and 2 in London...not quite to the world record levels he set in China in 2008. By 2016 his countryman Yohan Blake may be ready to take him down. Bolt said he wouldn't be trying any new events.....like the long jump or the 400? Too bad about the 400....with his length of stride he would be dynamite. He has often said the training for that event is too hard.

Yeah...sprinters all vanish when the mile relay comes around...

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Blake did beat Bolt in both and 1 and 2 just before the Olympics...with excellent times.
He is going north...Bolt imo will be going south by Rio....if I had to bet, I would go with Blake in both.

Reaction Score
Similar but different, did anyone see the ESPN movie on Ben Johnson last night? Wow, eye opening in many ways.

That 1988 Seoul 100 meters, with Johnson, Carl Lewis, Christie, etc....almost all of them have been banned for illegal drugs somewhere down the line.

Johnson's doctor ordered so much of this horse serum he used, the medial lab thought he was a vet!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I saw a mention in the Courant today that Bolt is considering the long jump and the 4oo. That is a direct contradiction of a report in the paper of a few days ago where
he said he would not try any new events. I think he has a much better shot in the 4 than in any other event in 2016...and could well set the world record at some point....he would then hold the wr in the 1,2 and 4...not sure that has ever been done. Greatest sprinter of all time would be his moniker for sure.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Similar but different, did anyone see the ESPN movie on Ben Johnson last night? Wow, eye opening in many ways.

That 1988 Seoul 100 meters, with Johnson, Carl Lewis, Christie, etc....almost all of them have been banned for illegal drugs somewhere down the line.

Johnson's doctor ordered so much of this horse serum he used, the medial lab thought he was a vet!
Just wait. Look at the times that got put up in the 100M finals this year. Ben Johnson ran a 9.79 'roided up beyond belief, and four guys ran a 9.8 or below in London. Sure, they're all clean.

I honestly don't care that much. Watching people do amazing things athletically is fun. Why not allow them to use PEDs if they're adults and aware of the risks (the East German doping program is another matter entirely)? It's really the sanctimony and inconsistency that bothers me more than anything.

Reaction Score
Just wait. Look at the times that got put up in the 100M finals this year. Ben Johnson ran a 9.79 'roided up beyond belief, and four guys ran a 9.8 or below in London. Sure, they're all clean.

I honestly don't care that much. Watching people do amazing things athletically is fun. Why not allow them to use PEDs if they're adults and aware of the risks (the East German doping program is another matter entirely)? It's really the sanctimony and inconsistency that bothers me more than anything.

What bothers me is not knowing who's using and who isn't...takes a bit of the fun out if a "user" beats a non-user.

Reaction Score
In World Class Sprinting you lose steps quickly. All the youth coming up wanting to be the
World Fastest Human.
Who knows with him though. He has a couple steps to give eh !

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Saw that Dish, shocking, makes you wonder about how do you really know who is clean.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
In World Class Sprinting you lose steps quickly. All the youth coming up wanting to be the
World Fastest Human.
Who knows with him though. He has a couple steps to give eh !

-- which to me makes the career of Merlene Ottey all the more remarkable! That woman is superhuman.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It would be nice if, over the next three years, he dipped his fast feet into the 400m waters, because I, also, would like to see him pursue the 400. As much as I like the shorter sprints, the 400 has been my favorite since Alonzo Babers of the Air Force Academy won the Olympic 400m in 1984.

My favorite to watch is the 200m ...... still plenty of raw speed involved but not so dependent on the start.

I loved watching Felix win the 200m this year. Great race, and she has such a beautiful style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom