OT: US Tennis Open... | The Boneyard

OT: US Tennis Open...

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
...begins on the 27th for 2 weeks. A new wrinkle is that there will now be 2 stadia available for
night matches, with the belief that this will mitigate against delays from afternoon matches running long.

There's extra excitement, for the Open is celebrating its 50th anniversary.

All the 14 active prior winners are here, including wild cards that have been given to Wawrinka, Azaranka and Kuznetzova.
All 14 active US Open champions to compete in 2018

The seeding isn't available yet, but the world rankings give us a clue.
wta rankings - Buscar con Google

rankings atp 2018 - Buscar con Google

More to come.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No sense picking a winner in the Women's game.

Jokovic should roll on the Men's side. He just dismantled Federer 6-4, 6-4 at Cincinnati and was never really challenged.
And he can play better. I expect him to have a run of Grand Slams.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The Big 4 are back in the men's game, but they don't necessarily come as equals. Roger lost in the W quarters in a very competitive 5-setter to Kevin Anderson, and he recently lost to Novak in straight sets which was less competitive. I'll remind you that Roger is 36 and although in great shape, I for one think he is finished as a Major victor. And he has not won the US since 2009.
Andy is recently back from a long injury hiatus, so it's hard to be optimistic about his chances here.

At the W Novak won a 5-setter over Rafa. Now Novak is ranked 6th, cause he had a break in playing with an injured elbow, but he's playing like a # 1 now. He is seeded 6th, and the draw won't be provided until today sometime, so we don't know what round he will meet Rafa, if at all.

Like Roger, the Sisters are trying to resist the calendar. Venus made the 2017 W final, but got bounced this year in the 3rd round, so she fell out of the top ten. While Venus wants to stay active through the 2020 Olympics, fans must have their doubts.
Serena made the W final, but reported she was too emotional in that contest and did not play well. She reported she just found out then that the fellow who shot her sister had just been released from prison, and that was hard to take. Although ranked 17, many think she can win here.
Simona Halep had a good beginning of the year, runner-up to the Woz at The Aussie and breaking through at the French. But she flamed out in round 3 at the W, so we'll see. Angelique Kerber was the conqueror of Serena at the W. Now Angelique went quiet for awhile, but apparently no longer.
And Sloane? Well, she was last year's champ here and made the French finals, but got bounced in the opening round at W and the Aussie. Is she ready nonetheless?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
And now it begins...
There's an oddity in one of the 2 7pm matches, with wildcard Azaranka going up vs. another unranked player.
We probably will see little of that contest, cause Serena is playing at the same time.
We do get a 1st round match between two previous winners, as Venus squares off with Kuznetsova about 2 pm.
The women:
us open schedule - Buscar con Google

The most interesting daytime men's match has wildcard Wawrinka vs. #8 Dimitrov.
And besides the Nadal match, following the ladies at night, Juan del Potro is on the other court, both estimated as 8:15 starts. However that is unrealistic. The 7pm ladies matches won't happen until long after 7, cause of lengthy opening day celebrations.

The men:
us open schedule - Buscar con Google

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Kanepi leading 1 set over Halep 6-2 and down a break 3-1 but Halep just broke back and looks like Kanepi is losing her nerve. See Halep escaping in 3 sets.

Update: Every time I try to prognosticate I blow it.

Halep loses in straight sets 6-2 6-4 after tying up the second set at 4-4. No upset is an upset on the women's side.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Venus Williams survives 3 setter against Kuznetsekov. Venus could not hold serve in 3rd set but Kuznetsekov was worse. Venius will not go deep unless she plays alot better. She was up 4-1 in the second set and gave it up.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
It's been a looooong time since either Svet or Venus won the Open. She's up 4-1 in the 2nd, but I know better than to relax, for I've too often witnessed her walkabouts. Sure enough she started missing strokes that she did not earlier.It took Venus 3 hours to put the Russian vet away. And to a fan, as I am, I exult and despair as I watch. She played a fine first set, coming back after her second service game was broken by taking 4 in a row and coming on top 6-3.
So she gives away the 2nd set 5-7, looking weary in my eyes.
She starts the 3rd set 4-1 and that's uh oh time for me, waiting for the repeat crash. Pheew.
Venus was pretty good at the net, winning about 2/3s of her moving forward.
She now stands at 20 US Opens played and 20 1st round matches won.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Among the men Roger , Cilic and Novak are in action. TV coverage begins at noon.
The guys:
us open tennis 2018 - Buscar con Google

You'll notice that Madison Keys is on one late night court and Maria S on the other.
Daytime favorites include Ostapenko, Kvitová, Kerber and the Woz.

You locals may know you are heading for a 96 degree day, and NYC will be close to that. The heat may decide more than one match.

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I enjoyed Patty Schnyder throughout the aughts, and then she retired bout 6 years ago. The fiery redhead with the loopy strokes emerged to pair up with Maria S. last night. She lost in straight sets, but forced Maria to a 2nd set tie breaker. Well done, old lady.
Also at night Madison Keys pulled out a straight set win.

Remember Monica Puig, the reigning Olympic champ? Unseeded and playing another unseeded, she walloped her opponent
without losing a game. She gives Maria-devastated Puerto Ricans a light through the clouds. But she's next up tomorrow vs. a 6 seed, so we'll see.

Poor Coco continues on a downward spiral, holding on to #24 but bounced in round 1.

All the expected winners among the men came through. Heat had its effects as Cilic's opponent retired early.
The heat remains today too.

TV comes in again at noon.
Here's the men.

And ladies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Well, despite the heat, the 38 year old does it again, winner over Camila Giorgi in straight sets. After Venus took a 5-4 lead, the Italian kept her composure and tied things at 5. But she became unsettled at 5-6, and Venus made her pay.
Since Venus has long been my favorite player, I shall now pretend to be a narcissist and claim that her longevity exists for me.
So she is likely to get Serena on Friday for most likely a night match.

And a few minutes before Sloane also took care of business, but she needed 3. Still finished strongly at 6-2.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
As he himself predicted Andy Murray was not quite ready for prime time. That does not necessarily mean
now there's just a Big 3. Two previous champs look to be fully healed and playing well, so the favorites better not overlook del Potro nor Wawrinka. We get Roger in daytime and Novak tonight.

us open tennis 2018 - Google Search

Lots of famous ladies go at it --Keys, Kerber, Kvitová (Egad! the KKK) And separately Maria S and the Woz tonight.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
P.S. Yesterday a 22 year old Czech, ranked 202, knocked out Garbine Muguruza in 3 sets. Karolina Muchova
apparently played a befuddling game, particularly for one in her first Major.

And did you read that French honchos have banned Serena's cat suit come the next French Open?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
P.S. Yesterday a 22 year old Czech, ranked 202, knocked out Garbine Muguruza in 3 sets. Karolina Muchova
apparently played a befuddling game, particularly for one in her first Major.

And did you read that French honchos have banned Serena's cat suit come the next French Open?

It is funny that the French who make fun of the US for being prudes would object to this.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Such an embarrassment of riches. I get my favorite athlete vs. her Li'l Sis at 7. I get my favorite UConnite vs. the EvilnonUConnites in DC at 8. Be still my heart.
Showers expected in Flushing Meadow today.

Here's a first--Nick Kyrgios (up vs. Roger tomorrow) was doing his usual walkabout, when the chair ump came down to encourage that he be more present. Then Nick, who had been losing, rights himself for the win. Controversy ensues.

Another flameout--#2 Woz dispatched by an unseeded in 2.

Today's contests have an interesting Stephens-Azaranka daytime highlight, as well as 2 seeded folks, Mertens-Strycova.

The women:

Among the men, Verdasco, who eliminated Murray, meets del Potro, and it's Wawrinka vs. Raonic.

The Men:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Here's a first--Nick Kyrgios (up vs. Roger tomorrow) was doing his usual walkabout, when the chair ump came down to encourage that he be more present. Then Nick, who had been losing, rights himself for the win. Controversy ensues.

Kyrgios is an embarrassment to sports with the chair ump a close second. It would be great if Federer blew him out but I doubt the Aussie would care. :mad:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Sloane sent Vika to the showers in straight sets. Vika will get back to form, just not yet.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Rafa is through to the round of 16. But boy did he have his hands full, full that is, of a young 6'6" Russian Khachanov.
A top player does not want a 4 hour, 25 minute match in week one. The Russian wins set 1, 7-5, but loses the 2nd by identical score. That's 12 games and it's only 1-1. Rafa comes through in 2 tie breakers, as the kid never folds. That's 26 more games.
I can't imagine we won't hear more of this Russian. Meanwhile Rafa gets a day off.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Serena crushes Venus 6-1, 6-2. Serena's service game was elite. If she serves like that for the rest of the tournament, no one will beat her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Kyrigos vs Federer. Kyrigos is good. :mad::mad:
His serve is unhitable. 4 service games so far, Federer only got 1 pt.

OMG. I turn away for a few minutes and the universe shifts. Federer breaks Kyrigos and takes set 1 6-4.
Happy but Head bangHead bangHead bangHead bang

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kyrigos vs Federer. Kyrigos is good. :mad::mad:
His serve is unhitable. 4 service games so far, Federer only got 1 pt.

OMG. I turn away for a few minutes and the universe shifts. Federer breaks Kyrigos and takes set 1 6-4.
Happy but Head bangHead bangHead bangHead bang

When Kyrgios is good he is very very good when he is bad he is horrid.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Serena has her own fashion line. Don't understand what she's been wearing during her US Open matches. Don't find them attractive at all. Don't see them being a success if she adds them to her fashion line. But I'm a male, what do I know. ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Serena has her own fashion line. Don't understand what she's been wearing during her US Open matches. Don't find them attractive at all. Don't see them being a success if she adds them to her fashion line. But I'm a male, what do I know. ;)

It is strategy to distract the opponents. ;)

But seriously, she is playing so well, it is her tournament to lose. Right now dusting Konepi 4-0 in set 1 with 2 breaks and not even a hint of challenge on her serve.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom