OT - UMass whacks Kellogg | The Boneyard

OT - UMass whacks Kellogg

Reaction Score
Another good assistant though, some of them just can't cut it as the HC. Good guy but it was time for them to make that move. I'm guessing if he wasn't from Springfield it wouldn't have taken this long.

He does have a couple real nice young players in the program right now.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
That should be the last connection to their glory days. They kept waiting for the improvement that never arrived with Kellogg. Hmm.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I saw a news blurb stating he was the highest paid state employee in MA. That just ended.

Reaction Score
This is going to sound so car wash of me...

I interviewed their Hoops Manager for an internship and spoke to one of their major boosters the other day and the story was basically put together for all this. Originally they were going to give Kellogg another year with the recruiting class largely because they couldn't afford the buy out on his contract anyway, so it didn't make much sense to kick him to the curb, even though the AD would rather scrimp the money out of the hoops program to go to the football pot. He was a AAD at Ga Tech so he's football or bust.

Anyway, I interviewed the hoops manager for an internship with us about 2 weeks ago and I asked him how everyone was doing up there (I knew they had some real locker room issues there too) - and he said the team was a mess. That Lou Roe had basically just disappeared and no one knew where he was. He said a bunch of the stud freshmen they brought in were already talking about transferring anyway behind Kellogg's back. So I called the booster (he's a close friend of mine) - apparently Roe is getting sued for sexual harassment. But in the lawsuit, she basically names Derek Kellogg in it too - claiming that he knew what was going on and didn't do anything about it. I've met Roe a TON of times, met his kid Samir, etc. Always seemed like a good dude. Come to find out he's got like six kids with different women and the house he's in is basically a booster's house that's letting him live there for free. But as soon as the administration caught wind of it obviously Roe was put on paid leave - thus the disappearance. Then DK being named in the lawsuit, etc.. and I mean it's probably just going to be a mess.

Knowing half that athletic department - the new guys have been hoping for this in all likelihood. Bamford's apparently been riding Kellogg like a donkey since he got there. At his money it's probably justified, but alas.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score

I interviewed their Hoops Manager for an internship and spoke to one of their major boosters the other day and the story was basically put together for all this. Originally they were going to give Kellogg another year with the recruiting class largely because they couldn't afford the buy out on his contract anyway, so it didn't make much sense to kick him to the curb, even though the AD would rather scrimp the money out of the hoops program to go to the football pot. He was a AAD at Ga Tech so he's football or bust.

Anyway, I interviewed the hoops manager for an internship with us about 2 weeks ago and I asked him how everyone was doing up there (I knew they had some real locker room issues there too) - and he said the team was a mess. That Lou Roe had basically just disappeared and no one knew where he was. He said a bunch of the stud freshmen they brought in were already talking about transferring anyway behind Kellogg's back. So I called the booster (he's a close friend of mine) - apparently Roe is getting sued for sexual harassment. But in the lawsuit, she basically names Derek Kellogg in it too - claiming that he knew what was going on and didn't do anything about it. I've met Roe a TON of times, met his kid Samir, etc. Always seemed like a good dude. Come to find out he's got like six kids with different women and the house he's in is basically a booster's house that's letting him live there for free. But as soon as the administration caught wind of it obviously Roe was put on paid leave - thus the disappearance. Then DK being named in the lawsuit, etc.. and I mean it's probably just going to be a mess.

Knowing half that athletic department - the new guys have been hoping for this in all likelihood. Bamford's apparently been riding Kellogg like a donkey since he got there. At his money it's probably justified, but alas.
It seems like you haven't made it as a coach until you're involved in a sexual lawsuit of some kind.

Reaction Score
Amherst College has a far better campus than UMass.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
That should be the last connection to their glory days. They kept waiting for the improvement that never arrived with Kellogg. Hmm.

The job isn't attractive, and throwing money at a proven coach won't be enough. They'll likely have a long string of three year coaches before they improve, if they improve.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Any college that changes its mascot's name because it's offensive, is dead to me. So what if good ole Lord Jeffrey whacked a few Native Americans? It was 300 years ago. They'd be long dead by now even if Lord Jeffrey hadn't given them tainted blankets.

And Springfield College will be the Chiefs to me until my last day on Earth.

Hey, wait a minute ... Maybe Amherst could name their mascot the "Indians" to honor those Lord Jeff killed with the tainted blankets.
Amherst isn't the Lord Jeffs anymore? I know UMass used to be the Indians way back in the day.

Reaction Score
Any college that changes its mascot's name because it's offensive, is dead to me. So what if good ole Lord Jeffrey whacked a few Native Americans? It was 300 years ago. They'd be long dead by now even if Lord Jeffrey hadn't given them tainted blankets.

And Springfield College will be the Chiefs to me until my last day on Earth.

Hey, wait a minute ... Maybe Amherst could name their mascot the "Indians" to honor those Lord Jeff killed with the tainted blankets.
Weird coming from an educator.

Reaction Score
DHG: UMass athletic director Ryan Bamford outlines search process for new basketball coach

>>This is the third major search in just over a year for Bamford, who said he’d look at candidates with or without head coaching experience. A year ago he replaced the ice hockey and women’s basketball coaches.

Bamford said he expected to offer whomever he hires a five-year contract with a salary of $800,000-$900,000 plus bonuses. To counteract Kellogg’s buyout, he said the contract would be higher on the back end. “We’ll have some bonus structure in there. I want create something where the next person has the ability to make money on success,” Bamford said. “We can put some retention bonuses in there to get the value of the contract up.”<<

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Actually UMass was the Redmen back in the day, not the Indians.
Even worse. I remember the students were petitioning to get rid of the Minuteman because he was a white guy with a gun.

Reaction Score

Lou Roe, Derek Kellogg among four current, former UMass basketball staff members named in civil lawsuit

Reaction Score
I'll never understand why Al Skinner was blackballed from the college game.

Yup, there was a really good article that came out a couple years ago about him having to essentially be gifted the Bryant assistant job by one of his former players/friends. Those BC teams were tough and BC has certainly seen how bad things can be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom