OT: UConn jumps ahead of Syracuse and Pittsburgh in US News | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn jumps ahead of Syracuse and Pittsburgh in US News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
LOL, BC was in the 40s a few years ago. They have jumped pretty high... for some reason. They were in the 30s, then fell 10 spots, now they are back up. If I were Rochester, I would build a $200 million football stadium and join the MAC, just so guidance counselors could get a clue.

Rochester garners double your suggested stadium funding yearly in research grants, with royalties and worldwide output recognition that will always exceed what guidance counselors might imagine from a "University of" attached to a medium city that lacks glamour. Then again, by spearheading the University Athletic Association, it aligned itself with Chicago, Carnegie Mellon, Wash U., Emory, Brandeis, NYU & Case Western to create the only athletic conference in which all schools are also AAU members.

Combined UAA football stadium capacity is almost 17,000; but only Carnegie Mellon and Brandeis have endowments of less than $1 billion.

Reaction Score
Rochester garners double your suggested stadium funding yearly in research grants, with royalties and worldwide output recognition that will always exceed what guidance counselors might imagine from a "University of" attached to a medium city that lacks glamour. Then again, by spearheading the University Athletic Association, it aligned itself with Chicago, Carnegie Mellon, Wash U., Emory, Brandeis, NYU & Case Western to create the only athletic conference in which all schools are also AAU members.

Combined UAA football stadium capacity is almost 17,000; but only Carnegie Mellon and Brandeis have endowments of less than $1 billion.

I was just joking about this. The guidance counselors have it ranked pretty low, which hurts them overall. Then again, when I worked there, I had a prominent Duke prof. come in for a visit, and he thought it was a public school.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I was just joking about this. The guidance counselors have it ranked pretty low, which hurts them overall. Then again, when I worked there, I had a prominent Duke prof. come in for a visit, and he thought it was a public school.

Goes with the name, but they decided against renaming it for Eastman (like the medical and music schools) around the time that the athletic conference originated.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
after NC St beat us in MSG last year, a Woldpack fan was walking up the aisle yelling "safety school".

Two things come to mind
1) if true, why would anyone be so classless, especially when at an athletic event
2) low information individual, since UConn is (and was) ranked higher

all so weird

Reaction Score
after NC St beat us in MSG last year, a Woldpack fan was walking up the aisle yelling "safety school".

Two things come to mind
1) if true, why would anyone be so classless, especially when at an athletic event
2) low information individual, since UConn is (and was) ranked higher

all so weird

Safety school is a common chant among the smart schools (ie not NC State). Also things like, "that's ok, you'll be working for us someday" "SAT" and "If you can't go to an Ivy, go to Penn/Cornell/Brown" (H, Y, P, C, D are usually exempt from that one).

There was also an old chant from UNC or Duke fans (probably Duke) - "if you can't go to college, go to State - if you can't go to State, go to jail."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom