OT: UConn jumps ahead of Syracuse and Pittsburgh in US News | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn jumps ahead of Syracuse and Pittsburgh in US News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is Uconn "only" $12k a year for in-state? I thought it was much higher.

$12k is very expensive. The national average is $7.8k. The SUNY's for instance are still around $6k.

Reaction Score
You can smell the fear Miami and BCU have with UConn from this chart and from upstaters posts.

LOL, BC was in the 40s a few years ago. They have jumped pretty high... for some reason. They were in the 30s, then fell 10 spots, now they are back up. If I were Rochester, I would build a $200 million football stadium and join the MAC, just so guidance counselors could get a clue.

Reaction Score
It depends on what your definition of "top employer" is. When you see job recruiting at a place like Michigan, you see massive corporations hiring kids like a herd of cattle. There's an annex set-up with thousands of interviewers at tables, and half those kids land a job on that day. Goldman Sachs is still practically a boutique place by comparison.

My experience working for one of those "top employers" in the hiring function is fairly close to upstater's description, although he has oversimplified. We actively recruit certain universities and maintain a close communication with the deans of the schools where we've had hiring success. We don't throw away unsolicited resumes either. We enter the data into our systems and mine it if/when we have needs.

Reaction Score
Heh... that seems a bit arbitrary... my high school guidance counselor had a tenious grasp on this kind of thing.

I swear that the (long ago) guidance department at Greenwich would have ranked the eight Ivies at 5.0, Williams, Amherst and Trinity at 4.9 and would have considered rating "others" as beneath their dignity. Those of us less academically endowed were told to become Telephone Company linemen.

Of course it wasn't lost on us that most of their graduate degrees came from Bridgeport. For the last three years, UCONN has been the number one college destination for GHS grads. What would our Counselors think?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I swear that the (long ago) guidance department at Greenwich would have ranked the eight Ivies at 5.0, Williams, Amherst and Trinity at 4.9 and would have considered rating "others" as beneath their dignity. Those of us less academically endowed were told to become Telephone Company linemen.

Of course it wasn't lost on us that most of their graduate degrees came from Bridgeport. For the last three years, UCONN has been the number one college destination for GHS grads. What would our Counselors think?
The more appropriate question is when will they begin to think?:) BTW were you a telephone company lineman?

Reaction Score
I am wondering if the ACC would have been wise to let Louisville go to the Big 12. Perfect fit. There's no way they'll ever really compete against UK, in-state.

Reaction Score
The more appropriate question is when will they begin to think?:) BTW were you a telephone company lineman?

Hardly. Years later, I went back and gently shoved some opinions up some places.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
My experience working for one of those "top employers" in the hiring function is fairly close to upstater's description, although he has oversimplified. We actively recruit certain universities and maintain a close communication with the deans of the schools where we've had hiring success. We don't throw away unsolicited resumes either. We enter the data into our systems and mine it if/when we have needs.
Kind of a blend between the two systems, upstater's and Sportsman5's. Your system is a good one but I'm observing one flaw with it that this thread is pointing out to me. Universities are in a state of flux. It is probably a good idea to keep a pulse of the changes going on at universities and be flexible. If things are trending away from established relationships it would be wise to know this in advance and begin cultivating relationships with these up and comers even as you maintain the current relationship. It would be a failsafe in case things deteriorate in the established places or your competition is ahead of you on this curve. Maybe this is already established at your establishment.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Hardly. Years later, I went back and gently shoved some opinions up some places.
Nothing like succeeding when others say you can't!:)

Reaction Score
You can smell the fear Miami and BCU have with UConn from this chart and from upstaters posts.
Congrats to U Conn on its #57 ranking, great for New England. Students pick schools for a variety of reasons. B.C. is a small private Jesuit school in an urban setting. U Conn is a mid size public secular school located in a rural setting. Could not be more different, nor could the student application pool that both schools draw from. Thats not fear you smell... its confidence. Secure in its long time standing as a institution blessed with academic excellence, and recognized as such on an annual basis. The graduation rate for B.C. scholar athletes is one of the tops in the nation year in and year out.

Reaction Score
Just cause u went to an Ivy League school doesnt mean u'll be able to handle the job better than someone that went to a public school. There have been interns at my company from Cornell and UVA that were either socially awkward and couldnt hold a conversation with the client or were completely lazy and did awful work. Sure if u have 200 resumes u can filter like that but i've been part of some interviews and where they went to school isnt as important as their personality or how sane they come off in interviews.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Congrats to U Conn on its #57 ranking, great for New England. Students pick schools for a variety of reasons. B.C. is a small private Jesuit school in an urban setting. U Conn is a mid size public secular school located in a rural setting. Could not be more different, nor could the student application pool that both schools draw from. Thats not fear you smell... its confidence. Secure in its long time standing as a institution blessed with academic excellence, and recognized as such on an annual basis. The graduation rate for B.C. scholar athletes is one of the tops in the nation year in and year out.
I'm having fun with my fellow Boneyarders who are UConn fans. But there is some truth to what I wrote.

BC's academic standards are not being debated. They are top notch. The fear is amongst the decision makers at BC who felt it necessary to block UConn into the ACC. There is a fear by those people!

I'm a Bucknell graduate. Went to UConn for graduate school. IMO upstater is correct with his prediction that small privates currently in the top tier of education will rapidly fall behind comparable large public institutions, with the exception of a few, which he elaborated on the CR forum.

BC and most privates are at, or just past, the apex of their best years. upstaters contention regarding university trending is not some esoteric, eccentric viewpoint. It is the likely direction of upper education.

Maybe Gene Defilippo ran the CR show without the input of Father Leahy. I seriously doubt it. Any good president of a university has a fiduciary obligation to maximize the university and that includes considering factors that could influence the universities success in the future.

Whether you like it or not, BC, Miami, Syracuse and Bucknell, are the old mechanical Swiss watches. UConn and Rutgers and the NYS universities are the trending quartz watches. There are still some wonderful mechanical watches being made but they, like the future students who will attend the privates, will be coming from a rapidly diminishing clientele base unless standards are compromised.

Reaction Score
Is Uconn "only" $12k a year for in-state? I thought it was much higher.
Fall 2013 I'm paying 11k. If I didn't waive a couple of other things it would be 13 and a half or 14k. So more like 24k a year.

Reaction Score
It depends on what your definition of "top employer" is. When you see job recruiting at a place like Michigan, you see massive corporations hiring kids like a herd of cattle. There's an annex set-up with thousands of interviewers at tables, and half those kids land a job on that day. Goldman Sachs is still practically a boutique place by comparison.

my original point was that the academic quality of the average student at the school matters enormously to many employers. If you want a really good job, than it is going to be astronomically easier if you go to Duke than Penn State because the average student is so much smarter. However, the ranking difference does not accurately reflect how far away they are in terms of reputation of the student. One is a solid school and one is thought by some to be comparable to Ivy League. We can argue back and forth for days, but that is my main point. You can disagree, but I can find 1000s of people in hiring positions who would agree with me.

Reaction Score

obviously only the most exclusive places that get 1000 resumes for 3 positions would not at least glance at most of the resumes they are sent. I used it as an example to demonstrate that many companies will spend very little time on a person's resume and most do not assume that if you are in an honors program that you are comparable to someone who went Harvard.

Reaction Score
Kind of a blend between the two systems, upstater's and Sportsman5's. Your system is a good one but I'm observing one flaw with it that this thread is pointing out to me. Universities are in a state of flux. It is probably a good idea to keep a pulse of the changes going on at universities and be flexible. If things are trending away from established relationships it would be wise to know this in advance and begin cultivating relationships with these up and comers even as you maintain the current relationship. It would be a failsafe in case things deteriorate in the established places or your competition is ahead of you on this curve. Maybe this is already established at your establishment.

Every business is different though. Some of them look for people out of Philosophy or English and avoid the Business school. Others wouldn't be caught dead hiring a Humanities person. There's actually been a ton of research on the differences between the two types of grads, what they've learned in school, what skills they possess, and how these fit with businesses (assuming that Humanities and Business grads are all generalists, which isn't true I suppose for accountants).

Top employers are looking for different types of grads from different places.

Reaction Score
Fall 2013 I'm paying 11k. If I didn't waive a couple of other things it would be 13 and a half or 14k. So more like 24k a year.

He was referring to tuition only. Or are you referring to out-of-state tuition?

Reaction Score
I'm having fun with my fellow Boneyarders who are UConn fans. But there is some truth to what I wrote.

BC's academic standards are not being debated. They are top notch. The fear is amongst the decision makers at BC who felt it necessary to block UConn into the ACC. There is a fear by those people!

I'm a Bucknell graduate. Went to UConn for graduate school. IMO upstater is correct with his prediction that small privates currently in the top tier of education will rapidly fall behind comparable large public institutions, with the exception of a few, which he elaborated on the CR forum.

BC and most privates are at, or just past, the apex of their best years. upstaters contention regarding university trending is not some esoteric, eccentric viewpoint. It is the likely direction of upper education.

Maybe Gene Defilippo ran the CR show without the input of Father Leahy. I seriously doubt it. Any good president of a university has a fiduciary obligation to maximize the university and that includes considering factors that could influence the universities success in the future.

Whether you like it or not, BC, Miami, Syracuse and Bucknell, are the old mechanical Swiss watches. UConn and Rutgers and the NYS universities are the trending quartz watches. There are still some wonderful mechanical watches being made but they, like the future students who will attend the privates, will be coming from a rapidly diminishing clientele base unless standards are compromised.

This wasn't even my opinion but that of top administrators I spoke to at a function a few weeks ago, and one of them was from a private school. What struck me as deadly was their description of the privates as "finishing school."

Laugh all you want at the effort of so many schools to try to be diverse, but if your clientele are 99% very privileged and you aren't conducting top research, you are going to seem very quaint and hoidy-toidy to these people. Personally, having taught very privileged kids before, most of them were smart, polite, energetic, and they didn't hit my Subaru with their Beamers in the parking lot. But, they did not seem all too aware of the world at large. Finishing school? Hardly, they were getting a rigorous education. But, as the future of these schools becomes increasingly monochromatic, there may come a day when a state institution (where most of the STEM work is going on) will ridicule these places as dinosaurs.

Reaction Score
tied with a ton of other schools at 69. Within a few years UConn will easily make the top 50 for reputation. For example, UMass Amherst is tied for 52. Being from Massachusetts I can guarantee that not a single person I have ever spoken to thinks that UMass is a better school than UConn. Most would give a clear advantage to UConn.

Yeah, in guidance councilor rankings maybe UMass leads, but in the REAL US News rankings its UConn 57, UMass 91!

Reaction Score
Yeah, in guidance councilor rankings maybe UMass leads, but in the REAL US News rankings its UConn 57, UMass 91!

But this is a problem. 22.5% of the ranking is guidance counselors.

Reaction Score

It is all a matter of opinion. New does not equal better, the Ivies will attest to that. The word "likely" equals conjecture and trends come and go. Their will always be applicants who seek a unique college experience, and B.C. provides that. Some young people are drawn to excitement of learning and living in a great urban environment like Boston. Some come from a Catholic background others do not, but it is available if one desires to continue a traditional Catholic education. California has been the fastest growing undergrad population from under 2% to 7% and still climbing. In a small institution that is a significant jump and speaks to the B.C. appeal with the young in California. Yes..... some people prefer a smaller intimate setting versus a larger state school.

A school like B.C. 150 years and counting will survive and thrive because it built its reputation and maintained it over many many decades with great academic success. Im not even sure why you started with the whole Gene D. (whom I never supported or liked) and Father Lahey thing. Since you did, I will say that mistakes were made.....on both sides. I have advocated my support numerous times for the inclusion of U Conn to become the next member of the A.C.C. or BIG. It would be good for both schools to become rivals on the sports front I refuse to play the superiority game my school is better than your school cr@# .....never have, never will. Each institution should be proud of its well earned ranking and New England as a whole should be extra proud at the amazing number of top flight schools that appear on this years list yet again.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It is all a matter of opinion. New does not equal better, the Ivies will attest to that. The word "likely" equals conjecture and trends come and go. Their will always be applicants who seek a unique college experience, and B.C. provides that. Some young people are drawn to excitement of learning and living in a great urban environment like Boston. Some come from a Catholic background others do not, but it is available if one desires to continue a traditional Catholic education. California has been the fastest growing undergrad population from under 2% to 7% and still climbing. In a small institution that is a significant jump and speaks to the B.C. appeal with the young in California. Yes..... some people prefer a smaller intimate setting versus a larger state school.

A school like B.C. 150 years and counting will survive and thrive because it built its reputation and maintained it over many many decades with great academic success. Im not even sure why you started with the whole Gene D. (whom I never supported or liked) and Father Lahey thing. Since you did, I will say that mistakes were made.....on both sides. I have advocated my support numerous times for the inclusion of U Conn to become the next member of the A.C.C. or BIG. It would be good for both schools to become rivals on the sports front I refuse to play the superiority game my school is better than your school cr@# .....never have, never will. Each institution should be proud of its well earned ranking and New England as a whole should be extra proud at the amazing number of top flight schools that appear on this years list yet again.
I've read your opinions on the CR board and would have appreciated you being the decision maker when it came time for a vote on UConn into the ACC. But sadly you weren't and those who decided didn't do it on a whimsy. I brought in Flipper and Father as an explanation of my flippant statement "you can smell the fear of Cuse and BC" remark I made earlier in this thread.

All we are doing is conjecturing about the future of higher education. And yes BC and Bucknell will survive. But will they continue in their current rendition or will circumstances change their status. We'll find out in 20 minutes.

If you have a better explanation why BC was adamant against UConn going into the ACC I would love to hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom