OT: UConn Hockey @ #9 Providence tonight... | The Boneyard

OT: UConn Hockey @ #9 Providence tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What does this mean m in the big picture for those of us that aren't rabid fans? Does this mean that we are actually going to be able to compete right away in HE or is this a fluke?

I love to watch live college hockey as I went to many BU games in the 90's. However, I have no grasp where UConn is today in terms of talent on the roster.

Reaction Score
What does this mean m in the big picture for those of us that aren't rabid fans? Does this mean that we are actually going to be able to compete right away in HE or is this a fluke?

I love to watch live college hockey as I went to many BU games in the 90's. However, I have no grasp where UConn is today in terms of talent on the roster.

Well, they have talent, a bunch of incoming talent and a good coaching staff. That's 2 "hockey east" wins so far this year. BC level? - not yet, but in my opinion competitive yes. Will need a few years more of recruiting to be a consistent winner.

Reaction Score

Huge win tonight... caught the Bentley Game last weekend in Boston. Very impressive. Number of first year schollies on the team. awesome hockey being played. Recruiting very heavily. if you haven't caught a game-worth the price of admission...you won't be disappointed. !! Real good first year staff assembled. Cav had 17 years behind the bench with Jerry York at BC.

Reaction Score
ZooCougar said:
Holy Crap! You mean Providence was actually Top 10 in something?
That's soon to be past tense thanks to Matt Grogan's 58 saves and UCONN's 2nd defeat of a future Hockey East Conference opponent this season (2-1 vs HE teams).

Next against Holy Cross, the Huskies need to bounce back from Sat's Bentley Atlantic Hockey conference loss. Before the AHA conference playoffs, UCONN has 6 more games to win.

Reaction Score
A notch under their proverbial belt and a big boost heading into the home stretch of schedule. Now winning a conference championship would be a great way to head into Hockey East.

Just for some reference about UConn vs. top teams:

2012-13: lost 4-1 @ UMass (2nd game of the season) & @ #2 Quinnipiac 2-1 with Quinnipiac scoring the GWG with under 5min in the 3rd.

This year: Wins against #9 Providence 3-2 and UMass 2-1. Losses @ BU 4-1, @ #18 Minnesota State 6-1 & 2-1.

Once the scholarships start rolling in we should be on even better footing to compete.

Last edited:

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I am going to try for senior night on the 21st… I believe they are skating against Army.

Reaction Score
A notch under their proverbial belt and a big boost heading into the home stretch of schedule. Now winning a conference championship would be a great way to head into Hockey East.

Just for some reference about UConn vs. top teams:

2012-13: lost 4-1 @ UMass (2nd game of the season) & @ #2 Quinnipiac 2-1 with Quinnipiac scoring the GWG with under 5min in the 3rd.

This year: Wins against #9 Providence 3-2 and UMass 2-1. Losses @ BU 4-1, @ #18 Minnesota State 6-1 & 2-1.

Once the scholarships start rolling in we should be on even better footing to compete.
They tied Union 2-2 early in the season. Is that the same Union that's ranked #3?

Reaction Score
They tied Union 2-2 early in the season. Is that the same Union that's ranked #3?
Yup. The ECAC is great.

Bruce Marshall is somewhere smiling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This was a great win. But you can't count on getting 58 saves every night. Then again, hockey is a little like baseball in that a hot goalie, like a hot pitcher, can carry a team to a win against a better opponent. Big picture, I think UConn can come into Hockey East next year and not be a distant 12th. They aren't going to win the title or anything but they are not going to be an automatic win either. It is going to take a few years to build up the depth they'll need. to give some perspective, the AHA is the mid-major of college hockey. Hockey East is arguably the best conference in the country. In terms of their roster, they a just beginning to add scholarship players. On the other hand they've got a few pretty good hockey players over the past few seasons. The kid who scored one and had an assist, for example, Patrick Kirkland, is a nice player. You can tell by watching him that he knows the game. The frosh defenseman, Segalla is a Penguins draft choice (hockey rules about being drafted are different from football and basketball, obviously). He is a really good hockey player. The frosh goalie has looked very good, though not so much in his last outing. they will miss the 4 seniors, though. Be interesting to see who steps up particularly as a scorer.

Reaction Score
I've said all along that UCONN would be competitive in hockey very quickly. We don't have the conference challenge we do with other our other sports and there has been a solid commitment to compete at the highest level. Within 5 years we will compete with the Boston schools on equal footing....including BC.

Reaction Score
UConn should have an advantage in recruiting over most of the schools in hockey east.

It looks a lot like the old Yankee Conference with Maine, UMass, New Hampshire, Vermont, Boston University and Northeastern.
Add in BE teams like PC and BCU. Rounding out the league, the tiny schools Merrimack and UMass Lowell.

In terms of the campus, the academics and college experience, none of the schools really rival Storrs. We will trail in facilities and heritage for a bit. But we should be competitive on a fast track.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I really believe next year will be a big year for UConn hockey. I think the region has been starved for 'top-flight' hockey and UConn will fill that void nicely. When ads starting going out that UConn is playing Maine, BC, BU, etc. I fully expect many thousands in the Civic Center. And ultimately, I think we will turn a few heads regarding B1G schools.

While we lack recruiting territory for football programs, we do provide amazing access to both bball and hockey talent forB1G schools. Ultimately, I think we get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom