OT: UConn baseball in Hartford next Thursday | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn baseball in Hartford next Thursday

Reaction Score
They announced 2,828 but to me it looked like more. The stadium was pretty full. The OF was blocked off but that doesn't account for much seating in the park. Weird.

Reaction Score
They mentioned something during the coverage that all of the family and friends of the players wouldn't have counted toward the total. Not sure why though.

Reaction Score
I totally would have gone tonight but I couldn't leave work early since I'm about to be on vacation (Clearwater...not sure what there is to do there next week).

Reaction Score
I totally would have gone tonight but I couldn't leave work early since I'm about to be on vacation (Clearwater...not sure what there is to do there next week).
Have fun. Went down in March for a spring training tour and one of our steps was the Phillies park in Clearwater. Honestly I thought it was one of the nicest stadiums we went to.

Reaction Score
Have fun. Went down in March for a spring training tour and one of our steps was the Phillies park in Clearwater. Honestly I thought it was one of the nicest stadiums we went to.

Thanks. It's a great stadium. I've been down a few times with some friends and family. We love the area and plan the trip around the tournament.

Reaction Score
They mentioned something during the coverage that all of the family and friends of the players wouldn't have counted toward the total. Not sure why though.

Ok, that would explain it then. People must've not been rolled in to the total figure if they received complimentary tickets because the stadium was easily over half full (and likely closer to 75% than 50% capacity). Very successful first game in Hartford.

Reaction Score
They should play a game in Bridgeport like the basketball teams did. I'd like to think the turnout would be pretty good.

Reaction Score
It looked like the players really liked the atmosphere. JC and KO at the game. One small criticism-about 2/3 of the food options were closed for the game. Not sure why. Very nice park.

Reaction Score
18527366_673731386147974_4374690736004379134_o.jpg

Reaction Score
They should play a game in Bridgeport like the basketball teams did. I'd like to think the turnout would be pretty good.
The Bridgeport ballpark is really showing it's age. The field is not well maintained and Sacred Heart play their home games there. The Bpt location would be good but the park is a drawback.

Reaction Score
What a great night for baseball in the city!! Warm breeze, beer, good crowd, and a win. How much better can it get!! Too all the naysayers who said building a baseball stadium in Hartford was a bad idea I'm sorry last night doesn't fit your narrative. Hopefully, there will be more nights in the city to enjoy with UConn. I would hope UConn can get the AAC tournament brought to Hartford to be played a Dunkin Donuts Park. Would be a great venue! I was also think the 2,800 was an underestimate. Looked more like 4,000. Especially with all the people standing in the corridors.

Reaction Score
Any legit insights on why the home team sat in the visitor's dugout?

They utilize the third base dugout @ J.O.C in Storrs as the "home team" dugout. My sense is that since Penders coaches 3rd base it's his preference to be close to dugout.

Reaction Score
When do the discussions begin about playing a set amount of games in Hartford every year? The players definitely want it to happen and it will help elevate the program to new heights. Get it done!

My thinking would be to play 6 in Hartford a year and spread them out 1 by 1 instead of playing an entire 3 games series like last night. It would be great if there were a couple games in the beginning of the season, 2 in the middle of the season and 2 at the end.

Reaction Score
When do the discussions begin about playing a set amount of games in Hartford every year? The players definitely want it to happen and it will help elevate the program to new heights. Get it done!

My thinking would be to play 6 in Hartford a year and spread them out 1 by 1 instead of playing an entire 3 games series like last night. It would be great if there were a couple games in the beginning of the season, 2 in the middle of the season and 2 at the end.

There is mutual interest as it currently the only home night game option. Future games will be based off of YardGoat schedules/field availability and opponents. (last night was put together in just 10 days). I could easily see a mid-week non-conference game against Hartford in the future (UMass/BC as well).

Last night was a one off... the next two games v. ECU are @ Storrs.

Reaction Score
My phrasing caused some confusion, I said 'like last night' meaning how they only played the 1 off game and that was the right approach. Do that 6 times in a season over 6 separate series. It would be tough to squeeze in an entire 3 game series in 1 night ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Any legit insights on why the home team sat in the visitor's dugout?

Went to a couple Yard Goat games and I think they used the third base dug out too. So maybe that's the way it was constructed at Dunkin Donuts Park.

Reaction Score
They utilize the third base dugout @ J.O.C in Storrs as the "home team" dugout. My sense is that since Penders coaches 3rd base it's his preference to be close to dugout.
Interesting; thank you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom