OT: Uconn Admissions | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Uconn Admissions

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So you don't think those surnames would make it in on their merits?
That's a totally different question and not the question I am curious about. What I am curious about the surname blind admissions class.....it would have interesting results.

Reaction Score
My niece is #3 in her class of 646 and got 1400 on her SATs. She didn’t get into UF as an in state applicant. State flagships are getting so competitive that it is a disservice to residents. Not terribly surprised on the out of state rejection given the above. UConn and UF are similar.
Students in the 1970s could get into Florida with C grades. When their kids tried to in the 90s they couldn't get in with A grades and had to go to USF, UCF etc. My sister's best friend couldn't get into UCONN in 1998 with excellent grades, but got into BC and went to Bucknell.
It is ironic since 3 small VT private schools are closing in 2019 and 2 state schools merged. And the CT community colleges are merging in 2023. My other sister went to Southern CT for teaching when it was 20,000 students, now 13,000.
I wouldn't send my kid to a private college unless the endowment was North of 500MM.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Students in the 1970s could get into Florida with C grades. When their kids tried to in the 90s they couldn't get in with A grades and had to go to USF, UCF etc. My sister's best friend couldn't get into UCONN in 1998 with excellent grades, but got into BC and went to Bucknell.
It is ironic since 3 small VT private schools are closing in 2019 and 2 state schools merged. And the CT community colleges are merging in 2023. My other sister went to Southern CT for teaching when it was 20,000 students, now 13,000.
I wouldn't send my kid to a private college unless the endowment was North of 500MM.
What VT schools are closing?

Reaction Score
What VT schools are closing?
Southern VT College, announced yesterday. Green Mountain College announced two months ago. Goddard College is under probation
Lyndon State, which produces many meteorologists merged with another state school.
VT only has 600k residents, many over the age of 50, and declining enrollment in high schools.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Why is it that nursing schools are so selective but when I go to the Dr. the nurses are clueless.

My last trip I told the nurse I had a detached retina and she asked me which knee. This was after she took my BP with the cuff over my sweatshirt.
The nurse probably wasn't an RN or LPN. More likely a certified nurse's assistant (CNA). I can tell you first hand, nursing school is no joke.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The nurse probably wasn't an RN or LPN. More likely a certified nurse's assistant (CNA). I can tell you first hand, nursing school is no joke.

Oh I know - I’ve watched people struggle at Goodwin. I’m not quite sure how you get certified in anything in nursing and cant take a BP.

Reaction Score
Heard almost impossible to transfer into business or engineering
3 years ago a 3.5 was the bar to get in to the business school. You needed a 3.0 as a sophomore to stay in if you got in from high school.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
My son had 1300 SATs and was ranked in top 10 of his class of 600 seniors - don't know what his GPA was but I know very few Bs. 1999 he gets a Nutmeg scholarship from UConn - everything but books paid for.
Also got accepted at Bates where he wanted to play soccer but wouldn't give him crap for money, that being with 4 family members as Bates grads and donating alumni - go figure
Last year, neighbors daughter mirrors my son's stats, in top 15 of same size class, was told no go at UConn, yet her Best Friend who is a minority with less impressive grades and nearly zero extra curricular activities gets into Storrs - it's hard to figure
My neighbor is now going to Gtown and she's happy Her father wearing that Gtown basketball sweatshirt is killing me
BTW - her best friend hates UConn and is xfering to Quinnipiac next fall - there's an opening in the soph class!!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Interesting thread. Hopefully our new President retrenches and uses the investments made by the taxpayers of the State of Connecticut to focus on educating the children of those taxpayers instead of trying to extract max tuition from foreign and out of state students to feed their bottomless pit of spending.

Here is to an administration that runs the school for it’s constituents and not to personally enrich their cronies and chase meaningless magazine distinctions.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Interesting thread. Hopefully our new President retrenches and uses the investments made by the taxpayers of the State of Connecticut to focus on educating the children of those taxpayers instead of trying to extract max tuition from foreign and out of state students to feed their bottomless pit of spending.

Here is to an administration that runs the school for it’s consitutents and not to personally enrich their croneys and chace meaningless magazine distinctions.
ha - you are so funny sometimes.

Reaction Score
Southern VT College, announced yesterday. Green Mountain College announced two months ago. Goddard College is under probation
Lyndon State, which produces many meteorologists merged with another state school.
VT only has 600k residents, many over the age of 50, and declining enrollment in high schools.
Lyndon State and Johnson State have merged and are now Northern VT University (dual campus). Haven't followed too closely but I don't think the schools are in jeopardy of closing. Both serve the communities well.

Johnson State was very strong in the environmental sciences.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You’re a Kansas man right? Doesn’t KU and KSU have great deals for in-state kids?

Side note- my brother applied to (and a will graduate in May from) Nebraska and wound up paying less than he would have anywhere in state. 3.9 GPA 1350 SAT kid in high school. Working foir a top 3 US bank upon graduation graduating with a 3.3 GPA. It’s really less about where you go to school and if you 1. Get good (enough) grades and 2. Can get scholarship money to help out.

Grew up in CT but KU was Law school. Yes, KU USNWR rankings are dragged down by the fact that all state schools have to admit anyone who graduates a KS HS with a certain GPA and SAT/ACT score. But from a standpoint of serving the people of the state there is a definite logic to that law.

I’d be happy if my daughter went to school outside of the northeast.

Reaction Score
Hard to predict the why and how of admissions. Friend’s son got into Colorado, Syracuse, UMass, UDenver and Penn State; was wait listed by Wisconsin—and rejected by Michigan, Georgia and UConn. Go figure.
Another friend’s son was a top scholar from a well known MA prep school with almost perfect SAT’s. He’d interned at Harvard during his last two high school summers working on a DNA genome study. Encouraged by his counselor, he applied to every IVY. Since his mother was Mexican by birth his counselor suggested he take advantage of his Hispanic heritage on the application. He decided not to do so saying he didn’t want to “game the system”. To the family’s shock, every school rejected him.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Hard to predict the why and how of admissions. Friend’s son got into Colorado, Syracuse, UMass, UDenver and Penn State; was wait listed by Wisconsin—and rejected by Michigan, Georgia and UConn. Go figure.
Another friend’s son was a top scholar from a well known MA prep school with almost perfect SAT’s. He’d interned at Harvard during his last two high school summers working on a DNA genome study. Encouraged by his counselor, he applied to every IVY. Since his mother was Mexican by birth his counselor suggested he take advantage of his Hispanic heritage on the application. He decided not to do so saying he didn’t want to “game the system”. To the family’s shock, every school rejected him.

Don't feel bad for this kid at all. Legacy kids would never, not use that to get into school why would this kid not use his "heritage"

Reaction Score

Apparently, the schools are right, he isn't very smart.

Reaction Score
Apparently, the schools are right, he isn't very smart.
Well, the kid could be reasonably smart and still lack the common sense to acknowledge every Ivy receives droves of qualifying applications from his highfalutin MA prep school. No guaranteed safety school? C'mon, at least apply to be miserable for a prospective 4 or more miserable Artic winters in sorrycuse.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I had a friend in high school get denied by Georgia and get accepted by Penn. You just never know until you apply.

Reaction Score
Well, the kid could be reasonably smart and still lack the common sense to acknowledge every Ivy receives droves of qualifying applications from his highfalutin MA prep school. No guaranteed safety school? C'mon, at least apply to be miserable for a prospective 4 or more miserable Artic winters in sorrycuse.

Though no longer the automatic Ivy League admissions vehicles they used to be, highfalutin MA prep schools have college counseling departments with direct contacts into every Ivy League admissions office. They still generally get their top kids in and even if the kid didn't want to "game the system" the school is still strongly incented to get as many kids as possible into name brand schools. Many a counselor wouldn't be above dropping a hint or two that would make a student more admittable. That would be especially true if he/she was doing real research at Harvard (as opposed to someone we know that sent their kid to a paid summer program there and assumed it would give her a leg up even though the school specifically said otherwise). Something doesn't add up.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Though no longer the automatic Ivy League admissions vehicles they used to be, highfalutin MA prep schools have college counseling departments with direct contacts into every Ivy League admissions office. They still generally get their top kids in and even if the kid didn't want to "game the system" the school is still strongly incented to get as many kids as possible into name brand schools. Many a counselor wouldn't be above dropping a hint or two that would make a student more admittable. That would be especially true if he/she was doing real research at Harvard (as opposed to someone we know that sent their kid to a paid summer program there and assumed it would give her a leg up even though the school specifically said otherwise). Something doesn't add up.
Dropping a hint of his Mexican heritage does not help. Schools need that info to be public so they can use it as admissions info for public consumption.

Reaction Score
I love these schools acting like their commodity is better than everyone else's commodity.

Undergraduate education, with only a very few exceptions, is plywood. Find the cheapest place that you're comfortable and go with it. Tough message for an 18 year old worried about status, born to parents worried about their kids' status . . .

This is what we instilled in our daughter. She got into UMich Nursing, #5 program in the country, and picked UCONN Nursing over UMich and several other big name schools. (There's a post on the BY somewhere about it.)

Our town is extremely tough when it comes to status, and she struggled watching her friends pick schools where cost wasn't a factor for them. This time last year was a horribly stressful time for us.

My wife and I put together a spreadsheet showing what we have saved over 18 years (for two kids), what each of her admitted schools cost, and what debt she would have in 2022 before thinking about her next life adventure. It really helped her get over the status "problem". The day she texted me blue hearts and dog prints was one of the happiest days of my life and not just because of the financial implications.

Reaction Score
This is very false. For instance, to transfer into the business school once you are a student you need something like a 3.6-3.7 GPA. For the nursing school its even higher, like 3.8+. Im sure the engineering school is similar.

Yikes, in the '90's I transferred into the business school from liberal arts for my junior year after I spent my first year in engineering. Between Calc III, Fortran, and doing the century club every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night my freshman year, I'm not sure I got a 3.7 by combining those two semesters. Luckily for me, I learned my lesson and did not get below a 3.5 my last 4 semesters in Storrs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom