OT - Trip To Iceland and Possibly Denmark | The Boneyard

OT - Trip To Iceland and Possibly Denmark

Reaction Score
I'm planning a trip to Iceland and my itinerary is pretty much defined at this point. Spending a couple of days in Reykjavik and then doing a lot of the touristy sites including the rift valley, geysers, waterfalls, a glacier and one of the national parks.

The trip is for 6 days and I'm considering extending it to include Denmark. I know a couple of people who have been to Iceland, so I have some good info for that trip, but know very little about Denmark other than some limited general knowledge of Copenhagen. Have any of you been to Denmark/Copenhagan and if so would greatly appreciate any input and insight you can provide. Any recommendations for Iceland would be welcome as well. Thanks.

Reaction Score
I want to go to Iceland when I can play golf all damn day like 144 holes:eek:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
My sum total knowledge of Denmark is that the best coffee is at The Coffee Collective, with a couple locations in Copenhagen, and if you can lay your hands on a bottle of "Evil Twin's Wet Dream", you should go for it (it's a brown ale infused with coffee).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm planning a trip to Iceland and my itinerary is pretty much defined at this point. Spending a couple of days in Reykjavik and then doing a lot of the touristy sites including the rift valley, geysers, waterfalls, a glacier and one of the national parks.

The trip is for 6 days and I'm considering extending it to include Denmark. I know a couple of people who have been to Iceland, so I have some good info for that trip, but know very little about Denmark other than some limited general knowledge of Copenhagen. Have any of you been to Denmark/Copenhagan and if so would greatly appreciate any input and insight you can provide. Any recommendations for Iceland would be welcome as well. Thanks.
I work now and then in Iceland. I always have a good time. Very expensive though. Be prepared to pay $ 25 for a sandwich at subway. There is a food stand trailer that sells really good lobster rolls, I wish I could tell you the address but I can not remember or spell or pronounce their street names. It’s at a square near the viking ship replica/ monument. If you find it, up the hill a ways is a punk rock museum on the right, a little further a great breakfast joint on the right,on the corner
of bankastr. , like bank street and a bit further one of the best bars, where I hang when I am there.The street is laka something. Has letters not on my phone. If you ask any local around there where is the bar owned by Ossur& Linda they can tell you. Seems like the place never closes.I just can’t remember names because their language is strange. They even use letters we don’t have. It’s like a small town there, not a city. Never gets dark this time of year. I don’t like the puffin birds which are on the menu everywhere, they are like some type of penguin. But maybe you’ll like it. The seafood is great up there. The sky at night in summer is beautiful, many colors. But to see the northern lights you got to get out of town.

Reaction Score
All of the Scandonavian countries are pretty pricey, but worth it.

Reaction Score

My sister came back from a two week trip to Iceland with a friend. Loved it. Had an awesome time. Some of the pictures of the landscapes are stunning. Lots of lagoons and waterfalls.

Reaction Score

I've been to Copenhagen for work a few times and absolutely loved it. Spend an evening in Copenhagen and you'll see why Danes are usually ranked as the happiest people in the world. It is a beautiful city and If I recall much more reasonably priced than other Scandinavian cities like Oslo, Stockholm and Reykjavik.

Reaction Score
My wife is a 1/4 Icelandic and have been there twice in the last three years. Reykjavik is a very chill town and everything you'd want to see there is within walking distance. I highly recommend staying at the Icelandair hotel if you are planning on keeping Reykjavik your homebase. Everyone there is super nice, accommodating and speak English quite well. However, if you want more of a local experience, check out some of the basement bars in town. We went on a trivia night and it was all in Icelandic. It was kinda cool sitting there sipping on a drink when you can't understand the host, save for a few proper nouns like "Michael Jordan" or "Nightmare on Elm Street". I don't recommend staying in Reykjavik for your whole trip if you want to see the whole island, however, if you only stay there, it's just a few hours away from plenty of excellent sights.

Keflavik, the town in which you fly into, isn't much of a town, but it's pretty chill and has beautiful views of the ocean. The Blue Lagoon is pretty cool, and nearby Keflavik, but overrated, IMO, but worth checking out.

If you are going to rent a car, you MUST do it directly from the airport and reserve ahead. You'll save hundreds of dollars a day compared to renting in Reykjavik.

Reaction Score
Denmark is beautiful (and painfully expensive, one of its only downfalls) and you would not be doing the country, or Iceland, justice by splitting 6 days between two countries. IMO, stay in Iceland and truly experience that country as it is super beautiful too.

As for Denmak, I spent a lot of time in the countryside outside of Aarhus as I had a friend there, biked into Aarhus proper. I stopped by a beautiful outdoors museum, do not remember the name but upon googling, it could be Den Gamle By. Dragør is a beautiful town outside of Copenhagen and I remember taking a day trip there. When I went there were not a lot of tourists and it did not strike me as being crowded. Maybe it had yet to take off and I am sure a lot has changed since 2008 when I went. Roskilde is also cool. Copenhagen has the little mermaid statue but there was a second one with messed up dna too which was better.
(The Genetically Modified Little Mermaid)

There is a little "hippy" town literally inside of Copehnagen, I want to say Christiania which was real interesting to walk around around.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Denmark is beautiful (and painfully expensive, one of its only downfalls) and you would not be doing the country, or Iceland, justice by splitting 6 days between two countries. IMO, stay in Iceland and truly experience that country as it is super beautiful too.

As for Denmak, I spent a lot of time in the countryside outside of Aarhus as I had a friend there, biked into Aarhus proper. I stopped by a beautiful outdoors museum, do not remember the name but upon googling, it could be Den Gamle By. Dragør is a beautiful town outside of Copenhagen and I remember taking a day trip there. When I went there were not a lot of tourists and it did not strike me as being crowded. Maybe it had yet to take off and I am sure a lot has changed since 2008 when I went. Roskilde is also cool. Copenhagen has the little mermaid statue but there was a second one with messed up dna too which was better.
(The Genetically Modified Little Mermaid)

There is a little "hippy" town literally inside of Copehnagen, I want to say Christiania which was real interesting to walk around around.

After giving my itinerary some more thought, especially re: Denmark, I came away with your recommendation of focusing exclusively on Iceland. Denmark would be nice and probably warrants a separate trip at some point as there are a number of sites other than Copenhagen I'd like to visit. I added an additional day in Iceland giving me 7 days which allows some additional site seeing and more time enjoying Reykjavik. Thanks for your feedback as well as the others that posted. Everyone I've talked to that has been to Iceland loved it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom